Last week I met up with a friend who has been living overseas the the past few years. Our main contact during that time has been Facebook, so it was lovely to see her in the flesh and hear more detail about her adventures. She is not a scrapbooker or particularly interested in photography, but of course she sees my Facebook posts, 90% of which are pixels2Pages related – whether it is completed pages, blog posts, commenting on pages on our Facebook wall or just answering questions.  Sometimes I worry that my non-scrapbooking friends must get a little weary of my posts. But she said something to me that really struck me and made me just a little bit proud of what we have achieved at pixels2Pages this past year. She said “You seem to have a really strong feeling of community in that photography thing you do”. And she was right. I knew that all along, but I was pleasantly surprised that someone completely on the “outside” could see it so clearly.

Scrapbooking (whether traditional or digital) is perhaps unique amongst pastimes in that we share so much of ourselves on our pages. We make pages about our joys and celebrations, our family and friends, people and places that we care about. Knitting groups or cycle clubs, as great as they are, don’t offer the same opportunity to reveal your innermost hopes and dreams. And we “pixies” look at every single page posted on our wall, as I know many of the fans do also. You come to us as strangers, and though very few of us have actually met face to face, we quickly become friends.

Two posts on our wall this week really highlighted that sense of community. On Sunday Janet Richardson posted

Dear Pixies,
Just wanted you to know I have not abandoned you but on hiatus for a few weeks. You see I was blessed with a new grandbaby today that needs some attention. She is actually 5 weeks early and in the NICU for a while. I know you are saying, WHAT, AGAIN… yes number 4 in 4 years. Love ’em all. So once time permits I will resume making pages for posting. In the meantime I will just be able to download stuff. I have my eye on things here though because I just loving looking at all the pages.

I was so touched that she shared her joy about the new grandbaby, and that she knew we would notice her absence. And many people have been praying for that little baby – I know because they have posted that to our wall too.

And today as i looked at the new pages posted I spotted a page featuring a proud young girl with her impressive school science and English awards and I thought “Oh, well done Alison!” before I remembered that I don’t really know Alison or her Mum, Doreen Watkins – I recognised her from the pages I have seen on our wall. Like I wrote to Doreen, we are just one big family – and I love it!

For my Christmas gift to you, I have created a set of instructions and a template for making photo cubes using SBC3 – a very quick and easy project to make. Click on the image to download. Enjoy and thanks, with love from my family to yours.

Photo Cube

Tagged with →

18 Responses to Blog: Happy Families

1. gemofjules says:

Great story and reply posts….you Pixies have created an AMAZING entity beyond the scrap booking.

I saw a similar project on a DIY show the other day. They had made a large star with photos, printed it 5 times and cut it out to assemble. My first thought wasn’t “oh….how neat”. It was ….. The Pixies could do that!!!

2. asleighton says:

And the funny thing is, I used to think you guys all really did know each other!! Now I feel like part of the family 🙂

3. asleighton says:

Goosebumps….

4. LindaJMassino says:

Yesterday I needed a diversion from sitting vigil with my grandmother who is preparing to leave us to go to her heavenly rest. When I came on and saw the photo cube, I used the pics of her and some of her great-grandchildren that I was putting together for a display to make this photo cube to put on her Christmas tree! She and the whole family loved it and we are planning on having them as a tribute to her to give out. So to me, what I get and am able to give because of this site and all the wonderful P2P team is PRICELESS!! I started using CM Digital products 2 years ago when my grandmother moved in because I was homebound with her as her caregiver and I needed something to help me not go crazy with cabin fever! So, CM and P2P has been a big part of my being able to give her the care she needed and will also help me after she is gone since I’ve also become a consultant!! I am so thankful to have found you and Creative Memories. God Bless you all!

• Shelley says:

Thank you Linda, for sharing your story. I am so moved, and very that we have been able to bring some joy to you and your family during this difficult time. This is a great testimony that what we do as storytellers and memory preservers is SO much more than a “hobby”.

5. Shelley says:

Sorry Janet 🙂 But I meant every word. So thrilled to see the photo of precious Tenley Anne today xx

6. jsquare says:

Shelley, why did you make me cry? Just got home from an evening with my husband and sister-in-law seeing Jersey Boys. New laptop arrived today so I opened it, turned it on and immediately went to P2P website to see if the audio was better on my new laptop. Then I saw this blog. All the good thoughts and prayers are working and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. It looks like Tenley will be coming home Tuesday.

The Pixies have developed a “community” here, not only for sharing our scrapbooking endeavors but also milestones in our lives. We all need all the support we can get. You can never have enough and I feel I have a world of support when I need it, along with my family and friends here in Virginia. There is coming a time in the not so distant future that prayers will be greatly needed more than ever, as my husband moves to the next phase of the transplant process for a new lung. Will let you know when he gets on the list.

Thank you, thank you and thank you so much.

Much love,
    Janet Richardson

7. clairebourque says:

Thanks so much for this! I am creating right now. Snip it also works great for the last page.

8. okiegyrl says:

I am going to make these for my yearbook and newspaper classes at school. I have group pictures of them from several activities — plus can put our logos and themes on them … you all are the best thanks for the idea.

9. Jeannine says:

Wonderful blog, Shelley. We do have one FABULOUS family here, don’t we? LOVE the photo cube idea and have just printed it for my daughter to crank a bunch out for holiday gifts!! She is super excited to get all pixied out like her Mom! 😉 LYMI-J

10. mrsbumblebee20 says:

Can’t wait to give these a try! You Pixies are the best, now if you could just come up with some magic dust that gives us more than 24 hours in a day for scrapping!

11. lizpropst says:

Shelly…your blog so echo’s my appreciation for community and I am so grateful to each and every Pixie….for having a dream and going for it!! Who would have ever dreamed that scrapbookers known as peeps
    could have so much fun besides creating lasting books filled with memories…sharing makes all the difference. Thanks!

12. debbiejosmith says:

We are making these as ornaments for the tree at our church preschool. I had seen something similar on Pinterest and realized I could make them with Storybook so much easier, especially since I need about 200! The blueprint I designed is a little different, but the same general idea. I can put photos on every side, or fill the photo blocks with patterned paper and embellishments instead. I programed the date on one side, the name of the school on one side, and pictures of the child on the other two sides. The top and bottom were filled with coordinating patterned paper. I made several copies, with different color combinations that will go with just about any of the kids’ pictures. That way, every child’s ornament will be a little different. If you want to make the cube into an ornament, just put a brad through the center of the top flap before sealing it shut. You can attach a string or ribbon to the brad as an ornament hanger.

13. Carolyn says:

Beautiful sentiments, Shelley! It is one big family and it’s such a privilege to be in it with you.

14. Kim says:

I am thinking of making these cubes for those we are giving gift cards to. I can put pictures of the person who is receiving the goodies on the box. Can’t wait to try this one!!!

15. Maureen says:

This looks like a fun project! Will try to sneak in a little time in my photo gift making day today to make a few! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas you ladies post here on the p2P site! ‘Tis the Season for sharing and you do it so well!

16. Jenny says:

These are great Shelley. Can’t wait to have a go digitally. My daughter did these traditionally when she went overseas and filled them with rice and covered in contact for the baby to play with. He was very quick to recognize who we were when we visited. Merry Christmas to you and your family.