Blog header My name is Alison and I am a logophile. Don’t be alarmed: it’s not fatal, but it is catching! A logophile is a lover of words. It comes from two Greek roots: logos meaning speech, word, reason, and philos meaning loving, dear.

Ever since I can remember, I have been fascinated by words. I vividly recall the thrill of having “sight words”, written in beautiful, upright teacher-hand, to bring home from kindergarten each night and read aloud to my parents. Books have been my constant obsession. At home we had a spelling list book, with lists from kindergarten level right up to the end of high school, which I devoured and revelled in. When I won a prize at school and received a voucher to spend at the local newsagent’s (we didn’t have a bookshop in our town), I was bitterly disappointed that they didn’t have an etymological dictionary.

My Dad and his dispensary assistant in the pharmacy introduced me to cryptic crosswords – oh the joy of nutting out an answer, making the connection, appreciating the wit! In high school I discovered languages – first German and then French. I went on to study Russian at Uni, and have since dabbled in Latin and Koine Greek (the language of the New Testament). What particularly delighted me about learning other languages was the insight it gave me into the way my own language works – the vocabulary of grammar, the way language is structured, the fact that there are many different ways of expressing the same concept.

I love the texture of language – the rhythms and cadences, the flow of phrases, the quirky and obscure words, and the layers of meaning embedded in them. And I love shaping sentences, crafting them – now there’s an interesting association for a scrap-booker…

craft /kraft/ n. 1. skill; ingenuity; dexterity. 2. an art, trade, or occupation requiring special skill. [ME; OE cræft]  Macquarie Concise Dictionary

There you go. Never let anyone tell you what you do is only craft!

Now I work with words every day, as an editor, proof-reader and writer. Next to our dining room table on the shelf is a dictionary we bought with some wedding present money. Affectionately known as “Tom” (for Tom, Dick ‘n’ Harry – say it quickly), this is pulled out frequently during dinner to check on a meaning, a spelling or look up a word one of us has asked about. It’s a hefty tome, the cover is falling off, but inside, what riches!

You’d think I’d be a prolific journaler in my digi scrapping, but I’m not. In my first 2 years of doing a Day2Day project I set myself the challenge of finding just one word to caption each day’s photo. That was really fun, but I still struggle to journal on my other pages. I take LOTS of photos and so do lots of pages, and it often seems that there’s not that much to say. My life is not all that exciting (except the bit about being magically transformed into a Pixie overnight, and that only happens once!) and I’m not naturally an effusive person, so I really struggle with writing about the ordinary things of life, even the big events.

This is my very round-about way of saying that having to write a blog, let alone develop the journaling on my pages, is a big challenge for me. I’m starting a journey – one I feel will stretch me in all kinds of ways. It might be painful but it could also be fun! Will you come along with me for the ride?

Feb blog AW

No content used. Fonts: Obelix Pro, Aquiline 2, Susie’s hand, Adorable, Veteran Typewriter, FFF Tusj.

37 Responses to Blog: Words & Pictures

1. Bonnie says:

This has to be a favorite blog for me. Well written! I look forward to many more in the future.

2. Justine says:

Love your blog Alison! I know you will be fine with the others as they come along too 🙂

3. What a perfect way to introduce yourself Alison! I feel like I already know you through your pages, but your writing revealed a bit more! So glad you are part of the p2P team (know that I’m a little bit jealous!)

4. Deanna Emmert says:

You are going to be amazingly fun, educational, insightful, knowledgeable, entertaining, and lively to follow. GO ALISON! 🙂

5. Sandy says:

You have just finished something on your checklist: first great Pixie Blog written and shared. I can’t wait to read more.

• Alison says:

Thank you so much Sandy. Yes I’m over the first hurdle, but I have a very long checklist of hurdles stretched out in front of me! I really appreciate your support.

6. sistersunshine says:

Dear Alison, Peace & joy. I shure will give ya a run fer yer money on dat edidding stuf, eryone nos I’s gots serious probems wif spellin. Glad yer her to hep. *U* Kathleen

7. Bridget Clay says:

Alison, you are off to a good start!! Someone mentioned earlier when they saw your name for a page they knew they would see something wonderful well I normally don’t start with the name but look at the picture and when it is an exceptional page, I say must be from Alison, then look up to the name and usually I am right. LOL!! There are a few more people like that in our p2P community I can spot 🙂 …Glad to have you onboard as a pixie. Bravo on your first blog.

8. debbie says:

Love this—you hit a home run right out of the gate! My daughter is definitely a LOGOPHILE. When she was in elementary school, she would “play w/ words!” She grew up and ended getting a degree in Economics and English. She always teases me with her vast vocabulary. I cannot wait to talk to her today and impress her with the new word I just learned!

9. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

Great Blog!! How interesting!! You can feel free to proof read my pages any time!! Welcome to P2P!!

10. Janice says:

Alison, everyone on the p2P team knows I struggle with writing my blog each month. Most people I know tell me I write exactly how I talk – but I’m not sure if that’s a good thing!!!! I have always loved reading, and always have a book with me whenever I go somewhere that I think I may get a few moments to read, however, I haven’t explored language to the depth that you and your family do. Welcome to the p2P world of blogging each month – it’s supposed to get easier each time 🙂

11. Fay Wilde says:

Great Blog!

12. Valma Callahan says:

Looking forward to enjoying your use of words, Alison. Your first blog is so interesting. I’ve always loved your pages – whenever I see your name, I know I’m about to see something wonderful!

13. Anita Albritton says:

Wonderful blog, Alison!! So glad to be on this journey with you, and love to have the chance to get to know you better!! 🙂

14. Tameka says:

Loved your first blog.

15. Sher says:

Alison – I understand what you mean about having to log words about yourself and your daily life. I write two blogs (and have a double degree in English and Journalism) and although I love to read, write and blog, I don’t feel like there is enough interesting stuff about just little old me and my daily trappings to entertain an entire force of blog readers. Of course, I’ve struggled to get much of a readership and you have a huge readership already supplied so your words will get more attention than mine. I always try to remember that I read other people’s mundane goings on and they seem very interesting to me because it’s like peeking thru someone else’s window to see what’s happening. Good luck with your blogging!

16. Carolyn says:

Our family talks about words at dinner too! And often we focus on the differences in the words in different languages. French, German, and Latin are our favorites. (Now that I know this word-loving bit about you, I’m challenging you to flatten the title text on your Sacre Coeur page to cut the Coeur and scoot the o next to the e. I loved that you took the time to add the accent! :-). ). Just write from your heart. You’ll be fabulous. Your first blog entry certainly was!

• Alison says:

Thank you so much Carolyn! Challenge accepted! I was looking for a character to do that but there wasn’t one in that font. Didn’t think of your work around 🙂

17. adakallen adakallen says:

WOW! ‘nuf said!

I loved reading your blog! I love words to a degree. I wish I had prusued it more than I did and I wish I had taught it to my children!

Languages…I wish I had prusued that more when I was younger! Retrospect!

18. Susan Milgate says:

Fabulous writing Alison. Loved it.