Blog_Header_KimManninoIn September Tony and I traveled to Fresno where our daughter, Angela, attends college.  We were going to celebrate her 20th birthday.  Angela asked for a barbecue tri-tip and garlic bread lunch for her and her college friends.  We arrived about 10:30am and began setting up to cook.  Tony prepared the tri-tip by rubbing on his “secret rub”.  Tony then put the charcoals on and when the fire was ready, placed the tri-tip on the grill.  The aroma began to fill the courtyard of the student housing.  All of a sudden, people began coming out of their apartments to see what was cooking.  The aroma attracted some cute college guys.  Once the meat was done, it was time to prepare the garlic bread.  Starting with a fresh loaf of sweet French bread, I sliced the bread in half and placed on the grill.  In the meantime, I mixed up the magic dip – butter, garlic, and seasonings.  Once the bread was grilled, it was immediately pressed into the garlic butter.  Once pressed, the bread is turned over and served.  Angela’s friends were anxious to try this garlic bread she had talked about so much.  As each person took their first bite, all you heard was “oh my God!” and “mmm!”.  With each new person taking a bite and rejoicing in the flavor, the next person was excited to have their turn at selecting a slice to see what all the exclamations were about.  Every time someone took a bite you heard “oh my God!”  By the time everyone had at least one piece (you can’t just have one), they renamed the garlic bread to Jesus Bread.

Blog_JesusBread

Simple Pleasure Designs – Sweet Life Bundle, Fallin For You Collection, Sweet Life Add On Bundle

Creative Memories:  Nancy ODell recipe Digital Kit

Fonts:  Dollie Script, Iginte The Light, Microsoft Sans Serif

15 Responses to Blog: Garlic Bread (aka Jesus Bread)

1. Yum Kim! You are blessed to have a husband that loves to cook and how fun to team up together to celebrate your daughter’s birthday. You know, once you start something like that it becomes tradition. Either that, or you’ll have a new crowd of visiting college kids at your house next summer!

2. Sandy says:

This reminds me so much of the story of Jesus feeding the crowds with fish and bread. Sounds like you had the right amount to share with the number of people who came out to experience it.

3. Bridget says:

I want some Jesus Bread!! YUM!! Your blog is so good, I was tasting the bread. My stomach is growling for some. LOL!!

4. Penny Deupree says:

I think if you share, that we that have read this and tasted it in our minds, would love to know the spices you use! Sounds great to have for a large group of friends and a bbq dinner!!
    thanks for the wonderful blog… wish it was summer so we could make this!

• Kim says:

Hi Penny,

From our years of making and serving garlic bread at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, Tony has gotten really good at making the yummy bread. For the mix we use: butter, garlic, Johnny’s Garlic Seasoning (I think that is what it is called) and sometimes wine. The seasoning is sold at Costco and has Parmesan cheese mixed in. Start with a fresh load of sweet french bread – slice it in 1/2. Grill the cut side of the bread. When grilled, immediately press the cut side of the bread into the garlic butter, turn over, slice and serve.

5. Jan says:

Either Tony comes next time you come to Tiki, or you come prepared to cook! I am SO HUNGRY now! What a fun day, great blog, and gorgeous page!

6. Linda Ammons says:

What a great story! What is it about food that binds us??? Nothing I ever cooked gave me as much pleasure as when I finally mastered how to make fresh biscuits and everyone was standing around the Island gorging themselves on them. Just found the recipe to the famous “Parker House Rolls.” Here’s hoping I can pull it off again….BTW: I WILL be scraplifting this beautiful page…just as soon as I buy all the kits, Laughing….

• Kim says:

My husband loves to see people enjoying his food – and we love it when he cooks! It is a win/win opportunity! Just mentioning homemade rolls makes my mouth water – and my maiden name is Parker.

7. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

I want some!!! Do you deliver to Florida??

8. Carolyn says:

You know I love this story. It’s got it all! Every blog you write is wonderful because you continue to write from your heart. 🙂

9. adakallen adakallen says:

Makes me wish I had the recipes! Even a sample to taste!