My husband Bob and I are taking the big plunge. We have decided to sell our house of 36 years and a life time of memories in the Midwest (we have 124 years between us) and move south. We keep saying we are moving to the city, (Perth) the big smoke, but it’s not really. The place we have chosen to move to, Baldivis, is actually a suburb of another regional city, Rockingham. Just like where I live now, Waggrakine is a suburb of the regional city of Geraldton. The best part about Baldivis is that it is only 46klms (29 miles) from the centre of Perth, and only 30 minutes on the freeway to my grandchildren. Better than the 5 hours I have now, or as we say in the bush, you need a cut lunch and a waterbag to get there!

Selling a house in the current economic climate is going to be a trying time.  We sold once before, 36 years ago, but only moved to another suburb and we had two toddlers in tow at the time. Our son was born in this house and he even commented that he’s a bit sad that we are going to sell. Well, you get that! People move all the time, some even to new countries, away from their lifetime of friends, where they have grown up, the lifestyle they’ve known. For us too, it is a big deal, we will be moving away from our friends and everything that we have become so familiar with. We have technology though, there is the phone, email and I’m sure we will come back for birthday parties and the like. I love a challenge, I love change, I need things to keep me moving forward to the future. Bob is a little more apprehensive, he is due to retire in 5 weeks and has no real plans on what he wants to do except do the constant maintenance that now needs doing on the house.

Our new plans are to move to a Lifestyle Village, no, not a retirement village!! There is no “care facility” for when we get too old, we’ll worry about that when it happens.  We are looking forward to the new lifestyle and both of us can’t wait to take up lawn bowls, Friday night sundowners, even a game of tennis, the gym to keep the body moving and the swimming pools. No need to drive half way across town to go for a swim anymore. The beach isn’t all that far away either, not much further than we are now. We’ll only be a short hop, step and a jump to the city airport to catch a flight to the east to see our other grandboys. No more 10 hour turn around trip to and from the city and overnight stays. No more costly fuel trips to get to the city. And I love seeing live shows. We don’t get many here in Geraldton, if any at all,  so we’re off, or at least as soon as we sell. AND… we get to build a brand new home. That in itself is really exciting. So the sooner we can sell here, the better, as I’m eager to start choosing what colours and designs we like for our new home. There’ll be a few new pieces of furniture needed, but most of it will come with us.

Watch this space for a further update on the progress of our move to the “big smoke”.

Below are some images of the homes I have lived in from childhood to now.

Blueprint: Capture the Moment; Digital Kit: Reflections.

33 Responses to Blog: Time For Change

1. Carolyn says:

Your journey has been very instructive . Thanks for sharing every step with us!

2. Kaye Rhodes says:

Leaving a home and all the memories is never easy. Good luck and enjoy the next chapter!

3. Tracie says:

Best wishes! We just made a similar move four months ago, selling the house and yard where our kids grew up and moving to a newer home in a beautiful community with lawn care and snow removal taken care of. I loved the old place, so sometimes I long for it; but I love the new place, too. This is when I treasure all the photos I took over the years. I remember so many happy times (and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears that went into remodels). Enjoy your journey!

4. Phyllis says:

All the luck and best in selling your home now and settling in your new home to come. I’m all for new adventures, challenging our minds (and sometimes bodies) to try and do new things. Can’t wait to hear your journey.

5. Tina Bruderer says:

small is beautiful

6. LindaGuth says:

Good luck on your new adventure. The new memories and amount of time you will be able to spend with your grandchild will be worth it. We moved seven years ago after our girls finished high school, so we would have a shorter commute to work. The hardest thing was leaving the stone fire place my husband built with his late father with the stones they took from the creek on his family farm. We have photos and our memories. The trade off has been great, we are now closer to so much and seem willing to go so much more with a shorter drive to everything. We now have a very private yard nestled into the woods and a pool, that becomes the party place all summer long, what wonderful memories we are making. We are trying to decide if we want to remodel the house or move when we retire in a few years. We have all of our one daughter, extended family and a lifetime of friends here and a daughter about 8 hours away, they have no one close and we know they would love to have us close, so I understand the thought of making a big move, I’m thinking a small condo in both places might be interesting.

• Jenny says:

Leaving the things you have built from scratch or planted will be hard. I have a climbing rose my Dad bought me for my 40th birthday – Peirre de Ronsard. We can’t take roses, unless they are potted, to our new village. Everything is eco friendly and water saving, which I understand totally, so the rose will just have to remain a memory and a photo in my album. The smell will linger forever.

7. Liz Propst says:

Jenny…the best part about moving is that all the closets get cleaned out and you start out fresh in a new place…..less stuff means more time for fun!!

8. Penny says:

Loved seeing the photos of the homes you have lived in and hearing the story of your upcoming Big Move! My family just moved from the Midwest to the South, but on another continent. I wish I had photos of all of the places that I have lived (this is place number TWENTY). No matter how often you do it, moving is bittersweet. You miss all the people and things that you loved in the old place, but you get the fun and excitement of discovering new places and making new friend while still keeping in touch with the old via technology and, hopefully, some in-person visits. Best wishes to you. I look forward to following your adventures!

9. Jan says:

Jenny, you know how much I relate to your words! It is not easy to move after being in one place for so long, but it is so exciting and invigorating! So many new possibilities! And the best part is, you get to keep your memories and friends – you’ll just be adding new ones! I can’t wait to see your brand new home….NEXT TIME! xx

• Jenny says:

Jan, my door will always be open, might just have to move a computer or two out of the way to make room! 🙂 I can’t wait to start my new adventure. Head ’em up and move ’em out!

