Have you ever wanted to rename a Media Vault and couldn’t quite figure out how? Here’s the answer:

Go the the Welcome Page of your Media Vault. At the top left corner of the screen you will see the location of the Media Vault on your computer:

rename_003

In my example, it is on my “I” Drive (my external hard drive), in a folder called “@Memory Vaults”.  The default location looks more like this:

rename_004

Close Historian/MM4.

Open Windows Explorer. Navigate to find the folder containing your Memory Vault.

Rename_001

Right-click and choose “Rename”.

rename_002

Type the new name of the Memory Vault and hit Enter to save it.

rename_005

Next time you open Historian/MM4, your new name will be applied.

rename_003

Note: The media vault in Historian was previously called the memory vault in Memory Manager.

8 Responses to Historian/MM4 Tip: How to Rename a Media Vault

1. Cindy Rold says:

Is there an easy way to take some photos from a MM and create a new MM with them?

• Shelley says:

The best way is to export the photos to a folder and then create your new Memory Vault and import those images. There’s no automatic way to do it. But you might like to read this tip, so that the export includes your tags and star ratings etc.

2. gemofjules says:

I have my family Memory Vault but then I have a Client Vault for people I do digital books for…I don’t want their pictures in my vault. I also have a digital idea Vault and also a Travel Vault on laptop that I take with me, since my main vault lives on my server at home. I recommend to some of my clients that they let their kids have their own vaults for the kids to keep their own stuff separate.
    Hope that helps someone make choices.

3. Jenni says:

Is it best to have one memory vault or should you have a few? like maybe a vault for each year?
    Does this improve the chances of things not getting lost… so to speak?

• Shelley says:

My opinion is that one Memory Vault is best. I do have separate Vaults for big overseas trips, simply because I take so many photos when I travel. But all my family photos are in one Memory Vault, and I love how easy it is to find whichever photo I’m looking for.

4. Heather Higgs says:

I have always wondered how to do this. One question. Will the shadow copy automatically change names as well, or don’t I have to worry about that?