Size really does matter! Well, FONT SIZE matters enormously!! This was a discussion I had with several digital scrapbookers a few weeks ago. We got to talking about how difficult it is to ‘picture in your mind’ how your text will appear in your book when printed. I always zoom my page to 100% to check that my font doesn’t look like a kids picture story book! I also have several books I can check the size of the text and I know if it seems the right size for the page. We got to talking about making a personalised sizing chart.

There is nothing worse than having text that is too small, but worse still, if the text in your book looks like it should be on a kindergarten shelf it can be disasterous.

When my first ever book came back printed I was so excited!! Then a wave of disappointment, that the text was too big. The font and the fun photos of my son’s surfing lesson seemed to match the sizing of the text, but I was still a bit disappointed. I wish I had checked it somehow.

I did come across an idea that was perfect! It was a small laminated set of text. All sized to the print size of how a book will come back. But I lost it and forgot about it! But, during this said discussion, one of those ladies told me she thought I had given it to her to keep and she had been using it ever since, because it was the best thing ever!! (Umm, yeah … it was!!!)

Anyway, the discussion broke into fits of laughter about how she had pinched it from me and that ‘Size Really Does Matter’. So, we all decided to make a new set of text sizing sheets for our own personal use (and no-one can pinch them!).

You need to make 8 1/2 x 11 project (or add a page to a current project of that size) so you can print it out for yourself.

Decide on a few of your all time favourite journalling fonts and begin the process of typing the first font size you would use (mine was 12) and the font name, continue with sizing the font UP as you go down the text box. This is a very visual and physical aid to your digital scrapbooking.

Print out your “printed font sizing chart” and use just as is, or cut up and laminate to have a small card for each font you might use.

Perhaps print 2, just in case yours disappears 🙂

Tagged with →

13 Responses to Blog: Size Really Does Matter!

1. mthofers mthofers says:

I did something similar — I created a reference file of ALL my fonts, sizing them all so that they were roughly equal in size to Times New Roman 12. I went thru my font list alphabetically and wrote the name of each font, followed by the font size (which also gives an idea of whether the font includes numbers), and for some, notes about the font (i.e., this font doesn’t include symbols, or doesn’t use capitalized letters, etc., etc.). These sheets are ALWAYS by my side when I’m creating in SBC because I can find fonts so easily and I have a good idea as to how they’ll actually print out!

2. Julia Nix says:

Another reason for going to the work to create a color block sheet is for when you are using an ‘outside’ printer, such as Walgreen’s. I find that the store always prints my photos and cards darker than I see on the screen but that CM prints exactly what I see.

3. glynn@abanks.net glynn@abanks.net says:

I also created a SB 12 X 12 page print of the color block (where you choose which color something is going to be) because I got tired of choosing a color based on its appearance on my computer screen and having it come back way different. For instance, I had picked a color that I thought would be bubble gum pink, and it came back so dark it was almost red. I also picked a royal blue and it was navy….so I spent the money to have CM print me a 12 X 12 page print of the color chart that is found in SB. Now, when I choose a color, I know exactly how it will print. It keeps me from being unhappy with the colors in my books….

4. Janice says:

Fabulous tip Kerrianne. I love the story behind how you “rediscovered” this too! 🙂

5. CorinnePitt says:

Could I do this same thing using just a WORD doc? Is there a special reason to do it in a Storybook Project? BTW, I love this tip and am going to do it!

6. mindys7 says:

This is a great idea! Because I travel a ton I think I will just make the project in SBC and refer back to it rather than print it. I just can’t take a bunch of paper with me when I’m on the road. This is one of the main reasons I started digi scrapping.

I have made my font too small or too big before too. I never go smaller than 16 for my older eyes and those of my older than me relatives. Also when I edit just before sending it to CM to print, I hook up my computer to my TV screen with a cable (bless my dear husband for that idea) as it allows me to view my pages exactly the size they will be when printed. I use a ruler to make sure that they are exactly 12 x 12 or 8 x 8. It’s amazing the little things you see when you view them actual size! Some things you want to make bigger and others smaller or that you forgot to “pop” the stitching on the right side to match the one that you “popped” on the left side. Thanks for the idea!

7. inekeloux says:

Like this idea since some fonts also have more spacing between letters and lines than others. Might put a bunch of laminated squares on a ring as a quick reference of what the various fonts look like – I seem to download them, and can’t always remember how they look — so I get in a rut using a few over and over.

8. Deanna Emmert says:

I have mixed feelings about this. The fonts in two of my albums are probably bigger than they should be because I was a digital newbie and didn’t really have any guidance LOL! But I find that the older I get, the easier they are to read! (Yes, I do wear glasses. lol) It’s easier for my parents and in-laws (who are both in their 80’s) to read the larger print too. So while I do think smaller fonts are better, there might be a couple of instances where a larger font would be O.K. Actually I have a 4 inch binder (I know, it’s huge) for all my fonts and dings. I need to see what each font is going to look like in bigger and smaller sizes because so many of them are different–especially the decorative ones and it’s hard for me to visualize just how they’ll look. So after I install a font, I make a note of it on a computer post-it note, and then the next day I go back to the font file and print it. (It doesn’t print correctly if I try to do it right after I install it.) This also helps me to keep my fonts down to a minimum and delete ones I don’t really ever use.

9. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

Great idea!! Got to use this one!!

10. Janice says:

What font are you using for A little bird told me??