10. adakallen adakallen says:

Moving can be sad! I have been in my house for 40 years and every time I think about moving it makes me sad!

Is that a current blueprint or an older one. I really like that page!

• Jenny says:

The blueprint is an older one Ada. The excitement of moving is taking over the sadness of leaving this one behind. The memories will be in my photos. 🙂

• adakallen adakallen says:

I will go back and look I have most of the blueprints since I began with P2P and I began in the early days. I may have it filed in some strange place.

You have a great attitude: Excitement of moving …memories in photos. Perfect Attitude.

11. jgreenob jgreenob says:

Dear Jenny,

I loved this post. I had to sell my mother’s home in 2010 after she passed away. It was not my “childhood home” but it was where my children (3) all grew up visiting. As hard as the selling was for me…my grown children felt it more. There were tree houses, forts, gardens, tractor rides, swings, biscuit making, bath times, horse back rides, first haircuts, “one more movie”, Christmases, staying up WAY past bed time, birthdays, and sadly funerals. We sold the home to a family of seven! Children growing up in the most perfect of all locations! Someone else would enjoy their days on this amazing piece of property. I took pictures and for Christmas that first year without our “Maw Maw”…everyone received a 12×12 page of the house surrounded by all of the memories in fun fonts! It was a special time of sharing and remembering! The saying “Home Is Where You Heart Is” is so appropriate in this case. While the house and location of people might change…the memories will not. Godspeed as you move closer to where “your heart is”.

12. Pam Jones says:

Congratulations on being one of those delightful people who relish change. I’ve never been one of those, but I’m trying to learn now that I’m retired after 34 years of teaching 13-year olds!! Can’t wait to watch your adventure unfold!!

• Jenny says:

Thanks Pam. Change is good for soul and the mind. The body, I’m not so sure about, but I look forward to walking in a different neighbourhood and getting to know new friends.

13. The very best to you, Jenny, on your new venture. I think it is so wonderful that you will be closer to your grand children. It is really hard to build a close bond when you see them so infrequently. I know your daughter will appreciate you being closeby just for those situations when grandparents come in handy. (as a grandmother or 3, living 45 minutes from my grandkids- those situations come up more times than you might think they will!) Living close by also allows for having the grandkids overnight at your house is, for me, the very best. Mine come one at a time so, as they say, they can really be spoiled! I look forward to following your blog.

• Jenny says:

Yes, Barbara, the pull of the grandkids is very strong. I want to make sure they get to know us and what it was like in the “olden” days. Hah! Who’s old?

• Jenny, you have such a young spirit- old? never! It is interesting that so many, many thousands of miles apart and we are still all so human. Grandparenting is universal and so important in giving kids a bigger perspective of family and life. It is truly sad that due to our mobile societies, children are missing out and grandparents, too. Blessings to you and your family.

• Jenny says:

Thank you Barbara. I sure hope this move happens soon, I’m trying to be patient. Everyone you speak to nowadays, have grandkids that live away from them, some overseas, like mine were for 3 years. They’re closer now, but I still don’t get to see them often enough.

14. Deanna Emmert says:

My dad used to say “head ’em up and move ’em out” whenever we were traveling from one place to another during summer vacations. Then he “headed us up and moved us out” from Wisconsin to Oregon. From there I was headed up and moved from one town to another after 5 years. Another 4 years and I was moving back and forth between home and college. 14 months after moving back home after college (there were very few teaching jobs back in the mid 1980’s) I married and moved to yet another town here in Oregon. Even in this town I have moved 3 times. Yes, it’s been a “head ’em up and move ’em out” kind of life. I know you will enjoy the journeys, Jenny, whether they are big or small! 🙂

• Jenny says:

I like that Deanna…That’s going to be my new catch phrase…Head ’em up and move ’em out! This so reminds me of the western movies I used to love to watch. American of course! LOL! 🙂

15. Lindaplaywpics says:

Your blog reminded me of the Disney Movie, “Meet The Robinsons”….in case you haven’t seen it, the little boy in the movie grows up to be a famous Scientist and his motto becomes, “Keep moving forward”. In his case, it had to do with failing and trying again and again but I think it’s an apt motto for all of us. Don’t settle, don’t be too scared or worried to try/fail/do something new. I think it keeps us living longer. We don’t know each other, but I too long for something new myself. In a perfect world, I would pack up my husband go exploring till I found the right piece of land and start building a house on it and then start trying to travel and photograph every country on the planet. My husband, not so much. But with 3 teens trying to finish up High School, the kind of adventure I’m looking for will have to wait. There will certainly be times when you’ll say, “what were we thinking?” Remind yourself that all of our ancestors, with that first step out of the knowing to unknowing, have walked us all around the planet and all the way out to space…..It’s really kind of cool when you think about it. It starts by taking that first exciting step out of our comfort zone. The best of luck to you and your family and don’t forget to have fun! Your kindred spirit friend, Linda 🙂

• Jenny says:

Awww Linda “kindred spirit friend”, that was so special to read. You’ve given me the courage to keep stepping out and yes, our ancestors did do it. In fact mine took a giant leap of faith to come out to this so called, hot and inhospitable land called Australia. I look forward to the fun days/years ahead. Thank you. 🙂 PS: I don’t think I have seen Meet The Robinsons.