JG_BlogHeader

I have sat back for too long, worrying about how I look and not living life and having fun. I’ve used every excuse – hiding behind the tried and true excuse of “someone has to take the photos”. Of course, knowing all along that I can still take photos while participating in life. Since I did my knee, I have not been able to exercise like I wanted to – no more tennis, even long walks became difficult – it was much easier to just give up. It’s over 3 years since I last swam at the beach – only venturing into a friends pool just once in that 3 years period seemed like torture. 2013 is going to be the year I leap back into life, enjoying time with my children, getting into the water with them (on very hot days) instead of sitting and sweltering on the beach in my long skirts and baggy tops. Daniel and Lauren are teenagers now, 16 and 14 years old – I need to get in and have fun with them while I can, so that the fun can continue as they get older and start living their own lives.

First step to the year was having a go at lawn bowls. Then when the hot weather hit in January – out came my bathers (I really do need a new pair), and into the water I went. I swam over the channel at the Inlet to get to the sand bar with Daniel & Lauren – hey I can still do it, even if I’m a bit slower – I threw the ball around while in the water, until my arm felt like it was going to fall off – I jumped over and dived under the waves at the surf beach – I floated around in the sea, and felt totally invigorated. I could do all of this and still take photos. When I’d had enough of the water I could sit on the beach and read my book (Daniel & Lauren can swim all day). I swam more in January 2013 than I had swum in probably the last 5 plus years combined! The best thing about all of this was, that apart from the fact that I was actually having fun and laughing, that Daniel & Lauren had even more fun and loved having me join in with them – that’s got to be the most rewarding part. ….. and who knows … with this increase in activity and living life, everything else could just fall into place.

JG_Blog19Feb2013_JG

Content used: Blueprint: Chicks (Retired), Untamed Digital Kit, Military Digital Kit, Destinations Digital Embellishments, Downtown Digital Kit, Nativity Digital Additions, Willow Digital Alpha Set, Reminisce Digital Embellishments, PS I Love You Digital Kit, Best Buds Digital Kit Overlay, Fonts: Route 3, Silent Hunter III Font. (I love the Tags feature when looking from Frames, Overlays, Brads and Tags – makes using items from all sorts of different kits so easy!)JG_BlogSignature

31 Responses to Blog: Living Life

1. JaneenK says:

Thank you for sharing a deep personal feeling. I am so glad you participated. We can’t let our precious lives go by sitting on the side lines. Hugs!

2. Liz Propst says:

Janice…..an inspiration to read again. I feel encouraged….only about 5 more weeks in a boot and my ankle should be healed. I pray that I can have your same courage in becoming more active and that I keep it up!! Thanks for your sharing!

• Janice says:

Thanks Liz – I’m hoping you have that ankle free and in action real soon. It’s been nearly 11 months since I wrote this blog, and I’ve kept to my word. Beach days are happening again as summer has finally made an appearance. I’m back into clothes that I shoved up in the wardrobe, and buying new ones from “normal” stores. I plan on getting there in the end – slowly, but more surely than I have ever felt before – and it feels good!!! Like a life plan rather than a “bust my gut” to get there.

3. Justine says:

I am so proud of you … I know you are making some huge changes this year and you are going to feel fabulous! Just keep thinking about that invigorating swim and how good it felt and when it comes to doing the other stuff, don’t think too much about it … get in the habit of just doing it! Woohoo!

4. Anne says:

Love your blog Janice and it’s all so true. My sister is fond of saying, “This ain’t no dress rehearsal,” and as I get older, I am reminded of this every day. Those aches and pains will keep coming as the years keep passing, but we don’t have to let them overpower us and keep us from learning and trying new things! You go girl!

5. lesrae lesrae says:

Good for you Janice. I can totally relate to your story.. I too, am the one who has always “had” to take the pictures.. of everyone else! I let how I feel I look dictate my participation in life for too long, until 2010 when a dear friend of mine passed away rather suddenly from an aggressive cancer at the age of 45. She travelled a great deal, and often asked me what was stopping me. She was a taller, larger than life lady and at her funeral they played a slideshow that was full of photos of her with her friends and family on various travels, many of them of her in her bathing suit jumping into the ocean with both feet, laughing with her loved ones. I remember watching that slideshow thinking, this is one of the most beautiful women I have ever known, participating in every moment when she didn’t realize those moments were numbered. I have not looked back .. participating in my own life again, handing off the camera and asking others to include me in the shots.. life is too short to be hanging back for any reason that we give ourselves, when inside we just want to be included. My children reacted as yours did, surprised and delighted when I was all of a sudden joining in on the fun instead of hanging back holding everyone’s stuff!

