Mary's Blog Header New

About 7 months ago, I began walking to restore my health after surgery and during my weight loss adventure (of which I am still on) slowly, but surely getting rid of excess pounds that took decades to make themselves at home on my body. I started out barely able to walk a mile.  I have waned and wavered, started and stopped, but have slowly worked my way up to a 5 mile route and I lift weight and do core work at least once a week.  My weekly mileage is between 10 and 15 miles.

As I began this exercise routine I found parts of my body rebelling like never before.  (I used to run 6 miles a day in one hour when Becca was 2) I had to reconcile with myself that I am almost 20 years older and hesitant to accept that things have changed! I have to exercise  quite differently now.  My knees scream if I run uphill so that’s a no no. It’s not pleasant to listen to or feel.  They don’t seem to mind as much the straightaways and the downhills. They also say emphatically NO to 5 miles every day.  They seem to be accepting 5 miles every other day during the week for now with an occasional two miler with the dog in-between.

But here’s my dilemma. I use an app called “RunKeeper” to track my progress.  I don’t really  know what exercise to choose.  My options are run or walk.  Well, it’s neither! I walk the uphills and jog the straightaways and downhills.

I have a new house being built next door to me. I was chatting with and explaining to the future neighbors my problem, (they’re both few years older than I).  She started laughing about my dilemma and then told me she and her husband participated in “runs”.  She told me that she calls what I do “Wogging”. Its a combination of walking and jogging and it’s what she does! It also seems a pretty accurate description of what I do. Now if I could only get the people who make RunKeeper to add “Wogging” as an option!

Over the last month I have taken pictures of my “Wogging” route.  I’m sure, as bad weather heads our way for winter, I’ll move to an elliptical indoors. It’s a little boring but my body doesn’t like cold either!

I’d love to see how some of you stay healthy so be sure and share pages on what you do!

Mary

p2P_Blog_2013_10_09_MBSavannah Digital Kit

16 Responses to Blog: Wogging

1. Jan says:

Mary, you, along with Kim, Tameka, Juzzi, and Janice (and Jenny and Carolyn) have been inspiring me! My fitbit is keeping me accountable and I’m working my butt off (hopefully literally!) to keep up with my sister. This has been my best week yet – I’m averaging 10,000 steps a day, which for me is just under 5 miles a day. I even jogged a bit yesterday – not sure I’ve run since I was on the track team, and that was a LONG time ago! Thanks!!

2. shirley shingara says:

Great blog, and I love your wogging route! It is hard when our tools don’t match ‘the real thing’, but you ARE doing great and listening to your body. I’d love to go with you for a walk as well! I am not much for the jog portion, but may work up to it.

3. Katrina says:

Ditto, you have a beautiful scenic walk.
    Exercising goes hand in hand with balance diet. Mary any tips on curving your appetite? or is it just a mind set? Perhaps that another blog 🙂

• Mary says:

Katrina, I may be the wrong one to ask! My eating habits have changed a lot over the last 18 months when I decided to get healthier. My mom has severe cardiac disease that started in her late 40’s (she’s 83 now and just had another cardiac surgery). Since I’m in my mid 50’s with no problems yet, my doctor and I decided prevention was the best medicine. I sought the services of a registered dietician in Louisiana where I grew up and have started using her “Eat to Lose” program.It is not a diet but a way of eating for life. BUT, while I’ve been mostly successful I do go off every once in a while. I choose one day a week not to pay attention to anything I eat. (Usually a weekend day when we might cook out/go out with friends or family). It is interesting though since losing weight and changing eating habits those “splurges” don’t happen as much as they used to and snack choices are more likely to be nuts and fruit over chips. It’s good to note that when I do go “off the wagon” it doesn’t last long and I don’t beat myself up about it! Keep me posted if you start anything. You can do it!

4. crefreeman says:

Great job Mary, keep it up. I must say it was interesting reading you blog. I have a large family and every 3 years we have a reunion. Two reunions ago, I meet my ‘cousin’ Tom (my Great Uncle’s, Great Grandson, I think is the connection). Tom is always talking about RunKeeper on his fb page, he is listed on his fb page as the Vice President of User Experience. Is there any way I can forward/email him your blog to help with you wogging suggestion?

• Mary says:

I think if you want him to see it you can just send him the link from the address bar above.(highlight it and copy and paste it into an email to him) Small world of users!

5. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

Keep it Up Mary! I use the Lose It app and lost 50 plus pounds keeping track of my food and exercises!! I like that you can create your own exercise, time and calories burned!! I walk a lot too! Right now we are camp hosting at Lake Norman State Park and I take advantage of the hiking trails! I have found they are much easier this year than last!! Must be that 50 pounds of fat I was carrying around!! I started my journey with the Wii Fit Plus and an elliptical, and for now am enjoying being able to be outside!! Good luck and keep it up!! Slow and steady wins the weight loss race!! One day at a time keeps it off!!

• Mary says:

Goof job Donna and its so good that slow and steady wins the race. I think that’s all my body will take now! I am grateful the weather is beautiful and outside is still an option. Sounds like your walking route is beautiful too! Enjoy!

6. Deanna Emmert says:

I bounce on a rebounder (aka mini-trampoline). I have a playlist of songs on a USB drive that I insert into our stereo system and play them while I bounce. I watch the squirrels and birds in our front yard as I bounce. Several of the squirrels have been known to look like they are watching me when I bounce which causes me to laugh so hard sometimes that I have to pause or I would lose my balance. But it is so entertaining. This fall (when I have to go into town on major errands), I just joined a gym and so I’m a beginner on the elliptical and can’t workout for as long as I would like to, but I try to make it up on the rebounder when I get home. Of course, since I have had a virus for the last week or so, I haven’t been able to do much of anything at all. Not fun…

• Mary says:

I can only imagine what those squirrels are thinking but that exercise actually sounds fun! The elliptical is what I use in the gym and I too have a set of songs to exercixe to! Glad we’re all trying to stay fit together! That way we’ll all be around a very long time enjoying each others designs! Keep on bouncing!

7. Jenny says:

I’m a walk it only kind of girl these days. No jogging for me, my knees would scream too. I enjoy my walks when I do get out and listen to podcasts on my iPhone. That’s not every day, because I do a “lot” of walking at work. Yes, I know, I’m a receptionist, but we take all our patients down to the rooms and sometimes have to hot foot it back to the phones. I will miss this job when I get to leave. Keep at it Mary, any movement is better than none at all and if wogging walks, then all the better and throw in a bit of sunshine, even better. Oh by the way, no hills around here, flat, flat, flat! Enjoy!

8. Alison Woof says:

What a lovely scenic walk you have Mary! I use RunKeeper too, except we call it RumKeeper, as that’s what my Dad misheard when I first told him about it! It’s quite a joke in my family as I rarely drink, so why on earth he thought I needed a RumKeeper app I don’t know. My walks are not as pretty as yours and there are lots of hills, which my knees don’t like either.