SA_Blog_Apr14
“I’m Not a Procrastinator… I’m just extremely productive at doing unimportant things.”

1277

I would like to give a credit for this quote and the image, but I don’t know where they originated. Not that that stopped me spending 30 minutes looking for this quote on the internet instead of getting my blog written!

In preparing for our big overseas move, I have a number of really important tasks that need doing fairly urgently. I have a whole house to pack up, reams of paperwork to do, pixels2Pages work to get under my belt in case I don’t have access to the internet for a while … the list goes on.

So you’ll be pleased to hear that this afternoon, true to form, I did none of those important things. But I did spend some very productive time deciding which DVDs we should take with us, and putting them into the nifty travelling DVD case I got for my birthday last week.

To be fair I did gets lots of DVDs for my birthday too. Everyone knew I didn’t need more “things”, since we are travelling, so I got DVDs from all the family – they’re compact, they travel well and provide hours of enjoyment. Add to that a “buy 2 get 1 free” sale at the local DVD store, and you’ll get a picture of the pile I got. We figure there will be more movie watching time once we’re settled in Doha, at least until we get to know people, so we planned to take some old favourites as well as some TV series we somehow missed. As I pondered what to pack, I thought about the way a person’s favourite movies reflect their personalities. So, for what its worth, here’s my list so far (in alphabetical order) . The list is by no means a complete catalogue of all my absolute favourites, as it only includes movies I actually own on DVD or Blu Ray. And it doesn’t include any my sons won’t allow me to take, such as Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and almost any Pixar movie ever released. I still have lots of spaces in my DVD holder – I’d love to hear your suggestions of movies or TV shows you would take with you on a long journey. How many of these movies are on your top 100 list? What are the ‘must-sees’ that I have left off the list?

• Anne of Green Gables (including the sequels)
  • Bride and Prejudice (Jane Austen meets Bollywood)
  • Bridget Jones’s Diary (only the first one)
  • Casanova (with Heath Ledger)
  • Chariots of Fire (one of my all time favourites)
  • Chicago
  • Cirque du Soleil Worlds Away
  • Crackerjack (a somewhat obscure Aussie classic)
  • Doc Martin
  • Downton Abbey (series 1 and 2 – I might have to get the rest)
  • Forget Paris
  • Four Weddings and a Funeral
  • Foyle’s War (6 complete series)
  • Gatsby (the new one)
  • Gone with the Wind (I’ve seen this dozens of times but I still cry every time)
  • Hairspray
  • Hugo
  • Jane Eyre (the latest version, though I have several others)
  • Les Miserables (Hugh Jackman – sigh)
  • Life of Pi
  • Little Voice
  • Love Actually (I have to watch this at least once a year)
  • Mamma Mia
  • Michael McIntyre Live
  • Midnight in Paris
  • Miss Potter
  • Offspring (I’m the only person in Australia who didn’t watch Offspring)
  • Pride & Prejudice (the Colin Firth version)
  • Raising Hope (series 1 & 2)
  • Saving Grace (I love Brenda Blethyn)
  • Schindler’s List (distressing & uplifting at the same time)
  • Secrets & Lies (I love Brenda Blethyn)
  • Shawshank Redemption
  • The Banger Sisters
  • The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
  • The Help
  • The Princess Bride (even though I almost know it by heart)
  • The Sapphires
  • Wild at Heart (the entire series – now that I’ve been to Africa I want to watch it again)

Content used in header and featured image – Little Feet Digital Designs “Exposed”, CottageArts “Faded Memories Element Scrap Frame Pak”, both available at Panstoria. pixels2Pages is proud to be an affiliate for the Panstoria store (which sells the software and digital content) Some of the designers featured at the Panstoria store (Little Feet Designs by Janet Carr, Cottage Arts, and Kaisercraft) have provided pixels2Pages with content so that we can prepare sample pages for you. We provide affiliate links for you to click through prior to purchasing content or software (please click them each time you purchase!).  It doesn’t cost you extra, and commissions and sample products that we receive help us enhance p2P offerings.

27 Responses to Blog: What I Watch

1. Gloria says:

My current favs are War Horse, Freedom Writers, The Help and The Butler.

