SA_Blog_Header_SAWhen thinking about what to write about in today’s blog, I was sitting at my desk staring somewhat blankly into space looking for inspiration. (I do that often, even though it rarely helps!). My glance fell on this quote, which I had seen on Facebook and loved it so much that I printed it and stuck it on my wall. It said:

You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy tea, and that’s kind of the same thing.

I have to confess, that when I’m tired, or want to take a moment out of my busy day, or just spending time with a friend or a good book, there’s nothing like a steaming hot cup of tea. I start every day with a cuppa, and always have one after dinner. If anyone comes to visit, I offer a cuppa before they take their coats off. If I’m sad a cup of tea always makes me feel better, and when I’m stressed, stopping for a cuppa immediately brings a sense of calm. When I arrive at work I put the kettle on before I turn on the computer. So you can see perhaps why that quote appealed to me so much!

Thinking about tea started me thinking about teapots and teacups and my long love affair with all things tea themed. Of late I have been trying hard to declutter, and have got rid of many dust collectors from my house. But I have not been able to let go of any of the tea things. Just looking at them gives me warm fuzzies!

The collection started when Keith & I were first married. We loved fossicking in second hand shops in small country towns, and bought a couple of pre-loved cup and saucer sets that we just thought were pretty. We hadn’t planned to start a collection, but before we knew it we had quite a few. I doubt if any of them are antiques, or have any intrinsic value, but we loved them for their lovely shape and designs, but also the connection with the past and the thought of the conversations, celebrations and life moments those cups were witness to over the years.

I have some  lovely fine china tea sets that belonged to my grandmothers. They bring back memories of a gentler time and a slower pace of life. I have a stylish 1950s set that my parents were given for a wedding present, which must have been the very latest thing when they married in 1953.  I have a very quirky collection of elephant themed teapots (there is probably another blog post for another day explaining the elephants!). And when I was in Turkey in June this year, the only souvenir I bought was a classic Turkish Tea Set, which filled close to a third of my suitcase! It sits in pride of place on my dining room table now.

Well, I’ve worked up a bit of a thirst writing this. Must be time for another cuppa …

Tea_Time

Page details:

• Blueprint  Twin Peaks (slightly modified)
  • Content: Ageless Beauty Digital Kit from Creative Memories, July Pixie Dust from pixels2Pages “Tea Time”
  • Font: Yummy Cupcakes

35 Responses to Blog: Time for a cuppa?

1. JaneenK says:

Ooo-ooo-ooo…what a great idea you have given me for a page or two. I think I want to start a memory scrap book for our daughter to enjoy some day. I too love teapots and cups, I have a few and have made myself let go of ones that were gifted me but weren’t really something I would choose, just to keep the collection down. The ones I have have,lovely stories behind them, they need to be written. I’ll raise my cup to that. Your quote made me smile in agreement.

2. Liz Propst says:

Shelley…and just wait until you see the cuppa that a very special Pixie shared with me…and mailed it all the way across the US. Just love your cuppa, I remember when you Aussies first taught me that work in the very earliest days of p2P! Thanks for your sharing.

3. Tina Bruderer says:

Dear Shelley, While attending university of Middle Tennesse I lived with an aussie family who started me in drinking tea I really did not like the tea at first because I am a bottled coke girl but i endured because she always had great snacks like tim tams -im addicted or crumpets which i also enjoyed but eventually the tea thing grew on me i do like it now but i never could understand the milk in it anyway great story. it made me want a “cuppa “right now

4. Phyllis Offenkrantz says:

My mom was born in Scotland, and she loved to have a cuppa, also. I’m a coffee drinker, but whenever I was with my mom, we always ended up with cups of tea in our hands. She had a beautiful collection of china tea cups that she had collected from all over the USA and the world and when she passed away, I divided up the collection between my daughters, nieces, grandnieces and special friends of my mom’s. I love that they all have a bit of her collection; much better than if I still had them all. But I do have several tea sets that were hers and I display (but don’t use anymore not that she’s gone; remember? coffee drinker!) and I think of her when I see them.

• Shelley says:

I’m loving all your stories about your memories of tea cups and tea post! How wonderful that your mother’s precious collection is being passed down the generations.

5. Katrina says:

Cuppa I love it, I will never write “a cup of tea” again.
    Shelley what a heart warming Blog! Love tea, and think of it as a healing wonder. Whenever anyone in the family is not feeling 100% they get a cuppa tea.

6. Mindy LeVar says:

Shelley, Thank you for sharing a cuppa with us! I have a teapot collection that I started when I was just 12 years old and I have proudly displayed my teapots in every kitchen I have ever steeped my tea in. I am unavoidably drawn to any teapot I see in a store window or display. Your pictures are lovely and your layout inspiring. It’s great to find another tea enthusiast and someone who appreciates the “warm fuzzies” that come from anything tea related! My children share my love of tea, and I hope someday my treasured teapots will be treasured by them as more than a memory. Just in case, I will (with your permission) scraplift your layout and preserve the memories in our scrapbook this year!

