KH Blog Header

I might be home by the time you get to read this, but maybe I will be still travelling! You see, this is my first road trip ever by myself with just my son. Normally we have always gone on family holidays and trips together or just my husband and I. But this is a BIG and NEW adventure for me. And for Liam.

We have travelled 540km’s (335.5 miles) in 7 hours across the state to the far north of Victoria to get from Geelong to Mildura.

mapLiam has a friend that lives in Mildura and we decided that during the holidays we could spend 4 days to make the round trip to go see him. We left early Wednesday morning and we are heading home on Saturday, hopefully by dinner time 🙂

I have only ever been to Mildura once before as a young girl, and can’t remember much about it. We do have photos of the trip though, and I remember seeing them more than the actual trip. Some of the photos are of me with my mum, dad and brother on a paddle steamer on the Murray River. The Murray is the border between Victoria and New South Wales. It is 2,508 km long and is the longest river in Australia. So, a paddle steamer ride on the river was one of the first things on our list to do.

We saw some fabulous sights along the way on our drive and stopped a few times for some photo opportunities! About the third time I pulled the car over and did a U turn and headed back to something Liam just said .. “photo?” He gets a real kick out of the quirky things I take photos of and often flicks back through my mobile phone to look at the photos.

Once we had about 40 kms to go the excitement really kicked in. Liam went from nearly asleep to wide eyed and completely observant. So much so, asking me if I had seen this and seen that?. My reply “um, no I have to watch the road!!”

Once we settled into our motel, we headed over to Liam’s friends place. We had a great catch up and then dinner together. The next day I dropped Liam back over for him to stay over for the night. Then we all met up the following day to do the Murray River cruise, have lunch and hang out until dinner time. I spent my ‘alone’ time doing some driving around to different sights and of course taking photos. I had some dinner and watched a few movies back at the motel.

It has been a fun few days away and I would certainly like to do many more road trips with my boys. This was our first one and according to Liam, we will be back!

Below are a few of the photos from our trip, hot off my sd card 🙂 I will develop a few of these photos into completed pages when I get home.

So for now, I’m loving the holidays and spending some quality time with my son.

Mildy RT

17 Responses to Blog: Road Trip Number ONE!

1. Would love to know what Font you used on your page- it’s really very clever.

2. Jan says:

You know exactly what I think of this adventure (and the ones to follow)!!! I know you had a fantastic time and I can’t wait to hear and see more about this trip. So glad you and Liam had a fun time together on the road! xx

3. inekeloux says:

Kerrianne – what a great trip for the two of you! Love seeing the kangaroo crossing sign, in the States have seen deer, elk, moose and duck crossing signs, but since we do not have kangaroos here (unless they escaped from some zoo or in a wildlife park.) Also love the photo of the paddle steamer coming up/down the river — that must have been a super wonderful ride. Enjoy anticipating more great adventures like this one.

4. annette says:

Don’t know how old Liam is, but I did a similar trip with my 17 year old in June and it was wonderful! Up and around the northern part of Minnesota, looking at colleges. Gas stops, hotels, dinners out, college tours, a close call with the state patrol (HE was driving!!) (just a warning – not a ticket…whew!) It was all good! What a memory to treasure.

5. Top center left photo reminds me of parts of eastern Washington here in the states. What a fun trip you and Liam had! So much fun to travel with a teenage son….I remember doing that years ago. They appreciate the photos as they get older, too, Kerrianne, so I never felt bad about stopping or turning around! It’s worth the memories!

• Kerrianne says:

Liam read an entire book on the trip and I kept interrupting him to look at something. He was lucky to get 6 pages read at a time before there was a new thing to look at!! We did have a great time!

6. Kim Passmore says:

Kerrianne, I love the layout of your page and how the frames, while in a line, don’t all line up – very effective! Is this an old blueprint or your own design? I think I may have to try to scrap lift this:) Great story too! Kim

• Kerrianne says:

Kim,
      The page is actually a very old BP from 2010 that I did design (Snippets of 2010). Sometimes it’s nice for us to use our ‘old stash’ too. Every now and then we release old blueprints, so I will keep this one in mind when we are on the search for an oldie, but a goodie!
      Thanks.

7. kathy says:

You have inspired me to do this with my sons. Lovely photos.

8. Jenny says:

Looks like fun! Our next big road trip, hopefully, will be driving west to east and east to west which will take us a month next March. Great that you did this for your son, spesh. 🙂

9. Alison Woof says:

Good on you Kerrianne for taking this trip with Liam. It will be a special memory for both of you. Sounds like a great place to visit – will have to put it on my “one day” list.

• Kerrianne says:

It really was a big surprise for me Alison. I don’t really remember it from the time before. I was expecting lots of desert and barren fields, but it was almost tropical. Palm trees everywhere and grape vines as far as the eye could see. Hundreds of vineyards in fact! Grapes are the biggest export out of Mildura. I always thought oranges were, but that has changed. It’s a great spot and we had a great time!