Jennysblogheader0413

It doesn’t take much to make me happy and no happier could I have been when we went camping over the Easter weekend to get away from it all. We originally were going to head further north to the magnificent Karijini National Park, but hubby decided it was too far to do in a week (I did have a few more days off from work and thought we could do it) and the weather was still quite warm. Karijini is in the far north of the state, in the Kimberley region, one of the hottest areas of Western Australia. So we decided to head up instead to a little spot we had seen on the trip back from Mt Augustus in October last year. It turned out to be one of WA’s best kept secrets. There weren’t many people there as it is quite a way from anywhere and it really is a bush camp, well it did have nature loos, so that has to be something!!

The weather was absolutely glorious, the nights were still, the waters were calm and the fish were biting. Some friends came with us in their caravan, so we joined forces and shared their shade, while Greg put his bush skills to the test and cooked us some wonderful meals each night, using a batter recipe of his mum’s and a fabulous onion and tomato gravy to go with our bacon and eggs for breakfast. It did get warm throughout the day, but not too hot if you kept in the shade. There weren’t any trees, so we were thankful for the awning on the caravan.

We had packed plenty of food for the 3 nights, but didn’t end up eating much of it as we were given a black snapper the first night (it was Good Friday after all) and the next couple of nights, our friends went out on a small boat and did some deep sea fishing and came back with enough to feed us each night. Unfortunately I didn’t attempt going out in the boat as my balance is shot from a few bouts of vertigo.  There are very strict rules for fishing anyway, so they were only able to bring home a certain limit per day, per person or per boat. The fisheries inspectors called around one afternoon to check that we knew the rules and weren’t taking more than allowed.

I have come back tanned and rested, then in a couple of days will head south to visit the grandchildren in the city. Hopefully our house will sell soon and we’ll be able to see them more often and travel some more with our tent.

Blueprint: Pirate Boy

11_Outback Holiday - Page 019

11_Outback Holiday - Page 018

20 Responses to Blog: Bush Camping

1. Anne says:

So fun to see you relaxed and happy! Food tastes especially good cooked over the coals doesn’t it? Keeping fingers crossed that the house sells soon!

2. Carolyn says:

Fresh fish and friends. Can’t beat it! Glad you had such a good time!

3. Janice says:

I just loooove that photo of you and Bob looking at each other! How relaxed and happy you both look, out in the great outdoors, living life and enjoying every moment!

• Jenny says:

Best place to be, I was going to say with no computers, but I did have my iPad and iPhone even if there was only one bar on the Telstra connection! 😉

4. Kerrianne says:

Sounds like a great relaxing weekend Jenny!
    I think I might be in need of one of those weekends very soon 🙂

5. sistersunshine says:

Oh Jenny, Peace & joy. I know that is what I feel when I look at your photo with your hubby…PEACE & JOY!, Oh Jenny, If I were you I’d have that one photo printed as a 20×30 wall print, and I know that each and every time I looked at it, ‘I’ would be transported to a PERFECT moment in time… it just shows itself in that photo. I have to say that TODAY you brought a smile to my face. *U* Kathleen

6. junegauntley says:

What a wonderful trip you had, Jenny! I think I might have liked the “opposite” kind – the one like Jan’s – but how beautiful to be outdoors enjoying those sunsets! That photo is absolutely spectacular! Since I have met several “new” cousins who live in Australia through my genealogy research, we are now thinking that Aus might just be a fabulous destination!! I just need it to be cool….not used to having no trees! 🙂

7. mindys7 says:

Love your story and your pages! Hope the vertigo resolves…no chance it is postural hypotension (low blood pressure from standing up too fast,) or carotid artery stenosis (plaque build up in the carotid arteries causing less blood to get up to the brain.) Sorry, nurse in my wants to try to “fix” everything!
    We are also thinking about selling and moving closer to our kids (from Oregon to Montana which is about 1/2 way across the USA.) Am very interested in your transition and will be following 🙂

• Jenny says:

The vertigo is BBPV and comes on without warning.mal All good if I do some exercises but going on boats is out of the question. Thanks for your concern. Hope your move goes well too.

8. Jan says:

Oh, Jenny – looks like you had a grand time! Rex and I enjoyed our weekend away, too, although it was almost the exact opposite kind of trip!

9. Liz Propst says:

I can just see the relaxation in your faces!! I too pray your house sells soon…it’s no fun to have something like that hanging over your head. We used to camp a lot….these photos make me want to give it a try again!

10. Mooselvr5 says:

I feel relaxed just looking at these pictures……Australia is on my husband’s & I bucket list. For now I’ll do my relaxing when I can here in Maine! Thanks for sharing!

• Penny says:

At least you have lots of great options in Maine! I used to live there, and I still miss all the natural beauty and the many ways to enjoy the outdoors. Still, I would absolutely love to experience Australia. Thanks, Jenny, for the virtual vacation! 🙂