7. Anne says:

So fun to see all the wonderful teapots and cups in your collection Shelley! It would be impossible to downsize those away. We here in the south are so addicted to iced tea but on a cold rainy day – a good ‘cuppa’ of hot tea really hits the spot.

8. mindys7 says:

Ahhh, Shelley, as I sit here with my cuppa reading….every morning it is a cuppa, early afternoon a cuppa. Would do the after dinner thing or late evening but I’m not too fond of herbal teas and definitely NOT fond of not sleeping from caffeinated teas. My hubby got me this great tea maker for my birthday: Ingeni Coffee & Tea Maker APC-50 by Timolino. We stopped at a tea shop and had tea and cheesecake and they made their tea in these. I can’t believe that tea could taste any better than my microwaved water with a bag but it really does! When I can it is always a cuppa with my Pixies every morning. The perfect combo! Thanks for sharing your story, your quote and your pages.
    P.S. LOVE your blog topper!!!

• Shelley says:

Thanks Mindy. I’m not a fan of herbal teas either, but I LOVE chai tea – that’s my tea of choice at the moment. I will have to check out that tea maker!!

9. Anita Albritton says:

Really enjoyed your blog, Shelley! And your all things tea collection is FABULOUS!! Love, love, love your pages!!

10. Carolyn says:

Delightful, Shelley! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

11. Alison Woof says:

Love love love your page and your post Shelley. Tea is a very special thing and a certain cup or teapot can evoke such strong associations. I always think of my Granny when I see knitted tea cosies! And Darjeeling tea takes me back to my time in Russia more than 20 years ago. I even remember the first cup of tea I ever had – in a caravan. Thanks for sharing your lovely tea things with us.

12. Growing up we had a shelf in our kitchen lined with a collection of teapots, but I never remember those being used. I know there was a china dog one. I wonder whatever happened to them? This is a good reminder to go ask my parents, who are tea drinkers. They always used the old copper tea kettle on top of the stove and steeped tea bags in each cup. We have tea when we visit them, but I never got into the habit of having it at home. By the way I love your blog topper Shelley!

• Shelley says:

I have to confess that I rarely use all the lovely cups & teapots! Mostly I drink from my favourite mugs with a tea bag. I wonder if that China Dog is safely tucked away in a cupboard somewhere?

13. annette says:

And my Dutch dad always brewed a pot of tea on chilly winter weekend afternoons…. There’s something about a cup of tea….

14. junegauntley says:

Shelley, love your pages! I, too, inherited many china cups and saucers from my mother, who also inherited them…my parents were married in 1939, and one of their wedding presents was a wonderful black and white tea set, which now sits in my china cabinet. I have often thought I should honour Mum by creating some pages about these lovely things. My mum, too, loved her tea… Thank you for this lovely inspiration! 🙂

15. Gloria says:

Really love love your pages. I also have some of my Grandmother’s china including a set of Havilan Limoges. My grandmother gave my Mum her first cup and saucer in 1947 which started her collection. How do I know…on the bottom of the saucer are two strips of tape in my Mum’s hand: 1st cup of my collection, and, Given to me by Ron’s Mother, Maisie Green – 1947. Great connection to my heritage which will join my daughters collection in the future.

16. Liz Propst says:

It’s a small world…Pixie Anne recently gave me a pillow that sits on the sofa in my family room. It’s the same quote but it is changed up a bit…Money can’t buy you happiness but it can buy you marshmallows and that’s kinda the same thing!!

17. Cindy Rold says:

You do have quite a collection. I’d love to hear the story behind the elephant ones.

18. Marjorie Webb says:

Shelley, I loved this post; it brings back my dear mother to me. She, too, loved tea, and she always had a “cuppa” after dinner, every morning, and if ever anything upset her. In fact, she loved tea so much, we slipped a tea bag into her pocket when she passed away, so that she will always have her “cuppa” tea in heaven.
    I feel so connected to her native homeland of Australia through this membership and love hearing all of the Australian accents. My mother left Australia after WWII when she married my father, an American soldier. The only time she ever returned was for a visit after my older sister was born. My grandmother moved to America to live when I was six. I have relatives in Sydney and Melbourne.
    My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Australia nearly twenty years ago, so I was able to visit my mothers birthplace and see where she lived and fell in love with my father.
    I enjoy seeing all the pages with photos in Australia, and I like to think my mother smiles, too, as she looks on with pride from where she is, now. Thanks for sharing this lovely essay, Shelley, it brings a smile and a warm feeling of being connected.

• Shelley says:

Oh Marjorie, you have moved me to tears! I just love the image of your mother having a cuppa in heaven! So glad to hear about your strong Aussie connections too. Thank you for sharing.

• mindys7 says:

Yup, had to grab a tissue too! LOVE that you put a tea bag in your mother’s pocket…so thoughtful of you! LOVE your story…isn’t it SO true that we all have stories to tell and share with future generations. What a lovely story and thanks for sharing it. Hope you have all of these stories in scrapbook pages Marjorie to pass down. Just pulled up some pix that my daughter’s roommate was able to rescue for me after a hard drive crash and the memories that came rolling up for me were astounding! I need to get them scrapped!