Blog Gallery News Help Contact Us

This information is for users of Memory Manager and/or StoryBook Creator who wish to start using Panstoria’s Historian and/or Artisan programs instead.  The pixels2Pages team uses software that has been provided to us by Panstoria, as we are their industry partners and official trainers.  If your current programs are working, there is no necessity to change immediately; however, Memory Manager and StoryBook Creator are no longer being supported or updated, and they cannot be activated if it is necessary to move them to a new computer.   We recommend that you make the switch as soon as it is feasible for you.  When you are ready to make the transition, these are the steps to follow:

Memory Manager to Historian

If you do not own Historian, we invite you to purchase it by clicking through our affiliate LINK.  By clicking this link first, pixels2Pages will receive a commission when you make a purchase, but it will not cost you anything extra.  Your support allows us to enhance pixels2Pages and helps us remain a viable company.

When you open Historian you’ll see that it looks very similar to Memory Manager, so you will be very comfortable and be able to easily find your way around.

Historian

To open an existing Memory Manager Memory vault, simply click Open another vault from the Home Ribbon on the Welcome page. Browse to the location of your MM Vault. Click once to select the vault and click “Select Folder”.

Historian_001

Your Memory vault will open, and will look the same as it did in MM. All your sorting – categories, tags, star ratings, ‘Tell the Story’ etc will be intact.

To find out where your memory vault is, open Memory Manager. On the welcome screen, the file location of your memory vault will be visible at the top left of the screen, just under the tabs.

Historian_002

Notes:

• Historian will open Memory vaults from MM2 or MM3, you do not need to upgrade to MM4 first. However you will notice a number of improvements and changes in Historian, if you have been using MM2 or 3. You might like to watch these two videos: “Open the Door to Memory Manager 4.0 – Segment 1 and Segment 2
  • Since Historian and MM4 are so similar, all the training in MM4 on www.pixels2Pages.net also applies to Historian. Here is a LINK to the Snap2Share section of the website, which covers Memory Manager and Historian training.

StoryBook Creator to Artisan

If you do not own Artisan, we invite you to purchase it by clicking through our affiliate LINK.  By clicking this link first, pixels2Pages will receive a commission when you make a purchase, but it will not cost you anything extra.  Your support allows us to enhance pixels2Pages and helps us remain a viable company.

5  September 2013:  NEWS FLASH!  CM and Panstoria have reached an agreement regarding use of StoryBook Creator  content in Artisan.  Open your SBC program and read the news feed (on the right side of the opening page).  Click HERE for more information.

When you open Artisan you’ll see that it looks very similar to StoryBook Creator 4.0, so you will be very comfortable and be able to easily find your way around.

To create a new Artisan project, simply follow the steps as you would have in SBC4.

Click on File>New>New Project

Artisan

— OR —

Click Create Project on the Home Ribbon

Artisan_001

— OR —

Choose Create a new project or page on the Welcome page.

Artisan_002

All your current projects and content will transfer automatically – HERE is some more information about that.

Should you wish to become a Panstoria affiliate, click HERE.  By clicking this link, pixels2Pages will earn a small commission every time you do.  It will not affect the amount you earn as an affiliate.

Tagged with →

101 Responses to Tip: How to switch to Panstoria Software

1. Jeannie says:

For the past several years, I’ve been using SBC+ 3.0 on a MacBook Pro with Parallels and Windows XP. My new MBP will arrive next week and I’m planning to use Artisan with Parallels and Windows 8. Do I need to put 3.0 and all my add ons on the new laptop before installing Artisan? Will it recognize 3.0 and migrate everything like it does with 4.0?

• Shelley says:

Firstly, you are in for a treat! A lovely new computer and upgrading from SBC3 – fun, fun, fun! You don’t need to install SBC on the new computer, just go straight to Artisan. You’ll need to copy any digital content. Here is some info on moving to a new computer.

2. Cindy says:

Hi, we have a new windows 8 64 bit laptop and are trying to figure out how to get from memory manager & story book creator to something that will work. It appears artisan and historian are extremely similar to the cm software. Is it possible to use artisan with all of the digital content purchased from CM storybook, i.e. digital kits, predesigned pages, etc.? How do we transfer content from both mm/sbc to the new machine for use with panstoria? If we purchase historian, will memory manager migrate in all of the existing content/photos? Do we need to put the old cm software on the new machine, or just the vault and kits/pages? Thank you

• Jan says:

Cindy, we have lots of information on the website that will answer your questions, but the short answer is yes. You can use your CM content with Artisan. The easiest way to transfer those files, your projects, and your images from the old computer to the new is to use an external hard drive. You do not need to put the old software on the new computer. HERE are some posts that you will want to read through before you begin the process.

3. Joni Beugnot says:

Hi. Not sure if this has been asked & answered, but I am considering purchasing Artisan for a 2nd laptop. Can I copy my CM content to that laptop and use with Artisan while still using SB4 on the other laptop with the same CM content?

• Shelley says:

Yes, you can. Good question.

• Shari Repman says:

Hi Shelley! Just purchased Artisan and Historian (waited until the last minute!) I can import all my papers and embellishments into Artisan, it seems, without problem, but the tags I added to all my content doesn’t transfer with the content. Is there a way to transfer the tags as well? Thanks!

• Shelley says:

Tags are attached to the folders that contain your content. If you copied the folders intact, the tags should still be there. Is it all tags that are missing or only certain kits?

4. Lisa Norling says:

Hi! I recently purchased Artisan and it looks like it does not recognize my Memory Vault :( will the work together or am i required to purchase Historian at the same time (kind of trying to spread out my expenses :))

• Shelley says:

Artisan is the new version of StoryBook Creator. Historian is the equivalent of Memory Manager. Artisan is for digital scrapbooking, and Historian is for photo organization. You don’t need to purchase both at the same time, but we recommend that you don’t wait too long. You can continue to use MM with Artisan if you prefer, for now.

• Suzi Leverington says:

Hi Shelly, I’m thinking Lisa may mean when you are in Memory Manager you can’t send images into Artisan directly to create pages like we can with Storybook? Do Artisan & Historian have the same link from one to the other like we had with the CM versions?

• Shelley says:

Ah, OK. You can share directly from Memory Manager to Artisan. You have to choose ‘Share to SBC’ from the menu, but if you have any Artisan projects open, MM will recognize those as if they were SBC projects.

5. Penny Andler says:

Here it is October, and I’m finally getting to this. I plan to upgrade and to recommend to CM customers that they do so too–for the reason of software support. But I have a few who do not want to purchase Artisan’s software. They need to get MM onto their new laptop but they purchased a download. Is there any way to do this? I’m not sure how to instruct them?
    ~Penny

• Shelley says:

If they have saved their downloaded installer file, they can activate the installation online until then end of December. However if they only have the email, they will not be able to download Memory Manager. If you have a disc with MM on it, you could allow them to install it from your disc, but they will need their own activation code (which will be in their email, I believe.)

6. Marci says:

Good Morning. I just purchased Historian and downloaded it to my computer. Can/should I just uninstall MM4? What should I look for in Historian to make sure all is well before I do anything?
    Thanks.

• Shelley says:

Congratulations! Just make sure your Memory Vault (or Vaults, if you have more than one) open OK in Historian. If so you can delete MM4, but you don’t have to.

• Marci says:

Just thinking I don’t want to take up the memory and space on my hard drive if I don’t need to. I do have a shadow copy if anything goes wrong.

Also, if I get a new computer in the near future, will I be able to activate Historian on the new computer and deactivate it on the old one? If I remember right I was able to do that with MM.

7. Ann Opdycke says:

I have just purchased Artisan through your site. My question is in regards to Commercial kits. I have downloaded the free kit from Artisan. Do you recommend keeping kits from Artisan in a separate folder from our SB kits or putting them all together in one folder? Thanks for keeping us updated on what has been happening and for all that you will be providing to help us adjust to the new program.

