BlogHeader_Aug13_SAAs we all know, we are in the middle of a period of great change. The Creative Memories that we know and love is going away. We don’t know yet what the future holds, but we do know it will look very different. I am sure many of you are experiencing the same mixed emotions that I am. Sadness for what we are losing, excitement and not a little nervousness about the future, and perhaps a little frustration with the process. But the more I think about what’s happening, the more I am reminded of the many gifts my journey with Creative Memories has brought to my life.

My first exposure to Creative Memories was at a craft show. I was a card maker, and not interested in “scrapbooking”, but I stopped by the CM stand because I was impressed with their cutting tools. A few minutes later (literally) I bumped into my good friend Claire, who had just signed up to host a CM class and invited me. Of course, I loved the class, bought the “Fun Kit” (who remembers the First, Fast and Fun Kits?) and could hardly sleep for my excitement. I raced home and took all my photos out of the awful albums, shoe boxes and packets they were in and started planning my albums. I went to every workshop Claire held, hosted a few classes and spent all my spare time making pages. Soon I realised instead of spending money I could be making money, and signed up as a consultant. I loved that I could still indulge my passion, while helping others find theirs. I loved getting to know other consultants, working alongside them at big events, going to unit meetings, trainings, and especially Showcase. I met some amazing inspiring people, and developed life-long friendships.

Living in Australia, we would see new products released in North America some time before they reached Australia. We watched from afar as StoryBook Creator software was released and Creative Memories moved into the digital world. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the software! I was fortunate to be in a small group of consultants who were asked to test StoryBook Creator prior to its release. I finished an 11×8.5 book in a weekend, and uploaded it for printing. I can still remember my excitement, standing in the street, tearing the packaging off the parcel. I wanted to show all the strangers in the Post Office my beautiful creation – still one of my most precious possessions!

Although I loved my traditional scrapbooks, the more I got into the digital side of it the more I fell in love with it. I found myself training others, and giving talks on StoryBook Creator and Memory Manager. I started a blog, posting some tips and ideas. I discovered Facebook and the amazing community of  digi-scrappers from across the globe. I was still holding my regular workshops, and running occasional ‘parties’ (we had stopped calling them classes by then) but I discovered my true love was teaching and training. I genuinely loved Creative Memories Software, and I loved watching the lights turn on as I helped people learn to use the software for themselves. So when a bunch of us got together and decided to pool our efforts and create a website to train on Memory Manager and StoryBook Creator I was always going to be in that! pixels2Pages was born, and the rest, as they say is history.

Fast forward to August 2013. As we face the changes coming over the next few months, I find myself reflecting on the road I have travelled to bring me to this place. I have so much to be grateful for. I’m thankful for lots of completed albums (and, I have to confess, quite a few uncompleted ones too!). I’m thankful for fun times I’ve had sitting with friends old and new at classes, workshops, crops and retreats. I’m thankful for the people I got to meet, and the good friends I made. I’m thankful for people who allowed me to share their lives, loves and hopes through their albums. I’m thankful for lessons learned about myself, being pushed well out of my comfort zone. I’m thankful for opportunities to stretch myself. I’m thankful for laughter and tears. I’m thankful that the creative side of my brain was unlocked.

I’m especially thankful for my team mates at pixels2Pages, who have daily inspired me, impressed me, challenged me, motivated me, laughed with me, cried with me, laughed at me, cared for me, taught me, and encouraged me. I don’t know what the future holds, but I know that we will continue to play our part. I for one, can’t wait!

A Legacy of Love

Page Details – My Heart Blueprint, O Canada Digital Kit, Holidazzle Alphaset, Abigail Font.

34 Responses to Blog: Looking back, looking forward

1. debzz debzz says:

So…big question for the new year. With all the changes switching from CM to Panstoria, I am wondering if you could tell me WHERE our storybooks are actually printed and bound, and do you have any ideas how long it takes to recieve them? Cm books were printed in Minnesota and they usually had an estimated ship date. Is there a phone number to contact them if we have questions or problems? I am working on finishing up my Day 2 Day album and would feel more comfortable knowing abit more about the ordering and printing process. Thanks for your help!

2. Jan says:

I still have a hard time picturing you as a card maker!! But no trouble at all seeing you training rooms full of eager-to-learn CMCs! I remember being attracted to your ‘Tip of the Day’ and marveling at how you could so concisely convey information in a way that was so easy to understand. That hasn’t changed – you still teach me something new almost every time we talk! I guess I am still getting my Tip of the Day!! But truly, thanks most of all for not thinking I was an axe murderer and inviting me to your home and showing me around your beautiful country. And here we are!! xx

3. tverd76 says:

My mother made her first scrapbook in 1942 when she graduated from college. She continued to make them until she died. Her family scrapbooks and travel books after we all left home plus some misc books totaled more than 80. None of these are CM books. The pages have faded and the pictures aren’t as pristine as they have been in a CM book. But, they are millions of times better than if she hadn’t done them like so many of her generation. Every picture is labeled and there is journalling and newspaper articles and memorabilia on all the pages.

To think about life today without Creative Memories is very stressful. I still do a combination of tradition and digital. Several years ago I became acquainted with you Pixies. I love the help you ladies have provided to me. My books are awesome because of the layouts and videos and everything else you do.

Thank you Shelley (and all you other Pixies) for helping lead us through this difficult time without Creative Memories. When I first heard that traditional was going away I thought “I will do more with Digital. I can get through this. I will be ok.” Then, I saw that digital was going away too. Panic city. But, we will keep on.

As long as we have children and pets and vacations we will still have scrapbooks.

4. [email protected] [email protected] says:

I downloaded the free copy of SB in October 2007 and completed a book in time to order three copies of a very special weekend to give as Christmas presents. For Christmas, my husband gave me the complete CD. It was not until mid-2008 that I opened the program, and as you say, the rest is history. I have been a follower of Pixels2Pages since it was first opened to scrapbooks and when subscriptions became available signed up for the P2P membership. I love what you Pixies have done and how much I have learned and anxiously await my next lesson or challenge. Whatever the future brings, I will be a faithful follower. Thanks so much for everything you do, the questions you answer and positive feedback on pages uploaded to Facebook.

5. Jennifer Langford says:

Your post has left me teary. I am grateful too, My story is similar but different and I hope you can still be one of the supports in my scrapbooking life. I believed in CM. What I realise now is that I believe in the value of scrapbooking – the means of achieving this is less important and I look forward to the future of my scrapbooking journey with you.

• Shelley says:

You are too sweet Jennifer! You are right – it is our photos and memories that are the important thing, and we certainly plan to stay around and help you look after them as they deserve!

6. Sandy says:

Shelley, Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It’s one that rings familiar with a lot of us. The first workshop that I went to was with a friend who wanted someone to “pull her out” if it got too pushy. I liked what I’d seen and kept returning to workshops, completing lots of albums. I kept saying I wouldn’t sign on as a consultant, but finally gave in to the idea of paying myself 30% to create albums. When digital first became an option I couldn’t believe people would give up working with printed photos, papers, stickers and all the other fun traditional toys, I didn’t think it was possible for me to create pages on the computer, especially because I was working on a Mac and the program was developed for PC (The Dark Side as I referred to it.) I gave in because I had to know it in order to sell it. After putting together my first StoryBook I was hooked. With the arrival of pixels2Pages as a beta test I discovered so many more things that could be done with the program that hadn’t been shared. Then Studio was released and I was such a happy camper. I took the information from the Pixies and translated it to Studio projects and was completely sold. Three years ago I swore I would never give up traditional albums. I can honestly say that I have not done a traditional page in two and a half years.

I don’t know where we are going to be in the next couple months but I’m really hopeful that some sort of digital program is available for us to continue with. Whatever is in store for us, I’m looking forward to continuing to learn and share through p2P. Together we can get through this.

• Shelley says:

I’m the same Sandy. I loved the traditional and always thought I would do both but in the last year I have given almost all my traditional supplies away!

7. Jean Young says:

Thank you Shelley for ALL YOU DO!! I have learned so much from all of you pixies. Looking forward to the future with you pixies!!!

8. Deanna Emmert says:

Shelley, you DO have a talent for teaching and training and troubleshooting! Thank you for all you do for the p2P team! I appreciate the talents of each and every one of you Pixies! Changes in life happen. I am, personally, not always up for changes, but, in this case, with a team like p2P in place I am confident that this particular change will be handled professionally and with much guidance available. I am OK, I am breathing (as Jan said), I am going to go happily play in Storybook Creator Land now knowing p2P is there for me!!! 🙂 Many, many thanks!!!!

