140412_Blog_Well_Supplied_PMP_Header

There are certain things that I find hard to resist. For instance, chocolate. Or kittens (in real life or on the internet). Many of you would agree with me on those, right? But how about OFFICE SUPPLIES? Can you resist those? I simply cannot. And I have been like that as long as I can remember.

When I was little, my dad had his own private stash of all kinds of special pens, pencils, scissors, rulers, staplers, tape dispensers and such. Touching any of Dad’s office supplies was OFF LIMITS with all caps.  So naturally, I coveted them. Especially the scissors. My blunt-nosed elementary school “safety scissors” paled by comparison. I still remember doing art projects with Dad’s scissors when he was away at work. Of course, he always figured out that I had used them!

My college boyfriend’s father had his own stash of office supplies, too – but his stash was in an actual brick-and-mortar office supply store.  When we visited my boyfriend’s family, his dad would sometimes let me roam the store aisles and select supplies that we needed for our college courses. Oh, nirvana! All sorts of items made their way into my shopping basket – cute little boxes of staples, clips of all sizes, highlighters in a rainbow of colors, the list goes on.

Back at school, I was lucky that the college bookstore was located in my dorm! Woohoo! Not only could I run down in my slippers to pick up a bag of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies, I could restock my supply of colored inks for the fountain pens that I used to recopy my notes for my chemistry classes. Somehow chemistry formulas are easier to remember if they are lovingly detailed with turquoise ink.

Since college, my collection of office supplies has grown year by year. I cannot resist writing implements, pads, notebooks, notebook dividers, sheet protectors, paper, desk tools, binding machines, embossing devices — just about anything in the office supply aisle of any store. I have pens of all types: ballpoint, fountain, calligraphy, sharpie, gel.  I have implements to write on paper, cardboard, marker border, chalk boards, sidewalks, windows, mirrors, ceramic pots, and of course, scrapbook pages. I even have things to write on DIGITAL scrapbook pages – fonts! My collection of fonts is growing year by year as well. And it has the virtue of not taking up space in my closet. Between my “in real life” office supplies and my “virtual” office supplies, I am definitely WELL SUPPLIED.

So now that I have shared some things that I cannot resist – how about you? What can’t YOU resist? Share your thoughts below, or even better, make a scrapbook page and post it on our Facebook page. I can’t wait to read your stories!

P.S. If you would like to add to YOUR collection of  Virtual Office Supplies, take a look at these posts about some of our Favorite Fonts 1, Favorite Fonts 2, and Favorite Fonts 3.

2014-04_Well_Supplied_DPS

Pixels2Pages Blueprint: Riverside (tweaked) #p2PRiversideBP

Digital Content at Panstoria:  Blanc De Noir Paper Pak 5 (Cottage Arts), School Days (Panstoria), Enchanted Tropical Vacation (Creative Memories)

Fonts:  Alex Brush, Amaranth, Anchor Jack, Impact Label Reversed

We invite you to purchase digital content from the Panstoria store via our affiliate link. It doesn’t cost you extra, and commissions and sample products that we receive help us enhance p2P offerings. (Note: For p2P to receive credit, please click through our affiliate link each time you purchase.)

Tagged with →

25 Responses to Blog: Well Supplied

1. Kristin Sladek says:

I love the commentary and the walk down memory lane… and the pages! Gorgeous, of course. Question: When you make these blog posts and pages, do you then eventually compile them into an album or do they go into the family album or what do you do with them? I am thinking of doing this sort of thing so that I can have an excuse to write more and work on my regular blog but also incorporate scrapbooking. Thanks. 🙂

• Penny says:

Kristin, I use the pages from the blog posts in my family album. Over the years, my family album has become less “events in chronological order” and more “whatever I feel like writing about or taking pictures of”. Later on, I bet that I enjoy my blog pages more than I do the pages of, say, the 4th of July party in 2002 (no offense to any family or friends who may have invited me to a 4th of July party that year – eek!). I think that’s because the blog posts give me the freedom to explore topics that that are important to me and that I think might resonate with others as well. Know what I mean? Don’t tell anyone one, but I secretly enjoy writing the blog posts and making the pages to go with them! I have a list of topics I am mulling over, and I gather my thoughts and photos (and take new photos) on various topics until the muse strikes and it’s time to tell the story and make the page. Writing, blogging, and scrapbooking go really well together!

2. Janeen Janeen says:

oh my, are we really all alike??? i found your blog post so interesting and i could feel being in the store. i miss those old office supply stores. it’s just not the same going to Staples or Office Max. I love my fountain pens too! i haven’t found any turquoise ink. Thanks for the jog about doing a page on mine and hubbies fountain pens. We didn’t know we both loved them until well into our marriage and once in OK we went to a fountain pen show. SWOON!!

3. Jan says:

I suspect most of us ‘crafty types’ have a love of office supplies and tools! This post reminded me most of my treasured cartridge pen and the peacock blue ink I favored in 4th and 5th grades. You took me right back to my desk in Mrs. Crutchfield’s room, next to the 10′ tall windows. Perfect for daydreaming and doodling…

PS I’m with Sandy…there is something irresistible about a new box of crayons!

4. Sue P says:

My grandmother used to use a fountain pen with turquoise ink & I do, too. I recently found a ballpoint with turquoise ink so that’s my new fave.

5. Sue P says:

Fountain pen with turquoise ink! Yes! My grandmother used to use that so I love it, too.

6. Anita Albritton says:

Love your blog, and I too can relate with the joy of wandering through office supply stores! I wanted to say, more specifically, that I LOVE your dps about this, and all of your photos are wonderful!! 🙂

7. Sandy says:

I am right there with you on this obsession. Back to school season is one of the most glorious times to shop and my girls are both college graduates and out of the house. The one thing you didn’t mention that I can’t resist is a new box of crayons. There is something about opening a new box and seeing them sitting there, all perfectly sharpened and ready to be uses. Event the smell sends me over the top. Now that Staples has the postal service in the stores I usually drop my things off there instead of the post office. Just one more opportunity to walk through the aisles, even if I don’t really need anything.

8. Kay says:

Ditto to all of it!!! Love it. Thanks.

9. adakallen adakallen says:

A Lady after my own heart! Just give me, or sell me office supplies!

10. Mikki says:

Just wondering if the Pixies have any new favorite fonts since the last list about a year ago. I love fonts, too! I probably have more than enough, but sometimes, I just can’t find the right one, I go browsing and end up downloading 5 or 6. I have a new grandson, and I would love to find just the right one for journaling a little boy’s book.

• Penny says:

Our favorite font lists are not on a specific schedule, so a new list might show up at any time. Stay tuned! (Personally I have a hard time resisting any of them!)

11. Michele Furry says:

I am a ‘font freak’ too, but have trouble with managing so many on my computer. Do you have a font management program that you use by chance? I’ve been thinking about getting one but have no idea how to choose one.

12. Deanna Emmert says:

If you were to walk through my small home (rented with less than 1500 square feet with no garage) you would probably determine that I definitely have a cookbook/recipe collection, a collection of kids books (former teacher), a collection of flameless candles, a mini-library of books in all sorts of different places. You may also cast a wondering eye at the rather eclectic collection of music cds that occupy a floor lamp (designed for that purpose). Oh, and I won’t go into the mini collection of kitchen appliances/tools, the slowly growing photography collection (between my hubby and me), the digital scrapbooking font binders, and so on and so on… Yup! 🙂

13. Viv says:

Oh I think I fall in the same category! I had to down size two years ago, but have slowly got my office supplies back up there. I also like all my office folders matching and each years documents filed with matching coloured titled pages. I work from home for a business and I am very fortunate to have a rather large office. I have three daughters who are all the same! We could spend hours in a stationery store.

• Penny says:

I downsized also recently but even after that I still have more office supplies than I have room for. That does not seem to have stopped me from acquiring more though. 🙂

14. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

Oh Penny!! Can I relate!!! I have the same obsession!!! But sadly had to downsize it when we sold the house and hit the road! Still love to look at all the office supply stuff in any store!!

15. Carolyn says:

I love this! My family’s like this too. One year, my sister’s Christmas list included “pretty post-it notes.” 🙂

16. debbie says:

Thought provoking blog. I have more digital (and traditional) scrapbooking supplies than I could ever use all of it! I realize this but still cannot resist the urge to look (and buy) new designs from my favorite stores. I may have to do a similar page on this– looks fun