JennysBlogBanner

As you may have read in past blogs, my husband is closing in on retirement. 7 days to be exact from the date of this blog. His birthday is also this weekend coming and as it would happen, we were travelling to the city to attend the wedding of the son of a very dear friend, so our youngest daughter decided to present her dad with a retirement present. We had no idea what it was until the day before. I thought maybe it was a sky diving experience, however was promptly told if that’s what we expected, we’d better lower our expectations. Hmmm I wonder what we are going to be doing.

On the evening before the due date, I was told to check out this website, but not tell Dad. Wow! A Harley Davidson Trike Tour through the Swan Valley on the northern outskirts of Perth city. Awesome! As my week leading up to the trip away was so busy, I promptly forgot my jacket and shoes. I didn’t need to tell Bob as he ALWAYS takes a jacket and men always wear appropriate shoes.  Fortunately, I now weigh less than my daughter, woohooo, first time since giving birth to her, so I was able to wear one of her jackets and borrow a pair of closed in shoes. As it turned out, it was really very warm and the driver/rider said not to worry putting on the jacket. We posed for a couple of photos, without helmets, then with them on. Gee, talk about heavy. Then we were off, roaring along the road, winding around roundabouts and heading out into the open country, the Swan Valley, known for its wines, chocolate factory, nougat and honey. Thankfully this type of bike does not require us to hang on to the rider and lean as you go around corners, but we still needed to hang on, with only a seat belt across the hips, holding you in. Fortunately there was a handle on the wheel guard, so I hung on to that as tight as I could. Soon I relaxed and started to enjoy the scenery. What a magnificent way to see the country. We went to three different wineries, buying wines for me and a bottle of Port for Bob. The nougat was to die for, preservative free and made from all natural ingredients. We then proceeded to the chocolate factory and had to fight our way to the tasting counter. There were tourists and two coaches of young women enjoying a tour of the valley for a hens part, a pre-wedding party, which back in my day we called, kitchen teas! Guess women aren’t tied to the kitchen sink any more 🙂  Fortunately I’m not a chocolate lover, but still wanted to have my share of the tastings.

The tour was meant to be for two hours, however it was three by the time we got back. I would recommend a ride on one of these trikes anytime you get a chance and of course the flash blue colour was much better than the black ones you see. Fun!

SwanValley_JM

22 Responses to Blog: Sight Seeing in Style

1. Robin says:

I ride on the back of my hubby’s Harley and I never knew there was a three person trike. I’m sure it was a beautiful ride. Enjoy the retirement and good luck with your future move.

2. Liz Propst says:

What a wonderful way to celebrate the beginning of a new era for your family!!! Sounds so fun!!!!

3. Michele says:

FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing.

4. What fun Jenny! I think I could handle that kind of bike as it doesn’t look as scary as a two wheeler. It even looks as though it could fit a third person. Oh, and do tell a bit more about the meaning or where the term “hens part” came from. Congratulations on being able to fit into your daughter’s jacket and congratulations on your husband’s retirement!

• Jenny says:

A hen’s party apparently the same as the bachelorette party in the US for the bride it be. Hen’s party is Aus and NZ ladies equivalent to the men’s stag party. I had a kitchen tea before I was married and received gifts for the kitchen. Nowadays, most people have already been living together and most probably already have everything for the kitchen.

5. Janice says:

How cool is that – and how cool are you both!!! What a wonderful gift – makes me want to join in on the fun. You can have all the wine you want, and I’ll go for the chocolate! 🙂

6. Glenna says:

What a wonderful gift and what great fun. My husband and I took a similar trip around Cozumel on Harley’s when on a cruise. I would love to try the trikes. Great photos.

7. Bobbie says:

What a fun thing to do. It sounds like fun!

8. junegauntley says:

What a great gift from your daughter to celebrate her dad’s birthday AND his retirement! Looks like so much fun! And the chocolate and wine? Oh ya…I’m there! What is your husband going to do in retirement? More travel for you?? Great blog!

9. Chocolate, wine and traveling in the fresh air? Sounds like a perfect day!

10. Penny says:

What a fun story! I’d love to ride on one of those two-person trikes – I have never seen that! I’ll have to do some research to see if there is something similar offered here in Florida. Especially if there is chocolate and wine involved.

11. Lindie says:

This is so cool. What a fun way to celebrate. I was the only girl in the town I grew up in who rode a motorcycle. Wind in your hair, etc. Congratulations to your husband.

12. Carolyn says:

Looks like great fun! Craig used to have a motorcycle and you’re right. It’s a wonderful way to see the country! Even from behind the rider, holding him rather than the bike. Love it! What a great daughter, even if she does weigh more than you do. :-).