9. Kerrianne says:

My favourite bit … the “laughed at you” bit 🙂

10. Doreen Watkins says:

Thank you for sharing, Shelley! I first saw CM 12 years ago at a craft fair and knew that is what I wanted for my photos. I had never planned on being a consultant, but my consultant was moving interstate and offered me a ready made customer base with a couple of classes booked. Like you I have made some life long friends, had lots of fun with them along the way. When SBC came out, I was thrilled too! The first book I did, was of Alison’s year at school! It was created using the Basic Blue pre-designed pages! I looked at a few days ago and thought about all the changes that have occurred since I made that book! When CM announced that they were in voluntary administration in May, I was devastated – both as a customer and a consultant! I loved CM! We were lucky in Australia, that CTMH has taken us under their wing and welcomed us into their “family”! But I still thing SBC and MM are the best programs around. With the uncertainty of the support available for these programs I think I am still grieving the loss! I have not done much digital scrapping in the last 6-8 weeks or so, but I know I will go back to them. I know that I can lots of support from the p2P team, but am scared of what will happen if my computer dies and I have to re-install! With an upcoming overseas trip, I know that we will have thousands of photos to preserve and the best way is with MM and SBC! So I continue to save all BPs & Pixie Dust, check out all the challenges and videos and any other offerings – making a note of things I will want to use as I create the books of our trip! I thank all the wonderful Pixies and the p2P family for all you have offered and continue to offer, and most of all for your friendship! 🙂 <3 🙂

• Shelley says:

Thanks for sharing your story Doreen. Your absence has been noticed!! Try not to worry too much, I’m sure there is hope for the digi-scrapping future 🙂

11. Lindaplaywpics says:

My story started back in 1997 when we were stationed at Ft Ord, California. The base had been closed for awhile but the housing was still there for military students and their families who were attending the Defense Language Institute or the Post Navy Graduate School. There wasn’t much to do and we didn’t have alot of money, so while the husbands went off to work, we wives grouped at my house and we raised our kids together for 18 months. Two things we fell in love with: Creative Memories(traditional) and Pampered Chef! I have a HUGE Rubbermaid storage box full of my CM scrapbooking stuff from back then including some of the first stickers, paper and those fun scissors that I loved so much(I think I have about 10 different ones, my favorite of course was the “Victorian Cut”) Your story made me so nostalgic. Can it really have been 16 years ago? I’m (slowly) working on my “all about me” book and your story reminded me to include this(how did I forget?) Thanks for a walk down memory lane. I’m with you, lets raise our glasses to our scrapbooking future! Now I’m going to go and pull that storage bin out and look at all that “vintage” stuff!! <3

12. Shelly, I have followed you from the start – when you trained through your blogs and I want to say thank you for all the time you’ve invested in making our digital scrapbooking so much easier! I have loved your tips and grown so much in my digi scrapping abilities in part, due to you! Yes, we’ve had quite the journey through the years and I’m thrilled to say I’m sticking along for the ride with whatever Creative Memories launches in the near future! I’ll be hanging around p2P, too, of course! What would I do without you all!

• Shelley says:

We’ve travelled quite a road together, haven’t we! There’s a bend in the road right now, but I’m sure there are great things in store around that corner!

13. inekeloux says:

Shelley – thank you so much for your back story and positive look at the future. I could relate to much of what you wrote, though my consultant journey has been different, and doesn’t include the Australia, blog, or p2P team-member parts . . . But I could certainly look back on all the special friendships and being stretched and loving StoryBook Creator (I replaced the desktop publishing program I use at my day job with SBC in 2009 and have never regretted it.) As I anticipate what the new company will look like, I know that regardless how the digital part plays out, I will keep on loving the digital scrapping that I have been doing since I downloaded SBC in Nov 2007, and know a big part of my enjoyment has been due to all I have learned through p2P! For starters, I just love the whole D2D concept. Thank you all so very much.

14. Jen says:

I just want to thank the Pixies!! For all of their hard work.. I can always turn to one of there blueprints when I am stuck on a page or just need to finish that book and can’t seem to find the right way to do it. I have tons of completed books on my shelves and I can say I am pretty much caught up on all of my yearly books I do (there are 5) due to the Pixies.. I look forward to the new adventure and teachings from you special ladies!!

15. Chris Schilling says:

So beautifully written. I am nervous as well, I love this software and therefore have invested so much. I have gotten so much more out of it because of all you Pixies. I hope they find a way for it to go on. Hey, why don’t you gals take it over ….

16. sistersunshine says:

Our CCS~after handcutting for over 30 years of scrapping, that was the reason I became a CMC too… (that and I was too cheap to pay full price… signed on with the intent of earning the kit and quitting… oops what part of that plan didn’t work… almost 13 years later lol) *U* Kathleen

17. gayneal says:

Reading all of your blogs this month will be fun! I know each of you have been CM consultants, but reading why is a treat. Plus, I have and added sense of calm about the future after reading your positive words. What a great attitude you have, Shelley.