SAHeaderJune2013I love to travel. I can’t imagine ever tiring of seeing new places, exploring the unknown, experiencing sights, sounds, and tastes of places far and wide. Over the years I have not been able to indulge my passion nearly as often as I would have liked, but recently I’ve had two wonderful trips to Africa, and the Galapagos Islands, as those who have been following my blog will know. I did not expect to be going anywhere very exotic for some time, while my budget recovered from those two amazing trips. That was until I got an invitation from my Dad to accompany him on a Mediterranean cruise.

Dad loves travel, and so did my Mum, and fortunately they both worked in professions that involved frequent overseas trips, and not a few longish stints living in different countries. I was born in England, while my Dad was working in Oxford, although I was always an Aussie. My parents love to tell people that by the time I was 8 weeks old I had been to 8 different countries. Growing up we spent a year living in the USA when I was 10, and a year in Israel when I was 16.

It’s no wonder that I inherited the wanderlust!!

We lost my Mum in 2011, from breast cancer, and my sister (my only sibling) the year before from the same disease. In fact the last couple of years have been pretty rough, as my brother-in-law was killed in a car crash and a sister-in-law died the same week as my Mum. I also lost a close friend from breast cancer. (Have you had your mammograms recently??).

Having people you love taken from you affects different people in different ways. For me it has led to a determination to get the most out of my time in this world, to grasp opportunities when they are offered, even when it isn’t really the sensible thing to do, and to cherish relationships that are important to me.

So when my Dad offered to take me on a cruise, it really was a no-brainier. I have already used up all my annual leave from work, and  they will be a bit short staffed without me. I can’t really afford it. I haven’t finished my Africa storybooks, let alone Galapagos. And it meant leaving my husband at home for a month to fend for himself. I really should have said no, but I didn’t! The opportunity to spend this time with my Dad, (who is in excellent health, but is naturally not getting any younger), to visit exotic places I had never dreamed of seeing, and to cruise in a style I never would have afforded myself – the allure was too great and I said an immediate yes!!

Oh The Places

By the time you read this I will be in Istanbul, Turkey. We are spending 10 days in Turkey, and then flying to Venice and cruising down the Dalmatian coast of Croatia to Athens. I will be away 4 weeks in total, and I can’t wait!!

As usual I plan to keep a blog – here’s a link to the site, if you want to come travelling with me (and if you’re really keen you can read all about my last two trips there too). I’ll be keeping an eye on p2P when I can, but I don’t know how often that will be, and I know I’m leaving you in good hands! I’m already looking forward to starting on my next StoryBook of this trip!!

This page is a taste of some of the places we will be visiting. (borrowing some images from the internet). I’m sure you’ll be seeing lots more pages in the next several months!  Page details – Blueprint: Pin it Up, Content Used: Travel Quick Kit Digital Content, What a View Digital Kit. Font: Gilligan’s Island

20 Responses to Blog: Off again

1. Tina Bruderer says:

Shelley after all your family has gone through you and your dad deserve this time together ! cant wait to see all your upcoming ages i have noticed how you love animals and nature but im a foodie it even has its own category in my mm vault lol so take at least a couple shots of food for the all the foodie fans out there but most of all enjoy yourself and don’t even think of responsibilities until you have unpacked and had a long nap after you arrive home.

• Shelley says:

Thanks Tina. Don’t worry – plenty of food photos this time! My Dad keeps saying “What do you do with all these food photos?” – scrapbook them, of course!!

2. cmsher says:

I have been planning for 5 years to take a 25th anniversary trip to Croatia and surrounding countries. I can’t wait to see and hear all about the Adriatic part of your excursion. What a wonderful opportunity. Kudos for taking the time!

3. Deanna Emmert says:

Your dad is totally blessed to have an adventuresome daughter like you and you are blessed to still have him in your life. (I lost my dad to esophageal cancer in February and my mom to endometrial cancer in 2003). But I did inherit his love of photography and, unlike him, I am scrapbooking my memories and I’ll have to figure out a way to scrapbook some of their memories! May you enjoy, enjoy, enjoy…oh, and take tons of photos. (Now WHY am I telling YOU to do that. 😉 LOL )!

• Shelley says:

I am sorry for your loss Deanna. I must have got my adventuresome spirit from my Dad – today he was telling me he is planning 3 overseas trips next year, at 83!

4. Kim says:

Traveling and Traveling with your dad – it doesn’t get better than that! Look forward to seeing all your photos!

5. Cindy Rold says:

A kindred spirit! I also love travel and grabbing life with gusto. I am sorry for your losses. I have lost two family members in the last 9 months, and it is hard. I have a sense of what you’ve been through.

6. sistersunshine says:

Shelley, Peace & joy. I too love to travel, but my body doesn’t, so I will be following your vicariously as you and your dad enjoy this time together… we will miss your many posts that may be a bit late… as seizing the moment can often make us a bit off schedule… know that we LOVE you, and want you to follow to where your heart leads you, and that you will always have a home in our hearts too… *U* Kathleen who is trying to say no worries, p2P is a team effort, and a virtual family… go play and have fun.

• Shelley says:

Kathleen, you don’t think Jan would let me go away without scheduling all my work in advance! You won’t miss me at all!! But you’re right – I am leaving the ship in excellent hands!

7. junegauntley says:

What a wonderful opportunity to spend time with your precious Dad, AND see more of the world, Shelley! We were on a Mediterranean cruise in 2007 and it was the best of the 13 cruises we have been on! You will love it! Can’t wait to follow your travel blog…have a great time! 🙂

8. Such an amazing attitude about life, Shelley! Have a wonderful trip with your dad. I am certain It will provide memories you will never forget.

9. Jenny Nunn says:

I certainly envy you Shelley, it looks an amazing trip!! Have a fantastic time…..and stay safe!!

10. Lori Bickford says:

Shelley, this is SO totally awesome!!! Going with your dad on a trip like that – making a page ahead of time of the places you’ll be going – can’t wait to follow your travels on your blog.

So sorry about all the losses you’ve had, and so close together. Good on you for celebrating their lives by finding adventure.

11. adakallen adakallen says: