SA_BlogHeader_July13

1 July was a red letter day at pixels2Pages. Finally after years of negotiations, meetings, emails and other entreaties, we were allowed to open memberships to our friends from Australia and New Zealand. Today is American Independence Day (Happy 4th July, y’all) but I thought it is also a good day to celebrate our new status by sharing some fun facts about Australia and New Zealand.

Did you know…?

• More than 80 percent of Australians live within 100 kilometres of the coast making Australia one of the world’s most urbanised coastal dwelling populations.
  • Australia has the world’s highest proportion of migrant settlers in a developed nation with over 30% of Australians born in another country.
  • In 1893, New Zealand was the first country in the world to grant women the right to vote. Australia was the second.
  • There are 1500 species of Australian spiders.
  • The Australian Coat Of Arms has a kangaroo and an emu on it. This is because neither the kangaroo or the emu is capable of walking backwards.
  • Australia is the only continent on Earth occupied by one nation.
  • Koalas sleep for 18 hours meaning that over an average ten year lifespan, they are only awake for 2 ½ years.
  • More than 80% of the mammals found in Australia are unique to Australia.
  • In the US they are called ‘flip-flops’, in Australia we say ‘thongs’ and in New Zealand they are ‘jandals’.
  • Voting in Australia is compulsory.
  • Australia is just slightly smaller than the U.S. (the lower 48 states), but has only about 23 million people.
  • Cotton candy is called fairy floss in Australia.
  • Australian money is made of plastic and is very colourful.
  • Australians (well, most of us) really do like the taste of Vegemite.
  • There are no land snakes in New Zealand. 20 of the world’s most venomous snakes are Australian.
  • The Maori name for New Zealand is Aotearoa (you pronounce every vowel – i.e.  ay-oh-teh-a-ro-ah) which means “Land of the Long White Cloud”.
  • Wellington, the Capital City of New Zealand  is the southernmost capital city in the world.
  • Auckland, also known as the ‘City of Sails’, has more boats per head of population than any other city in the world.
  • No part of New Zealand is more than 128km from the sea.

Did you know

22 Responses to Blog: Did you know?

1. annette says:

Emus, kangaroos and koalas! What beautiful faces! Thanks for sharing… 🙂

2. Terri in BC says:

Thanks for the great comparisons! A lot of things in Australia seems to be the same in Canada, like plastic, colourful money, a small population over a large area, and at one time, we called flip-flops “thongs” as well, at least until the underwear became popular. My son-in-law is from New Zealand so I hope to visit your end of the world one day!

3. 2acorns 2acorns says:

All the bird and animal photos you Aussies post make me want to come!!! Vegemite? Not so much. THANKS!!!

4. shirley shingara says:

Thank you for sharing! Such interesting tidbits, and makes me want even more to visit!

5. cmsher says:

How much fun these facts were. I’ve always wanted to visit both Australia and New Zealand. After all, I have a daughter named Sydney. When she was little she named all her stuffed animal friends accordingly: Canberra, Brisbane – there were others… I love to travel and hope that now that my nest is emptying, I can do much more of it. Thanks for this fun little collection of facts. Very interesting: no land snakes in NZ and compulsory voting in AU.

6. Lindie says:

I tried Vegemite in 2003 when I was traveling Australia and New Zealand. It is not my favorite, however, my father raised us to believe that “eating is an adventure”. I was fortunate to stay overnight at a Maori village. Thanks for the fun facts.

• Shelley says:

It is pretty rare for anyone who didn’t grow up on Vegemite to like it!

• annette says:

My Dutch dad loved Marmite! (Called it ‘mar-meet’) He ate it off a spoon right out of the jar! Isn’t that the same stinky, yucky stuff??! No offense, anyone! I just really couldn’t stand the smell or the texture, much less the taste!!

• Shelley says:

Marmite is very similar to vegemite (though most people prefer one or the other). It is indeed black, sticky and “yucky”. I love it!

• Ruth Bell says:

I grew up on marmite at boarding school. We had marmite on rice cakes every morning for breakfast. I still love it!

7. gemofjules says:

How incredibly fascinating! Your blog took me on a wonderful google search of all kinds of things including the voting laws and km conversions. What a WORLD of knowledge P2P provides.

8. Definitely on my bucket list! I got a good laugh this morning of the fun facts!

9. Deanna Emmert says:

Oh, I love all of these facts!!! Thank you. I may never get to Australia or New Zealand, but you have provided me with many wonderful tidbits of info. 🙂 Thank you, Shelley, and I’m so very glad that Australasia is open to p2P now!

10. junegauntley says:

What a wonderful and interesting blog and page to celebrate Australia and New Zealand! Australia and Canada have so much in common – our country’s size, our population, where we live, our colourful money! this blog gives me an idea to do up a page comparing the countries….thank you so much for all this good information. Makes me want to visit Australia and New Zealand where both my husband and I have cousins. I would like to take this opportunity to heartily welcome Australian and New Zealand scrappers to p2P!

11. Carolyn says:

Interesting, Shelley! It might be interesting to you to know that women DID vote in the U.S prior to 1893. Universal sufferage came in 1920 but women who were unmarried property owners voted routinely prior to 1893.

12. Tracie says:

It was fun to read your blog and I love the accompanying page. One of my dear friends lived in Australia for nearly two years with her family, and years later her daughter attended college in New Zealand. Then my cousin moved to Australia for work and toured New Zealand. So I’ve enjoyed learning about these wonderful places through their photos and stories — amazing place and people. Glad they can finally be part of the p2P family. 🙂

13. coryd says:

Australia and New Zealand are on our short list of places to visit. Thank you for the wonderful information.

14. Linda DeLaughter says:

Since I have visited your beautiful country as well as New Zealand, I knew a lot of your “info” listed above, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading more. The Land of Oz Down Under holds a special place in my heart and many of our life long friends live there. I can’t wait to visit there again.