When you delete a photo from Historian, it goes into its own recycle bin. This is excellent, because it gives you a chance to change your mind and retrieve the photo. However, it can get quite large, and like all recycle bins, needs to be emptied now & again.

To find out how big your recycle bin is, click on Welcome Tab. Click on “Show Me More Details”.

undelete

You can also get to the same place by clicking on File > Properties.

undelete_001

In the Memory Vault Properties dialogue box, click Support. You will see the Vault Recycle Bin label, which will tell you how big your recycle bin is. Mine is not too big, as I empty it regularly, but I have heard of some as big as 10 gigabytes. This is taking up valuable space on your hard drive and should be cleaned up regularly.

undelete_002

Before emptying the recycle bin, you can check what is there by clicking on “Show Recycle Bin”.  There’s no ‘undo’ so you want to be sure you no longer need those images.

When you’re ready, click “Empty Recycle Bin”. You get a second chance, as Historian will ask you are you sure you want to do this? Say yes, and enjoy the extra space you have created on your computer.

16 Responses to Historian Tip: Emptying the Recycle Bin

1. fbailey says:

Hi-When I went into the recycle bin I noticed the section re thumbnails with a button that says “Clear thumbnails”. Is this something that we should also do on a regular basis? Thanks.

2. Suzanne says:

24GB! So thankful to have these tips handy…going to see what else I can clean-up!

3. Kerri Hollier says:

39.4 GB goodness me!! and I still have a lot more to delete. I seem to have ended up with doubles, triples and quadruples of some photos. I think it was when I got MM to scan my computer for photos, it mustn’t have realised they were duplicates. Oh well better to have that than to have lost thousands of photos. Thanks Shelly :-))

4. Marsha Nienhaus says:

OMG! I had no idea. I had 6 GIG. Thank you so much for this tip.

5. Tabitha Jones says:

30.2GB- good grief! So glad I found this tip and I’m lovin’ poking around on P2P! Thank you so much ladies!

6. pixiechicks pixiechicks says:

Thanks for this tip!! Cleared out lots of poor pictures.

7. scrappylady says:

Is there something like this in SBC4.0 also or when we delete photos there do they delete like regular?

8. Lex Bakarich says:

Why bother looking to see what’s there? You cannot remove from the recycling bin so you’re stuck. Once they are in the bin they’re gone. Or is there something else I don’t know?

• Shelley says:

Oh you certainly can get them back! Here’s a TIP you ought to read – it applies to MM3, but the same can be done in 4. I will be updating that tip for MM4 soon.

9. Janet Barnes says:

18.5 GB! Thank you so much for this simple tip!