Mary's Blog Header New

For those who have seen my office I will now admit I’m a “Craftaholic” although that does include what some would consider fine art.  I lump it all together because in my office everything is kind of lumped together in a room about 12′ x 12′ (3.6m x 3.6m) square. So now the question? Is it clutter or calming? Does it make me stress when I walk into it while feeling the need to clean and organize? Sometimes.  Does it offer me a place to be creative and unwind and escape from day to day life? Mostly.  So I guess it’s both.  It does sometimes get out of control when I have multiple projects scattered and spread across my desk and my sturdy, reliable worktable. That’s when I usually have to back off and straighten a bit before I continue or complete any given project.

More often though this room is my refuge.  Its my calming place where I can create to my hearts content. Where I can leave a mess out if I want and no one will bother it or say anything about it. Where I can choose to have my quiet time and study or my craft time and make lots of stuff! Get ready ’cause here’s a list of what I have supplies for: Painting, pen and ink, sewing, smocking, stamping, card-making, scrapbooking (both digital and traditional and I’m almost totally done with traditional after my baby daughter’s university albums get done),crocheting (no I don’t knit as for some reason I never found the patience for that wonderful task), drawing with colored pencils and I’m an avid reader.  I’m sure there’s more tucked away in the closet I didn’t even open for the pictures! I also saw a word that describes me perfectly…a “Procraftinator” which is what you are called if you create instead of cleaning cooking and other activities!

What I want to know is how many of you do lots of other things besides preserve your memories?  I can’t be the only one who goes broke at Michael’s and Hobby Lobby (or your favorite craft supply place like Kaisercraft in Australia) and  then heads directly over to The Container Store to organize what I bought at the first two stores! I can’t be the only one who likes sparkly beads, ribbons, paint and glitter?

So let me hear from you.  What other things do you do and how do you organize them?  Why don’t you make a page layout and share it on our Facebook fan page and show us all. I’d love to browse over them alongside you to see another side of your life!

Enjoy your life, create and Choose Joy,

Mary

p2P_Blog_2014_03_12_MB

14 Responses to Blog: Crafts…Clutter or Calming?

1. Mary, when you post online, you just never know when it will be referenced! I saved a photo of your wonderful yellow room from your former house with it’s sunny organized classroom disposition. (It’s in my dream room file). But, I’m sure everyone of us here can relate to crafters chaos when we are in the moment of creating! Really, it’s just so much more fun that way. Yes, I’ve had my craft room organized from time to time with all the fun things I love, but those moments are short lived, as much as it’s temporarily eye appealing. In truth, what crafter lives in that perfect world for very long!

2. Cynthia says:

My craft room was so labeled when we built the house in 1998. Unfortunately, it is one room that never got done. Consequently I still have the closet doors and carpet squares in two corners and not carpet in the closet and doors on it. I have all my traditional scrapbooking stuff both CM and other brands including a cricut and cartridges, I was a consultant so traditional stuff that needs to go. Yarn for knitting and crocheting (and hooks and needles), cross stitch supplies, 2 sewing machines, fabric and batting for quilting and associated notions, painting both acrylic and water color, wrapping papers, ribbons, craft supplies for my two girls. Books I insist on keeping and others I need to get around to reading. Periodically I clean out an area and try to get rid of stuff, most of it ends up in the bins for the kids to craft with. I do love craft stores and am always buying supplies for someday. I like the way you have organized some of your tools, maybe I need to head to the container store!

3. LindaIOSMe says:

Mary, Lucky you for having a craft room! My sewing machine is in the guest room, with some of the fabric. The rest of the fabric, yarn, cross stitch & needlework floss, assorted kits that have never been started are down in the basement. With all the rest of the beads, sea glass, sea shells, candle stubs, wooden bits, paints, paper, memorabilia, a half ton of stamps and punches and fancy scissors and all the other card making and scrapbooking (traditional stuff). The laptop (with additional square monitor) is on the dining room table, along with the cutting mat for quilting. It’s really just my exercise program. No matter what I’m doing, I’ll have to go upstairs or down for something else! Your room is at least colorful and organized, a state I can only dream of!

4. Glenna says:

You are very organized. I have a craft room that used to be our formal living room and dining room. In there I do scrapbooking and have supplies for scrapbooking (finishing up my traditional) but mostly do digital now. I also have a sewing machine and a serger as I quilt. Being that I was a CM consultant I still have albums, pages etc to get rid of. I still have in the dining room part a china cabinet and several pieces of furniture that some of my organized stuff is sitting on. I have two desks and 3 6 foot tables for laying out quilts and doing craft projects for our craft shows. I am certainly not as organized as you are, but I could be if I would take the time and get rid of things that I no longer use. We have a rule in our house, if we haven’t used something in two years, then we don’t need it and either donate it or put it in a garage sale. I also have a large room in our basement that is finished where I used to doing my sewing and scrapbooking. I am in the process of going through that a cleaning it up and weeding things out. Mary you can always come to my house and help organize me as you are such an organized person. Thanks for the inspiration.

5. Deanna Emmert says:

Well, let’s see…in house around 1400 square feet with no garage, and very little closet space, things around here are pretty cramped and spread all over the house. There is the “mess room” that has the sewing machine and cabinet space for the dwindling supply of traditional scrapbooking materials, although I still keep CM cutting tools/supplies for anything fun that might come up. But it also has a huge bookshelf, cleaning stuff, my flameless candle collection, my dad’s photo collection that I inherited and must figure out what to do with, and a lot of my daughter’s yarn collection because she knits and has no space in her bedroom. There is my corner of the couch in the living room where I am currently typing this and where I keep my camera bag handy and where there is a bookshelf for my current reading and future reading material. There is the filing cabinet that still holds a lot of fun teaching materials I just can’t seem to part with just yet. The houseplants are in the dining room. There is the filing cabinet where I keep most of my fun stuff from my teaching days that I just can’t part with yet. Yeah, stuff is pretty much spread throughout the house. Hopefully one of these days soon we will be buying our own home and then maybe a few changes, perhaps??? 🙂

6. Even with SO much stuff, it looks so organized! I’m impressed 🙂

7. Janis says:

How funny! On a recent visit to my son, I shopped at Hobby Lobby for crafting supplies–and then the Container Store for organizational stuff!

8. junegauntley says:

Mary! I see no clutter at all in your photos — just wonderful containers and hangars full of amazing possibilities for creativity…what possibilities!!! Love your page!

9. Linda DeLaughter says:

I love your organized chaos, Mary! Since you saw my “refuge craft room” at our other house, you can relate to my disorganization. I have several Rubbermaid gray 4-drawer “cabinets” where I house my Technique Tuesday templates, wrapping paper/ribbons, scrap fabric, Quickutz, Cricut, Sizzix and Slice stuff, etc. I think I own a little of every type of traditional scrapbooking cutters.

I, too, have gone mostly digital, but MUST complete some major traditional paper books, including the one about Katrina’s wrath from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi to Louisiana. (Yeah, I know this is a long time ago.) However, I have photos that one day may be worth seeing – a lot of before and after shots.

My new craft room at the new house will be bigger and more organized, and I can’t wait to spend quality time getting to know my “things” again!

10. Carolyn says:

:-). I’d love to sit with you in your room and make stuff!