Note: These instructions apply in both Artisan 4 and Artisan 5.

When purchasing new Digital Art Kits  from Forever, we want to get it installed into our software and be able to find it and use it right away.

The download is in the form of a file called an .artkit file, which is an automatic Art Kit Installer. All you have to do is download it, and then click on it and it automatically installs your Art Kit for you. It couldn’t be easier! The only problem is that the program chooses the location that it installs the art kit to, and that might not be where you wanted it.  With each upgrade to the software the default location has changed, so you might end up with content in a number of folders on your computer. If you have chosen a different location, such as an external hard drive to store your art kits, you need a way to tell Artisan where to install your Art Kits. Fortunately, that’s a very easy thing to do

1. Open Content Manager in Artisan.

2. Right-click over the folder you have chosen for your Art Kits, or click the drop-down arrow. You will see the following options:

Default_Location_001

3. Choose “Make default location for imported kits”.

You won’t see anything happen, but if you click the arrow again, you will notice that option is grayed out. That’s how you can tell what your current default location is. Next time you click on that Art Kit Installer file, it will automatically install itself right where you want it.

Click HERE if you have content scattered all over the computer that you would like to reorganize.

Tagged with →

17 Responses to Archived Artisan Tip: Default Location for New Content

1. Laveryne Green says:

I’m not very tech savvy. My content has been all CM and the make default location bar is already greyed out but the new content I bought from you folks yesterday does not appear anywhere. My activation codes are all inplace but they don’t activate anything.

2. Joy Cleveland says:

I am in the process of moving my content to my EHD. I have successly set up that folder in the SBC content library as well as on the EHD. I then while in SBC, have right click and marked that folder location as my default. I then have move within content manager and then come back to that folder and see that it is now grayed out but when I close sbc and reopen it, it has changed the default back to my C drive under the creative memories art kits. How do I get it to save my new preferred default location to my EHD ongoing?

3. 3starrabbit says:

Wow! I just re-upped after a 3-month hiatus and this reminded me why I love p2P.

4. edonovan says:

When I right click or use the down arrow next to the CM Art Kits – the “make default location option” is greyed out. I just got a new external drive just for scrapbooking and would like to put everything there.

• Shelley says:

If it is greyed out, that means that is already the default folder. Once you have created a folder for your content on the EHD, you’ll need to import that folder into SBC4, and then you can set that as the dafault. To see how to transfer everything to the EHD click HERE.

5. Sandy says:

This came at the perfect time. I have been trying to help a new customer “find” the downloaded content she purchased before her consultant deactivated. Now I have an idea of where to look to help her get it imported into SBC 4.0 so she can actually use it. Can’t wait for the next tip so we can clean up some of her folders.

6. Kim Etzel says:

Can’t wait for the next post! My content feels like hashed browns at the Waffle House! Scattered, Covered, AND I’m feeling SMOTHERED! I love Pixie Power! 🙂

7. farmwifek says:

I always save mine instead. Is one way better vs the other way?

8. Barbara Mitchell says:

Excellent!

9. Maria Wilder says:

Hi Shelley,
    I notice that the only option I had for my CM purchases is CM Commercial Art – all other I have to create a PAK… was there something I missed when I upgraded to SBC 4? I am O.K. with how it stands all new downloads go to the CM Commercial Art – just checking because I worried that all pixies refer to Art Kits
    Thank you for all your hints and tips. Slowly getting everthing into a Catagory / tagged. Thankful for video tips to watch over and over! P2P Rocks!!

• Shelley says:

The CM Commercial Art folder is the default location that CM provides. But many of us prefer to keep our content somewhere else (mine is on my EHD) so we created a new folder, usually (but not necessarily) called Art Kits. After you create and import the folder, it will show as an option for saving. The Content Manager Portfolio explains in a lot more detail.

10. debbie says: