JF_Blog Header

We are nearly out the door!

Ten days left in this house and in less than three weeks we will be arriving in the US to begin 8 weeks of training before joining The Africa Mercy in the Canary Islands in early August.

As you can imagine, so much has been happening in our household over this last month!

Furniture and household goods have been sold and given away, bags have been packed, boxes have been packed, important forms have been filled out and lots (and lots) of travel vaccinations have been performed.  The girls, particularly Charlotte, ask each time “Are we done now?”  Through it all I have been maintaining my sanity by heading out for my daily walk or run and on one such walk I got thinking about how beautiful it is to live where we live and that, of course, led to me thinking about all the things I will miss when we move away.

It’s funny how having a leaving date makes you more aware of the beauty that surrounds you.  It has made me more appreciative of the here and now and all that I will miss once we are gone.

I started with the trails that I walk on, which are no more than two minutes from home and hug a stunning, rugged coastline.  It was on one of these tracks that I looked out over the ocean and began to mentally put together the following list (for this blog of course!) which includes a few of those things that I think I will miss, in no particular order  …

• running in wide open spaces
  • beautiful coastline
  • seasons
  • Tathra Beach
  • a stroll to the wharf for a great cup of coffee
  • live music
  • our house on the cliff with the amazing view
  • the Australian bush
  • colours of nature
  • whales

As I said, they are in no particular order and I’m sure I have only begun to scratch the surface.  You will probably note that there is no mention of the people that I will miss.  They were my first thoughts, when thinking of leaving, and as I was wiping tears from my eyes and trying to prevent myself from turning into a blubbering mess (oops, too late for that!) and causing myself an injury because I could no longer see the track, I quickly moved on to the above list!!

However, it’s rarely about the things or the places … I can live without all of the above and I am sure that there are going to be amazing new experiences that will fill those “gaps”.

For me, it is always about people!  I will miss the people that I have grown to love in this fabulous place that we live in, and the family still here in Australia and since my eyes are filling with tears again (making it a little difficult to type) I’m off to tick another task off my list!

p2P_Blog_Missing_JF

9 Responses to Blog: Missing you already

1. Kerrianne says:

We are ‘never’ too far away 🙂

2. Anita Albritton says:

Justine, I am sending you hugs, prayers and thoughts of all wonderful things! Safe travels!! 🙂

3. Carolyn says:

Oh, Juzzi, how I identify with what you’re going through. Our last move was excruciating for me. I left so many deep friendships and a place I love where I thought I’d live forever. Of course, Facebook softens the blow to be sure, but it’s not the same as face-to-face contact with friends you love. On the worst days, I would start AND end a blubbery mess! But on the good days, and they are still increasing, I remember that God brought us here for a great reason and that I’d really rather not be anywhere other than where He wants me. The quicker you can get to that place each time you reminisce, the quicker your blubbery mess is about His goodness and care for you and not about the loss you’re feeling. (Note that the blubbery messes are inevitable. 🙂 ) I wish I’d taken more pictures of landscape before I left. At least you’ve got that going for you! You have tons of great photos of the home and area you have grown to love. I’m so excited for this next phase of your life but I personally know the pain of it too. Going with God is always best but it isn’t always easy. Loving you and praying for you every time I hear the ding that tells me you’ve completed your workout. 🙂

• Justine says:

Yes Carolyn, the peace that transcends all understanding is the only reason that we can do this and having people like you to share the “what to expects and this is normal” insights is priceless. Thanks 🙂

4. shirley shingara says:

What a beautiful way to process the changes you are experiencing. I am so excited for you and as a resident of this planet, grateful for the spirit that guides you to answer this call.

5. Lori Morris says:

Hi Justine
    Where are you moving to? Are you coming to the US?
    Sounds like you are about to embark on a new chapter in your life. Good Luck.

6. Linda DeLaughter says:

Dear Juzzie: I can feel your emotion. I also fell in love with the Land Down Under after spending only 4 weeks there. Having experienced the vivid colors of the Outback, the amazing architecture of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, and the amazing sea life at the Great Barrier Reef, I can totally agree that leaving the Land of Oz will be the hardest thing you will ever do. I pray that you and your family have safe travels, but we will be the lucky ones to have you here — even for a short time.