2. KatieK. says:

An interesting movie we saw over weekend – The Prestige – intrigue, some romance, and drama. It is my niece’s favorite movie and since it was her birthday, we watched it and had quite the discussion about it over ice cream. Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, Rosemary Hall. Directed by Christopher Nolan. #53/250 on IMDB’s top 250 list. Based on your list and actors/actresses – I think you will like it. Plus it’s a movie you will want to watch more than once! Perfect for your new adventure. TV shows – Dr. Who, Orphan Black, Vikings, The Amercains, Justified – but not sure which are available on DVD. I view these on Amazon, FX(iPad app), and History Channel app.

3. cmsher says:

The Sound of Music, Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson version – I completely LOVE this and almost know it by heart), The Quiet Man, It’s a Wonderful Life, Love Actually, Me Myself I, Harry Potter (I agree w/ you and LOVE the Princess Bride) and I second someone above who mentioned Call the Midwife – awesome series! Enjoy your movie watching when you are in your new place. And it sounds like a much more fun thing to pack the DVDs than maybe doing the other things on your list… : )

4. shirley shingara says:

I’d attend a movie marathon with you as well as all the other posters! Each movie on your list was met with nods of affirmation for the excellent choice and “oh yeah that was a great movie” when another was brought to mind! August Rush is another favorite to add to the list. Most definately get Call The Midwife–it fits so well with your others!

• Shelley says:

I remember seeing the adverts on TV for Call the Midwife, and wondering why I wasn’t watching it – I think I definitely need to get hold of that one!

5. adakallen adakallen says:

After that lead-in sentence I knew I didn’t need to read more (but I did). I am right there with you.

I have a ton of church data to process (with a deadline) what did I do I just spent 4 hours doing nothing with my sister.

Sometimes, Shelley, I wonder if we are twins! I can’t think of a better person to be my twin than you!

Ada

6. Glenna says:

My all time favorite at Christmas time is White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. For TV Series, I’d want to take NCIS (love Mark Harmon). Also, for Christmas how about It’s A Wonderful Life too. I’d still sneek in the Harry Potter series, I watch that as often as I can.

7. Linda H says:

Definitely need to include the “Thomas Crown Affair”! Good luck in all your decisions!

8. Diane says:

I love Monarch of the Glen!

9. Ruth Bell says:

Yes, you must get the rest of Downton Abbey.

10. Carolyn says:

How do you have time for all this? I don’t see Sci Fi or much political thriller material here so I’m probably not going to be much help. 🙁 I think the only thing I see on your list that I’d want to see twice is Princess Bride, which I almost know by heart too! And Schindler’s list? I have never been able to watch it all. I try, but it’s just too much for me. What a great list though! I hope you receive a lot of fun additions. 🙂

• Shelley says:

Actually I watch a lot of SciFi, but my kids wouldn’t let me take any of those movies away with me! A Trekkie from way back! 🙂 I enjoy a good thriller but you can only watch those once.

11. Wendy Bainbridge says:

Oh my gosh. I have been a P2P member for less than a week and already learned so much more about creating amazing pages, and today I read your blog, Shelley, and discover a woman who loves movies as much as I do. My library system here in B.C., Canada, has thousands of DVDs and along with film festivals, I’ve viewed some amazingly good and a few bad films.
    To add to your list:
    English Patient
    Under the Tuscan Sun
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Broken Circle Breakdown (Belgian)
    Fugitive Pieces (Canadian)
    Call the Midwife (British TV series)
    Renoir (just released)
    Silver lining Playbook
    Wonderful World of Albert Khan
    Mr Selfridge (British TV series)
    Jolene
    Out of Africa
    Secrets and Lies (Brenda Blethyn) Hard to find, but amazing
    Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
    King’s Speech
    The Hunt (Danish)
    Hope others will continue to add to your list

• Shelley says:

Oh some excellent suggestions there Wendy! A few I’ve not heard of, and some that are in my collection – I’d better add them to the list. I actually have Secrets and Lies – Brenda Blethyn is my all time favourite actress!

12. Viv says:

Oh you have to get the series of ‘The House of Elliott’ But I do love your choices

13. Janeen Janeen says:

i have always been moved by the Kite Runner. I have watched it several times. For comedy we like The Night Shift with Henry Winkler. The ONE movie my DH will watch over and over.

I completely understand your description of procrastination. 🙂 Blessings to you in your move and preparation for it.

14. Liz Propst says: