The ability to clone is one of the fun aspects of digital photography. Cloning is a great way to add, duplicate, or remove things from your images. Done well it can be very effective, and it is much easier to do it well than you would think. Watch this video to learn how to become an expert.

Note: If you are using Memory Manager 4.0 software, the same instructions and techniques apply.

Cloning in Historian [10:26 mins]

video

Click to download sample images to practice on:
Download_Button_SA

27 Responses to Historian Video: Cloning

1. Joy says:

Looking forward to working through many of my photos. Wish I had known this trick for albums that are already printed. Of course, don’t we all wish we could go back and fix things with knowledge that we have gained in life! Thanks Shelley for all your training.

2. Jodi Bondy says:

So watching this video has helped with some of the finesse moves needed, I have a photo I am fixing for a client and it contains a pile of fall leaves. The color is horrible and so I have to rebuild a part of the photo and also adjust the color. Is this something that can be done with a clone from another photo (say a more recent fall leaf pile pic) or should I colorize the photo first and then rebuild it with the new image color?

• Shelley says:

It’s hard to say without seeing the photo. Maybe you could use Artisan, and just cut out the good part of the photo and superimpose it on a better background?

3. Thea says:

A few years ago I fixed a picture that had the top of the head cut off. Somehow I “added” to the picture and cloned the “added” portion to the picture so that I could fix the top and have a little extra instead of it being cut off. For the life of me, I can’t remember how I did it! How can I add some extra space around my picture so I can clone it in?
    Thanks,
    Thea

4. Mary Lynne Jones says:

I am very frustrated!!!! I know I saw how to do the lettering the way you have your “Cloning” title here. I’ve word searched and looked through p2p pics on FB to no avail. I cant get it quite right. Can you steer me to the video, I think, or maybe it was just written directions. Thanks,

5. carolyn18 says:

This was awesome!! I could never get a hang of the cloning tool. I just played with your pics then tried one of my own. I was so excited I dragged my husband over to show him the before and after versions of a pic. He was very impressed. Thanks Shelley!!

6. karen heath says:

thank you . I going to start playing now. Have never got the hang of the cloning tool. but the possibilities are endless. My subscription has just paid for itself with this awesome video. thank you once again

7. Kris says:

Great video! This explains so much that I didn’t understand before. Thank you for including practice photos; it’s helpful to be able to practice with the same examples. I’m looking forward to learning about the magnification slider & cloning from a different image.

8. westsea westsea says:

Wonderful! I use the clone tool quite a bit, but never with the finesse that you showed us today. I’ll be referring back to this video often. I can’t tell you the numbers of photos we’ve taken while traveling when we could never get a clear shot of a building due to people in the photo. Thank you!

9. Tara Wells says:

Outstanding video! I do use the cloning tool quite a bit, but have had trouble with objects with straight lines (like the stairs in your one example). I am so excited to try out the lining up trick you indicated. Thanks for yet another fantastic explanation of a powerful tool in our software!

10. Linda DeLaughter says:

Hi Shelley: With the help of your video, I was finally able to understand the relationship between the starting point and where the cloned area was to “wind up”. However, I will look at the video again — I am somewhat confused about the last photo where you removed the man in the photo who would not “leave”. You are much quicker than my eyes could follow. I will need to study how you changed the starting points to make the seamless transition from steps to grass.
    Thanks for any additional input.

• Shelley says:

Watch again Linda – the cool thing is that I didn’t need to change the starting points! It’s the bit most people struggle to get their heads around. If you download that picture and have a play, I’m sure you’ll grasp the concept.

11. Ruth Bell says:

Thanks, Shelley, for this video. I have used cloning a lot, but found it difficult to get lines straight. Now, I know why. I practiced on your photos and they turned out very well. What is the point of the magnification slider? I have never been able to find a use for it.