• Shelley says:

It is up to you Ann, whether you keep your kits in separate folders. Personally I find it easier to keep everything in one folder, and then I use categories within Artisan to help sort my content.

8. Tracey Ewing says:

Do you have a link/tip to show us how to import artwork and/or CM packages into Artisan?

• Shelley says:

If you are switching from SBC to Artisan, the program will do it for you. Run the update that was released a little while ago – check your Artisan welcome screen – and follow the onscreen steps. It is too easy!

9. paula gallay says:

I’ve read the questions and didn’t see anything about this (sorry if I missed it.) My computer died in August. I got a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8 on 8/27/13. Reloaded MM3 on (I couldn’t find my MM4 upgrade). Now 3 times, my CM vault has “disappeared” Have you heard of this “glitch” with CM and Windows 8? Is it worth it locate my CM vault again (if it’s just going to keep disappearing?) If I switch to Artisan or Historian, are you experiencing this glitch? Should I wait on the CM-Panstoria agreement before buying Artisan or Historian? I’ve already lost my 2012 Storybook (since my computer died while I was making it.) I don’t want to start again until my software is running more smoothly. Feeling frustrated.

• Shelley says:

I have not heard of that issue, but I suspect the problem may be that you are using old software (MM3) with a new operating system (Windows 8). My suggestion would be to upgrade to Historian and you should be right. The agreement between CM and Panstoria has been approved by the courts now, & I think you will be much happier working with Historian and Artisan. Here are the links to purchase if you are ready – Historian and Artisan.

10. Teresa says:

Tonight I installed the Artisan I bought last week- it went quick and easy! Very pleased!

However, I had a question: once the court approves the deal, will I need all those content activation codes from my CM content for it to work in Artisan? I have them, but the thought of entering more than 200 codes is a bit mind-boggling.

TIA

• Shelley says:

Congratulations! Yes, you will need all the activation codes, but the good news is we have instructions for installing them all at once – here’s the TIP.

• Marjorie Webb says:

When I clicked on the link for the TIP when installing all the activation codes from SB to Artisan, it doesn’t work. Has it been removed?

• Shelley says:

The tip seems to be working OK, I’m not sure why you are having trouble. But with the new information regarding the update to Artisan the we are expecting on Monday, you won’t need to worry about Activation codes, they will transfer automatically.

11. cnorris says:

As I understand it we can now use CM content in Artisan. Do you have a link to show us how to import artwork into Artisan?

• Shelley says:

Not yet Colleen. CM and Panstoria have come to an agreement, but it is still to be ratified by the courts. As soon as it’s official we will let you know & provide all the info you need.

12. KIM says:

I own both the MM4 and SBC4 and make their calendars every year. These calendars are the ones that have a 12×12 scrapbook page at the top and the calendar on the bottom. I have my blank template that was provided by CM some time ago. I am wondering if Panstoria Print Shop will print a calendar similiar to that? Should I just stop what I have started and hope that Panstoria will provide me with a blank template when I purchase Artisan? Those calendars are so precious and I like that when I am done I have 12 scrapbook pages. Can you give me any info on this?

• Jan says:

Kim, I’ve checked with Panstoria and they will be offering 12×18″ perforated calendars as a printing option through the Panstoria Print Shop.

• KIM says:

Thanks for your response, Jan! I will continue to think of ideas for those calendar pages. They make the nicest gifts. :) The Panstoria Print Shop has been under maintenance for so long and I see that they have 2 calendars and no other info. The suspense was really eating at me so I had to ask. :) Thanks, again.

13. Kay says:

I have purchased Artisan and notice that the icons of the SBC digital content have been changed to the Artisan content, but the content does not transfer into my Artisan program when I try to bring it in with the content manager. I get a message that says: “Error loading the commercial kit file ‘C:\Users\Owner\CM Digital Content\Digital Kits\Wedding Romantic Autumn Digital Kit.package’. The vendor of this art kit does not permit Panstoria Artisan to access its content.” Is it still a matter of waiting for the approval of the bankruptcy court or am I doing something wrong?

• Shelley says:

You’re not doing anything wrong Kay. It is indeed a matter of waiting for the approval of the court. Shouldn’t be too much longer now!

14. Kirsten Bush says:

This answered so many questions for me! I am holding out on converting anything! I am just wondering if we can become consultants for Panstoria and reap some of the printing benefits when we send our customers there for printing. My customers are all holding out with me and waiting for answers :-)

• Shelley says:

Details are still working out regarding printing through the Panstoria Print Shop, but I believe there are no current plans to offer any commissions on printing.

15. Maria Wilder says:

Thank you, Thank you Pixies & Panstoria/ Artisan for the partnership!
    Thrilled to have the choices, will be getting Historian – Please other P2P digital gals – skip this post – very non tech gal asking for Shelley’s HELP ;-) Dear Shelley – I have been waiting for Historian – hoping to transfer my MM4 from the EHD where it is sitting. When I purchase/place Historian on my hard drive ( C drive -that gets it where I want it) then point it to open the MM4 vault ( MM4 vault is on my old EHD) will I be able to safely delete the old vault? I have a new 3TB one that I hope to use as the place for my Historian Shadow copy. I believe Historian would ask me where to put the shadow copy and I would point it to the 3 TB EHD. Hoping Historian opens the old MM4 vault / lets me point to the new 3TB EHD for the Historian shadow copy and I can delete the nightmare of both vault and shadow being on the old EHD.
    Yes, Shelley – it is chicken me again – The computer crash that got both vaults on the EHD – I just hope the changeover to Historian can make this as pain free as possible for non-tech me. Thanks in advance. Sorry to be a pest, especially after your prior help – just hoping I can get a re-do as I replace with Historian. Hugs of appreciation!
    P.S. I do watch/ read the tips but this has had me a wreck. Especially since I worked with the customer rep when re- installing MM4 / setting up the shadow ( I had her walk me through everything- she knew that both would be on the same EHD (G) after the crash) – and that is how I got in this mess in the first place.

• Shelley says:

So many questions Maria :) Here goes …
      When you open your existing Memory Vault with Historian, it will be using the SAME pictures. Don’t delete anything!!! You can uninstall MM4 but don’t delete the Memory Vault.
      You certainly need your MV and your shadow copy to be on different physical drives. You are correct that Historian will allow you to set up a new Shadow Copy on the 3TB drive. Once the new shadow copy is running properly, you can delete your old shadow copy, if you want to.
      Changing over to Historian should be pain free – and you know we are here to help :)
      PS When you do purchase Historian, it will help us if you buy from this LINK or the ones in the sidebar of our website.

• Maria Wilder says:

Thanks Shelly!!! Big Hug for the help – I will be using the links from P2P to purchase both – I am so paranoid – deleting Anything is hard – and will only do it if I feel sure all is working and / or saved just in case I figure out later I would want/ need it ;-)

16. Kay says:

I have read through many of the questions and answers and I don’t think this one was covered. I have a customer who has worked some with SBC3. I have encouraged her to be sure she has all of the updates. She does have a project in progress. Should I have her upgrade to SBC 4 while she can, or should she simply switch to Artisan? That seems like the best answer to me. I’m also going to try to get her to get try the P2p membership at least for a few months. What a wealth of information at every level for a very reasonable price! I have been in love with all that you do from DAY ONE!! Thank you so much.

• Shelley says:

It is actually better, and easier to switch directly from SBC3 to Artisan. And thanks for encouraging her along to p2P. We have lots of material to help make the jump to Artisan/SBC4!

17. spike spike says:

I am not too sure why I would have to invest money to purchase another software program that does the exact same thing as MM and SB. I own MM and SB and can continue to use these for projects. All I have to do is find a print shop for the SB’s. Thanks .

• Shelley says:

You don’t have to purchase the software. This information is provided for those who choose to make the switch. However in time you might want to use a program which continues to be supported and upgraded.