Updated April 2015
It’s always fun to get a shiny new computer, but there’s a bit of planning and effort required to implement a seamless transfer of your programs to the new computer. This tip explains how to install and set up Historian* on a new computer. This tip has been made available free to members and non-members. Some links on this page may be to member-only content. To become a member, or find out more about pixels2Pages membership, click HERE.
NB It is no longer possible to install Memory Manager on a new computer, as there is no way to activate the program. You will need to purchase and install Historian, if you are moving to a new computer. To purchase Historian click HERE.
We also have a tip on moving Artisan to a new computer HERE.
Create a backup before doing anything
- First of all, you will need a backup copy of your media vault. Here’s hoping you have done your backups regularly. There are some tips HERE to help with that. A backup is important, just in case anything goes wrong in the copying process.
- Make a note of the Historian activation code on the old computer. You will find this in your online Forever account, in the email you received when purchasing Historian, or in the software on the old computer under Help > About > Product Key.
Make a copy of your Media Vault
- To move your media vault to a new computer, you will need to copy it to an external hard drive (or similar device).
- You can find where your media vault is from the welcome screen.
- To copy the media vault, open File Explorer (Windows 8 & 10) or Windows Explorer (Win 7). Navigate to the folder containing the media vault – in the above example, it would be a folder called “Shelley’s Media Vault” located on my I Drive. Do not open the folder. Copy the entire folder to your EHD.
Install Historian on the New Computer
Note: This tip covers the process of moving Historian from one computer to another. The same steps apply if you are moving from Memory Manager on the old computer to Historian on the new computer.
- If you already own Historian, you will need to download a fresh copy to the new computer. To do that, you can log in to your account at Forever, and find your original download link, or download the free trial version. You will be able to activate the software with your original activation code.
- If you are switching from MM to Historian, click here for more details.
- If Historian is still installed on your old working computer, you will need to uninstall that eventually as the license is for one installation only. However, wait until everything is safely installed on your new computer before you remove it from the old one.
Copy the Media Vault (called Memory Vault in Memory Manager)
- Plug your EHD into the new computer.
- Copy the entire media vault folder to the location on your new computer that you have chosen for your Historian media vault.
- To copy the media vault, open File Explorer (Windows 8 & 10) or Windows Explorer (Win 7). Navigate to the folder on your EHD that you previously copied your media vault to. Do not open the folder. Copy the entire folder to the new computer in the location of your choice. Make note of that location.
- For more information on using an EHD click HERE.
- Open Historian and go to File > Open.
- Navigate to where you have saved your media vault on your new computer.
The media library will now open with all your Categories, Tags and more importantly all your photos, intact.
Alternate option: Restoring from a Shadow Copy
If something goes wrong with the copying process, or if you are installing on a new computer because your old computer died, you may need to restore from a shadow copy. You will find full instructions HERE.
Using your Media Vault from an EHD
- Instead of copying your media vault to the new computer, you can opt to keep your media vault on an EHD. This way, you can also use the same vault on two computers.
- NOTE: you must purchase a copy of the software for each computer as Historian is for single computer use only.
- From Historian, select Open another vault.
- Navigate to your EHD, making sure you select the folder that the media vault is in, or the drive letter if it’s in the main directory on the EHD.
- Click once to select the media vault, and then click Select Folder.
- Your media vault will open.
PLEASE NOTE: Your Historian program must always be installed on the internal drive of your computer. It cannot be installed on an EHD.
Set up a New Shadow Copy
- Now you will need to set up your shadow copy on the new computer using this tip and you’re all set to go.
Have fun with your new computer.