• Janice says:

Lesrae – good for you too!!! Sounds like you are embracing life to the full now. Your friend sounds like an amazing person, so sorry to hear she is no longer with you – her message, with your words and your visual description has made me even more determined to “get stuck in”to life. Thank you so much for writing your wonderful words.

6. Carolyn says:

Love this, Janice! Good for you for getting off the sidelines!

7. jsquare says:

Yea Janice, that ol’ knee story again. After my husband’s health declined, I told myself I have to walk. I have to walk the dogs and play with the grands. They like to walk to the park to play on the playground. I would say let’s drive and they would say “no Gammie, let’s walk”. I would set small walking goals and now I can walk almost 1.5 miles. Whenever it gets a little warmer I am going to work up to 2 miles. The scar is the least of my worries, it’s my mental block that I cannot move freely. Stairs are my biggest challenge. I have many stairs and since my husband can basically do nothing now I have to climb stairs quite often. Taking off a few lbs will definitely help me move. This is my year to become a 40 year old, 60 year old. LOL. Have fun….

• Janice says:

Janet, I know exactly what you mean, although I don’t have a husband who is unwell, I have one that likes sitting in a chair with his i-Pad, all the time. So, I’m making my own fun with the kids! I walked all through IKEA today – twice!!! Do you think that will count? LOL

• jsquare says:

OMG, that place is huge and I know miles and miles. That counts. Did you have your whole knee replaced. I can’t imagine as you are so young. But as you said it’s time to live and have fun. That’s my goal as I turn 60 this year. Live like I’m 40 again.

• Janice says:

No – not a whole knee, just a repair and to shave off some bone. They’ve found that there’s no cartlidge between the joints, so it’s just bone on bone crunching away. … and, by the way, I’m only a decade behind you, as I turned 50 last year (I still can’t believe that) – yes, we should both live like we are 40!!! 🙂

8. Yea Janice! Kids remember us for the time we spent doing things with them, not necessarily doing things for them. (My kids remind me of that!) I also love your page with all natural and a little pop of red!

9. Katrina says:

I love your page, it has a lot going on, yet it is clean, crisp and it truly captured the day! Enjoy life!

10. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

Fun Times!! Go for it today because tomorrow may never come!

11. Jan says:

Jump in with both feet, Janice! So glad you are taking the plunge back in! Love your page, too!

12. Kim says:

I am so excited for you Janice! It is fun to join in with our kids and make memories right alongside them and not just watch them make memories! I look forward to hanging out with you someday and playing!

13. Cindy Rold says:

Good for you for jumping back in! Keep it up. It gets easier the more you do.

14. Terri in BC says:

What a great and timely reminder! I have to push myself to live in the moment more.

15. Deanna Emmert says:

YAY YOU! 🙂

16. Liz Propst says:

Janice,,,,Sounds like 2013 is your year!! Way to go!

17. Penny says:

I can totally relate to your thoughts about how hard it is to get off the sidelines when you have a slew of reasons to stay there. It looks like you are making a great start to living life more fully! Can’t wait to see what you get up to next. I am trying to get off the sidelines as well. Especially at the beach – arggh. My excuse has been “can’t go in the water because don’t want to get the camera wet and someone might steal it on the beach”. So when I saw an amazing deal on a cheap waterproof camera, I jumped on it – so much for that excuse! But here the water is still pretty cold, so maybe I will have to get a wetsuit, eh? The funny thing about the waterproof camera is that it is also has a helmet mount. What a thought – me out doing “an adventure” with a helmet cam!

• Janice says:

hehehehe Penny – helmet cam!!! I think my children would definitely steer clear of me if I started wearing one of those! I’m definitely thinking of other activities when the weather starts to get cooler here, the day has to be hot for me to swim!

18. Lindie says:

You go girl. I am proud of you. Keep it up and let us know how you are doing. Would you like a buddy in this process? Yeay Janice.

• Janice says:

I’m thinking it’s wonderful to have people who can relate exactly to this – now that Summer Holidays are finished and routine is back, it’s harder to make the time – but I need too!!!