The last bits of the Thanksgiving turkey will go in the freezer today for turkey soup in the middle of February, and the Christmas shopping is almost done.  Bring on the baking!  I’m working on neighbor and friend gifts, which usually include some kind of food.  This year it’s caramel corn and cookie mix in a quart jar.  The caramel corn is a favorite recipe from allrecipes.  Allrecipes was my favorite site before Pinterest arrived.  The cookie mix is from Pinterest.  I’m replacing the pink with Christmas colors!

May your holiday season be filled with love and joy.  I know mine will.  My mother is recovering from a bad fall that could have turned out MUCH worse than it did.  She has a broken pelvis and a HUGE bump on her head but I’m so, so thankful and overjoyed that it wasn’t worse.  She’ll like the caramel corn for sure!

Enjoy!

Caramel Corn recipe:

How to make cookie mixes in a jar:

Cowboy cookies recipe:

32 Responses to Blog: Yummy Ideas

1. Katrina says:

Carolyn I love Carmel corn, I’m not a big cook but this sounds like fun. Might have to try it for Christmas. Hope your mom is doing better.

2. Carolyn, your Yummy Ideas have officially sucked me into Pinterest – your site! Oh my….I need to clone myself so I can cook more (not that I need to). I’ve already copied several of the recipes you have links to! There are no longer enough hours in the day to do all the fun stuff! I’m just hoping heaven has a little Pinterest corner for the likes of us crazy creative ladies who can get enough ideas!

• Carolyn says:

Too funny, Maureen! There are two basic methods of using Pinterest. One is to look often and pin the things that interest you so you create your own idea boards. Another is to use it as a great search engine when you want something. When I looked for Christmas gifts for neighbors, I remembered I’d pinned the cowgirl cookies, but I also searched and found a lady who has a whole board of “stuff in a jar” ideas. It can be a productivity challenge if you’re not careful about how much time you spend there. I’ve tried not to go overboard. I used to cut things out of magazines and have an idea file. Now I have Pinterest. 🙂

• Carolyn says:

Oh, and Maureen, Instagram is next. :-).

3. Kim says:

I just might have to make carmel corn now!

4. Jan says:

So sorry to hear about your mom. This has made me so hungry – I’m ready for some good ole American (North American) food after two weeks in South America!

5. Tina Bruderer says:

i have a recipe for a jar gift if you are interested its vanilla coffee syrup

6. Carolyn says:

Cowgirl Cookies, from Bakarella

1 1/3 cup all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup & leveled
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup cooking oats
    3/4 cup m&ms
    3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/3 – 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Stir all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.

Add

1 slightly beaten egg
    1/2 cup butter (melted slightly in the microwave)
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Use the back of a large spoon to work it all together. You may even need to use your hands to get everything incorporated.

Then roll the cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, place on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Bakarella got about 26-28 cookies out of these.

7. Julie Williams says:

Carolyn, this is the same recipe I have used for years for the caramel corn. My family and neighbors love it.
    I hope your mom is doing better.

8. Barbara says:

Oh, I forgot. Ada I am not on pinterest either. I keep thinking “just what I need another thing to keep me planted in front of the computer”. I am getting weaker though!!!! LOL

9. Barbara says:

Yummy page. I like the photo of the counter lined with wax paper. You showed all aspects of the project. I hope your mother is up and about soon.

10. Janice says:

Sounds deliciouso! Wishing your mother well, and hope she is recovering quickly! xx

11. Sandy says:

This looks so yummy! I am definitely a BIG fan of caramel corn so will be making some of this for sure. One question: Does it make a difference using butter or margarine? In the ingredients list you have butter, but you have margarine in the instructions.

• Carolyn says:

I personally would never use margarine for anything. 🙂 I’ve never made it that way so I can’t tell you. It’s delicious and yummy with butter, as most things are! (Maybe that’s part of my problem…. hmm…)

The link to the original recipe on allrecipes is below the page. If you go there, I’m sure someone will have asked the same question in the comments. I’m afraid I just don’t know. Hope you enjoy it! It’s a family favorite at our house.

12. debbie says:

What paper did you use–this is beautiful!

• Carolyn says:

Oh my! I forgot to put the kits. I’ll do that this evening when I get home from work. So sorry!

• debbie says:

Thanks! I think I’ve figured them out, but I’d love to know if I was right or not? Are the “squares” part of a BP? Love this–it looks so warm and has so much texture.

• Carolyn says:

It was one of my favorites… Classic Experience Canada. the scratch is from Elements, I think. I didn’t write it donw. This one isn’t a blueprint. It’s my original design. Maybe sometime… 🙂

• debbie says:

Thanks! I honestly thought that maybe you’d used the “squares” on the Tilba BP and filled them individually. This kit is SO pretty! I love the textures and that I could still pick it up on sale. Additionally, I’ve pretty heavily “scrap-lifted” this page’s design–imitation is one of the most sincere expressions of flattery. Thanks again, Carolyn.

• Carolyn says:

Scraplift away, Debbie! Just give a mention to pixels2Pages and we’re all good. 🙂 Glad you enjoyed it!
            I use this kit SO much. I’ve used the gold paper and turned it almost every color imaginable. It’s really a great paper – interesting but never steals the show.

13. Anne says:

So sorry to hear about your mom but thankful that she’s ok! Caramel corn??? Cowboy cookies???? Two of my favorite things!!

14. adakallen adakallen says:

I could not get the Cowboy Cookie Recipe.
    Is is because I am not a member of pinterest?

15. Tameka says:

Yummy indeed. I might do this for gifts this year.