JF_Blog Header

Last time I wrote my blog I had pretty much just landed in the USA and was thoroughly enjoying catching up with Jan and Mary and meeting new p2P peeps in Naples, Florida and revelling in some good old Southern hospitality!   So much has happened since then!

In case you missed it, I am now at home after travelling with Jan for a month, up and across the eastern half of the US.  Having left Memphis just over a week ago on a sunny and humid 31C (88F) day, I am now writing in the cold of an Australian winter with the temperature outside being 7C (44F). I’m also having to adjust from 10pm dusk to 5pm darkness.

To hear more about what we got up to, have a read of Jan’s blog Travel Rocks Part 2. It was a fabulous trip and I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

I wanted to add my highlights, lots of people keep asking what they were, but I can’t narrow anything down to just a few – there were just so many!  The best that I can come up with in the highlight department was the people I got to meet and spend time with and of course the absolute privilege it is to travel anywhere and share your passion with others.

What I did enjoy was the amazing variety of unusual foods and dining experiences that Jan found for us to enjoy. If you’ve read anything that Jan has written or photographed, you will understand  what I mean when I say that if I was ever going to experience a country and the fabulous food that it had to offer, Jan is the best person to do it with! Fortunately, I got to experience that expertise first hand – we ate in some of the quaintest, unusual, delightful and downright bizarre places with some amazing selections of food.  One of the great joys was that a lot of it was all new to me.  I got to try fried green tom-ay-toes, crawfish, gumbo, jicama, collard greens, beignets, grits, okra, American and Canadian bacon, frozen custard, biscuits (unlike any biscuit I’ve ever seen in Australia!), apple butter, fried pickles and both Kentucky and Tennessee Barbecue (and believe me there is a difference) real southern fried chicken, fish tacos (we have tacos, but I’ve never had fish ones) and I have photos and a few extra kilos to prove it!

p2P Daily Files Blueprint
Recipe Book Digital Kit
Digital Embellishments – Office Supplies Silver
p2P Date Stamp 2013 Pixie Dust

Fonts: Kingthings Trypewriter and CK Journaling

p2P Blueprints DPS - Page 028

15 Responses to Blog: Eating my way across America!

1. Karen Bowser says:

Our country is so diverse in food because of the different nationalities. I would have thought Australia would be the same.

2. ConnieCox ConnieCox says:

As much as I have myself traveled, I have never experienced beignets. What is this dish – looks yummy in Juzzi’s photo!

3. Anita Albritton says:

I’m so glad you had a great time here in the states!! Love your pages telling the story through the regional foods! I know your family is glad to have you back home safe and sound!

4. Janice says:

Oh yum!!!! So many new foods, and new experiences – what a wonderful way to experience them all with Jan, Mary, Anne, Tameka and p2P Peeps! Now I’m off to make lunch, as your pages have made me hungry!

5. 3starrabbit says:

LOVE the page, the food notwithstanding! Where did you get the little cards that each food is pictured on?

6. Deanna Emmert says:

Glad you made it safely back to Australia and your family! 🙂

7. Penny says:

Ooooh! So jealous! I can just imagine sitting in the Cafe du Monde having beignets and their special coffee. And maybe a pecan praline for dessert (like you need dessert after beignets). 🙂

8. Jan says:

Now I’m hungry again! Oh, Juzzi! That was such a fun trip! I loved traveling with you – you can be my navigator any time! And official trip photographer, of course! I will look forward to touring with the fam NEXT TIME!

9. dachiemama dachiemama says:

Every state has their take on barbecue. I prefer Tennessee barbecue because that is the type I grew up on. Dry rub, not wet. You have Texas barbecue, totally different, even different types within the state. Glad you got to try gumbo, beignets and okra. Those are yummy. And the crawfish — I hope you sucked the heads.

10. cmsher says:

And I’m sure Jan told you – but North Carolina BBQ is an animal all unto itself and not like the others you tried. AND… it’s my favorite (and I’m from PA not NC). What a fabulous eating and visiting experience you had – wonderful, I’m sure there are many more album pages to produce and I look forward to seeing them.

• Justine says:

Oops .. I forgot that I actually did have NC Barbecue too! It was one of the unusual experiences I mentioned, more for where it was than the food and I agree, it is totally different again. My favourite … Kentucky barbecue!!!