You would think I’d be an expert on backing up and recovering my programs and data by now, wouldn’t you!? Well, I wish I could say that I am. I push my computer to the limits, as I’m on it a lot and have suffered through 2 major hard drive crashes and upgraded goodness knows how many computers. This is my third laptop and we’ve had several desktop computers over the last 20 or so years and every time I have to reinstall everything, there is always something that gets lost.

I really must get my automated backups happening a bit more often. If only every program would work like Memory Manager’s Shadow Copy. Watch out for this weekend’s tip on how to set up your Shadow Copy. Once set up, that little baby just whirrs away and keeps all my photos safe. My family tree program is the same, although there is an option to say no to the backup. I try hard not to press that button too often. Also my finance database has a backup feature, reminding to back up my data. If only Storybook Creator would have an automatic backup feature in it too, then all the pages I had created during the pixels2Pages NSD virtual crop, would have been safe and I wouldn’t have to recreate them all over again. Thankfully that’s all I lost and a few emails.

This time, I’ll be setting up the automatic backup feature in Windows 7, however I do like to have a bit of control over my backups so that in the event that I want to retrieve just a few things, I can find them more easily.

All in all, I didn’t do too badly with losing things. Here’s my list of data that I keep to make sure I back them up often.

• Memory Manager Shadow Copy
  • Storybook Creator projects, packages and user content and content licenses.
  • Fonts
  • Favourites (Bookmarks)
  • Quicken
  • My Contacts
  • My Documents
  • Legacy Family Tree
  • iTunes Library
  • Activation & License Codes of all my programs

I keep my data files, my default email folder and my Storybook projects under My Documents now, and even my Memory Vault is there too, so it’s only a matter of copying one complete folder across to my External Hard Drive (EHD) as often as I can. As it turns out, once a month is still not enough, so now I’m backing up once a week. Actually, I became so paranoid that I backed up my Day2Day project as soon as I completed a page last night.

As an extra backup, I have now installed a 1.5 terabyte EHD and use the Windows 7 backup set to go every Friday night.  But wait, there’s one more thing I MUST do, a system repair disk. Yes! So in the case my computer won’t start at all, at least a system disk will get me to base 1! You didn’t realise there was so much to a computer did you? Well most times you don’t need to know these things, and I’m sure your friendly techi guy loves you for not knowing!

Dropbox is another option that I use, mostly for my Legacy Family Tree files and my Quicken backup.

16 Responses to Blog: I still don’t get it right!

1. Annette says:

I use Dropbox to send things back and forth between me and my brothers… Very handy, and easier than email for lots of photos. But I never thought of using it as a storage location. Hmmm..

I, too, am looking forward to more info in the P2P tip tomorrow morning! Thanks!!

2. mindys7 says:

Jenny, just wondering what Dropbox is? I have never heard of it. Thanks for the great reminder about backing up. I’m very faithful backing MM but not so great with SBC because it is not nearly as easy. Every computer should come with an EHD and one button to click to back up the whole thing!

• Jenny says:

Dropbox is a online place to store and share photos/documents/videos etc. Google it and it will tell you more. If we all took the time to set up our Windows backup, (I have now), it would happen automatically, but unfortunately we don’t, so we keep suffering loosing our data, time and time again.

3. Beachbum says:

Lost my EHD that had EVERYTHING…..got a new one, so how do I create a shadow copy for Memory Manager again? Using the same drive? or do I change drives? Help…..It’s been too long and too many pics with backup!

• Jenny says:

Hence why I have more than one EHD. What a nuisance for you to have lost everything. Watch out for the tip on the weekend to help you set up your Shadow Copy. Yes you will need to recreate it again. HTH.

4. cmcharlotte says:

Jenny – this is packed with info we all need. I want to add something, however I’m hesitant because I’m not sure of the accuracy, so I’m asking you to verify please. I read that your “Operating System” could be downloaded to a thumb drive – and you’d always be able to get your computer working again. Would that be the same as a system repair disk? I beleve the article information was in case of something catastrophic happens to computer. You would always have your thumb drive (if you didn’t lose that tiny thing!)

So if this info isn’t correct, I trust a Pixie will give us the facts. If it is correct, using the thumb drive seemed like a good idea. And always backing up is so important.

I’m definitely interested in knowing more about how to save StoryBook projects in My documents. Looking forward to the upcoming Memory Manager tip!

Thanks so much!

• Jenny says:

Thanks Charlotte. I’ve only ever done a repair disk to a CDR, however I do believe you can copy those files to a USB. Windows backup recovery still wants to put those files on a CD, then you need to copy them off and put the USB in a very safe place, in a box/envelope so you can mark on the outside what that USB is for. Not as easy as writing on a CD unfortunately. HTH!

5. terrylenke says:

I keep 2 different backups, one online and an EXHD and I cannot get my SBC pages back into SBC. They just won’t open properly. I lost about 20 pages and am disgusted with computers at the moment and backing up. Most of Memory Manager was saved just not in the folders that I had everything. Luckily I only had about 4,000 photos in their.

6. debzz says:

Are there instructions somewhere on how to do all this back up stuff?
    How do you set up Shadow copy? I just do the regular back up on Memory Manager.
    I have had different advice given from tech support at CM, one in favor of shadow copy and one not in favor.
    I have an external hard drive too. What do we do?

• Jenny says:

Deb, watch out for this Saturday’s Memory Manager tip! It’s all about trial and error, more error on my part and just when I think I get it right, something still goes amiss.

7. Jan says:

I think I need a three YEAR remedial program….or better yet, someone to come do it for me! I thought my drobo was the answer, until it got struck by lightning. I need a KEEPER!

• Jenny says:

Ha Jan! I could come and be your keeper! Imagine living on Tiki with a Promoter and an Analytical personality! It could be fun. Just sayin’ 🙂

8. Carolyn says:

I think I need a three-day retreat to do nothing but organize my computer and EHDs and all their MULTIPLE copies of everything. I’m certain I have every last thing, it’s just I can’t find it… 🙂 Well, I can’t find it quickly, which is sort of the same thing. If it’s quicker to re-create it than find it, there’s a big problem! HA! As always, terrific blog. Looking forward to your Memory Manager tip.

• Jenny says:

Oh Carolyn! If only you could see my computer at times. I had so many backups of everything as I was too frightened of loosing anything and got myself in a right royal mess. This time, surely, I have it right. Let’s hope I don’t have to test it out.

9. Mary says:

Thanks for the reminder Jenny. Because of you I back up every two weeks now!