Mary's Blog Header New

So what’s in your house? What kind of collections to be specific.  My husband and I have a few.  He’s collected elephants since high school, long before I knew him.  He also collects specific authors’ books and specific Sports Illustrated covers. We collect Santas together. I used to collect “Cat’s Meow” historical pieces, but downsizing my home stopped that one. I choose to call all my craft supplies a “collection”. Sounds much better than other things I can think of. My favorite collection is of “Mice” (not real ones thank goodness). I started collecting mice in middle school.  I had lots of little inexpensive figurines when I met my husband and we married.  My favorite mice figurines however are called “Wee Forest Folk”. I had never heard of these until the evening I married my sweetheart.  Unbeknownst to me his mom had  put a small “Wee Forest Folk” Bride and Groom on our wedding cake and we found it when we went to cut the cake.  I have collected them ever since.  I have baby ones to represent my children, all sorts that represent motherhood and a mouse Nativity to remind me of my blessings.  I have beach mice to remind me of my favorite vacation destination…the beach.  My favorite one however is one I found last year and we purchased it for our 30th wedding anniversary. It’s an elephant and a mouse.  So appropriate for an anniversary gift since our first one came on our wedding day. Do you collect anything? How did you get started? Have you made a page about it and journaled about it?  Make a page of your favorite things and share with us on our Facebook page! Happy collecting!  Mary

p2P_Blog_2014_04_09_MB (600x600)

Be Jolly Addition Kit – Little Feet Designs Janet Carr

Font: Kingsthings Serifique Ultralight

Tagged with →

15 Responses to Blog: What’s in Your House?

1. Linda DeLaughter says:

Mary, I laughed when I read this — I also collected a group of historical buildings by Cat’s Meow! But I have also downsized out of that obsession. It seems that I still have a large “collection” of unused, unique, eclectic frames. I simply MUST put photos in them after our new home is complete.

I still collect little German wooden “angels” by Wendt & Kuhn, etc. My grandmother gave me several when I was a child. I still have them, along with all of my doll house furniture from Germany. I will finally finish building that doll house for my new granddaughter once we’re moved in as well. That way, I can display all of the beautiful furniture that is now over 55 years old.

I have been without a computer since I have been in Virginia Beach (almost a month now) with our daughter and hubby and new granddaughter, so I can’t wait to get back home to “catch up” on all that I have missed with my wonderful P2P pixies! I will head for home next week.

• Mary says:

HI Linda. Can’t wait to see layouts with that new grandbaby. My husband installed 1/2″ molding in the laundry room where a wall paper border would go and we glued all my Cats Meow pieces up there. Just enough to go around but no room for more which is a good thing! Happy Easter to you and safe travels home.

2. Jan says:

Oh, collections….I have collected postcards since I was a child. I don’t have them in any kind of order now, but I still buy postcards almost everywhere I go! I collect recipes (easier now with so many good ones online!) but I have to say that what I love most is Rex’s owl collection. He went to Rice University, whose mascot is an owl, so he’s been collecting them for almost 40 years now. Most of them are at his office (ran out of room at the house!) and I always have something to get him for holidays and birthdays. Isn’t it fun that most of us have something we love?

• Mary says:

It has been so interesting to hear and talk about what people collect. Kind of brings a sense of stability (in our somewhat hectic lives) that some things are with us and we can slow down every now and then and enjoy them and the adventure of the hunt!

3. Barbara Mitchell says:

I used to collect candles. Not the plain ones, but the decorative ones where they were layered with different colors, and then the was was shaved and curled back to make beautiful designs of the colors hidden beneath. When I got tired of dusting them over the years, I finally gave up that collection!

My mother was a collector of Novelty Salt & Pepper shakers. When she passed away in 2006, she had over 20,000 pair. My father had built a building to house all of them with hand made cases that had full size sliding glass doors. In fact the “pole building” had air conditioning before my parents house did! One special pair of S&P’s were one of a kind, designed by an S&P designer whose name was Betty Harrington. They were mice made specifically for my mom and dad. While we sold most of the collection at private auction, the mice remain in our family.

• Mary says:

20,000! Wowee! Must have been quite interesting going thru them all!

• Barbara Mitchell says:

Yes, it was! Fortunately, the private auction was for the entire collection (minus what my sisters and I kept), and the winning bidder had to not only provide transportation for moving them, but also the tedious task of wrapping and packing them all.

4. lbisset says:

My dad started a Unicorn collection for me after I gave him a book of poetry…and one of the poems in it related to Unicorns. This was way before they were popular and when they became commonplace, I stopped collecting. It would be a good memorial to him to do a page showing the start of a collection..Thanks for the reminder.

5. Penny says:

I love all those little mice figures but especially the one with the elephant and the one at the beach. What a great expression on the beach mouse! Can just imagine soaking up the sun with her …

6. Carolyn says:

So cute, these little mice! We just collect dust at my house. 🙂 And we’re experts! Ha!

7. sistersunshine says:

Wow… Does Star Trek Memorabilia count…we have a room in our basement called the Star Trek room… but the collection out grew it… then we needed to be real, and packed it up… it might be fun to get it out and share it with the grandies… thanks for the nudge. *U* Kathleen

8. Pat Anderon says:

I am making a book about “My Special Things” , including furniture, photos, glassware, jewelry, heirloom items, etc. It has been a lot of fun, and my family will know where things came from & why they are special.

9. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

How cute are those little mice!!! Adorable!!