Feb14_Blog_Header_SAThe months of planning are over. I have done as much sorting, packing, discarding and organisation as I can possibly do. I’ve said my goodbyes (well, most of them!) and I am almost ready to go! In two days time I will be boarding a plane with my husband Keith heading for Doha, Qatar to begin a new phase of our lives. If you haven’t caught up with our news, Keith has been asked to work in Doha on some projects leading up to the 2022 Football World Cup, and we decided it was time for a new adventure.

I am really excited about the possibilities, and looking forward to getting under way. These last few months I have felt a bit like a nomad, not knowing if we were definitely going, and then not knowing when we were going. I am looking forward to the future in so many ways, and yet, of course, as the departure date looms, I’m starting to think about what I will miss. First on that list, it goes without saying, is family and friends. I expect I am underestimating how difficult I will find being on the opposite side of the world to almost everyone I hold dear, and probably overestimating the value of Skype and Facebook and email to keep us close. Lately I have been thinking more about the place I will miss, as opposed to the people – things that make a place home, but also the things I am looking forward to about our new place.

What I will miss (in no particular order):

• Familiarity
  • Knowing where the best shops and cafés are
  • Knowing which streets to avoid at peak hour
  • Having a history here
  • My hairdresser
  • Green – lush, profuse and all year round
  • Sydney Harbour
  • My own bed
  • Not having to consult a map every time I go out
  • Speaking the local language
  • My car, and being comfortable driving
  • My church
  • Winter
  • Rain
  • Live Footy (Aussie Rules style)
  • Gum trees
  • Eating outside on summer evenings

What I am looking forward to

• New experiences
  • Learning about a different culture
  • Living simply without clutter
  • Being closer to the rest of the world
  • Travel opportunities
  • Being part of an ex-pat community
  • New friends
  • New photo ops
  • Learning a new language (at least a bit!)
  • Blogging
  • Visitors from home coming to stay
  • Getting to know a new church
  • Real desert
  • Shopping
  • Air-conditioning
  • Getting out of my comfort zone
  • Being able to do p2P work full time
  • Apartment living
  • Middle Eastern food
  • Amazing architecture

There will be many changes in my immediate future, that much is certain. Many that I am looking forward to, some that I approach with trepidation, and I expect even more that I cannot anticipate and am totally unprepared for! But that is what makes this an exciting adventure!!

The one constant through all these changes will be pixels2Pages. As a team, we have always operated in two continents and 4 or 5 time zones. With Juzzi moving to West Africa and me in the Middle East, add in two more continents and two more time zones to the mix! And I know we have members in even more countries. But we are nothing if not resourceful, and we will make it work. I feel very fortunate to have a job that I can do wherever I am, and fit in with my lifestyle. All I need is my laptop, and an internet connection, and I have an office (even if that means sitting in a café using WiFi – I’m willing to make that sacrifice!). And one thing is for certain, I will not run out of photographic opportunities to fill my  scrapbooks!! But more importantly, I will have the constant of our wonderful pixels2Pages community. I am absolutely confident that of all the challenges facing me in Doha, loneliness is not one of them, because right here in p2P-land I have so many friends. I truly treasure the community that we have built together. You share your lives and loves, your babies and children, your achievements, your happy moments, your home and your travels, your vision of the world. It is knowing that I will have that continuity of connection that, in a large part, gives me the courage to leave everything I know and tackle this experience with confidence and enthusiasm. So thank you and keep it up! Keep posting your pages to our Facebook page, commenting on our website, participating in our crops, sharing your lives with a bunch of strangers-turned-friends all over the world. I’ll “see” you in Doha!!

Doha Sydney

Content used in these pages:
Dotted Grid Blueprint (part of the June 2014 Blueprint Collection)
Papers from the Uplifting Frames Digital Kit by Little Feet Digital Designs, available from Panstoria
Fonts: Bosshole, VNI-HL Thuphap

32 Responses to Blog: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

1. I can’t wait to read all about your exciting new life and seeing the beautiful pages of the new place you will call home and all that the country has to offer!

2. Janice says:

Loving your lists – and how what you’ll miss will turn into opportunity to discover new things. Wishing you and Keith every happiness in this new phase of your lives!

3. Shelley, I look forward to following your new adventures through your photos and blogs. I pray for sweet peace and trust as you get settled, knowing that God has opened the doors and directed your steps. What an amazing opportunity you get to experience, and what fun we will have living vicariously through you!

4. Anita Albritton says:

I am so excited for you and Keith as you head out for your new adventures!! Safe travels!! I can’t wait to hear all about it, and to see your photos!!

5. Bobbie says:

Best wishes Shelley! I look forward to seeing your pages and stories about your adventures!

6. Carolyn says:

I remember a conversation that we had one time about how different our lives had been in that you had had a home base in Sydney for so, so long, and how I had moved several times. I know you will have a grand adventure and be so successful, but the homesickness is bound to hit at some point. When that happens, I have a suggestion, even though you didn’t ask. DON’T call home or try to reconnect at that point. It will just make you sadder. Instead, purposely embrace your new home and do something in that moment that will anchor you there. When you get back from doing whatever it is you choose, THEN call home and tell someone how much you learned about or loved your new home and it’ll make you happier about both old and new. And please, please, stay out of the way of the deadly five terrorist leaders we just let go.

• Shelley says:

True Carolyn. I think you said you had worked out the travel bug, whereas for me it is just getting stronger! I hope there won’t be too many occasions where I will need to follow your advice here, but I will surely keep that in mind when it happens. Thank you. (Definitely planning to avoid those guys!!!)

7. Fay Wilde says:

Good luck in your new great adventures. Looking forward to your splendid photos and pages

8. Ruth Bell says:

Have fun in your new adventure. You will enjoy the ex-pat community and hopefully your new church will be a fit for you. You won’t have the choice that you do in some places. But you will make friends that will last a lifetime. Hope you don’t have too many of us peeps dropping in on you!

9. Kaye Rhodes says:

God speed, Shelley! What an exciting adventure lies ahead and we’ll all be right there with you!

10. Deanna Emmert says:

Safe travels, Shelley! I, too, love the p2P Community! It has gotten me through many a hard time, dull days, and deepened my passion for taking good photos and journaling about them…even if it’s another humdrum day at home. It will be interesting seeing Doha through your eyes and photos.

11. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

I find it all so exciting!!

12. Marianne Syslo says:

Good luck with your new adventure. More than 35 years ago I moved from Africa to the USA when I married my husband who I met in Johannesburg in South Africa. I landed here with no friends, no family, very little English language knowledge and having to learn to drive on the “wrong side of the road”. Do I have some stories to tell. Did not have the internet and Skype back then.
    Now 35 years later I have an abundance of all the things I did not have back then. I finished a career where I spent 22 years and now being retired I enjoy digital scrapping with the help of P2P.

• Shelley says:

Oh Marianne – you are much brave than I am! I’m not sure I could have done this without the modern technology that keeps me in touch with my family & friends. So glad you can look back with gratitude.

13. Tara Wells says:

Best of luck, Shelley, as you set out into a new adventure. I look forward to traveling with you vicariously through your pages. P2P has made made our world community that much smaller. It’s so lovely that we can share our stories & photos, no matter where we are in the world!

• Shelley says:

Isn’t it?! The internet has made the world so much smaller, and despite what they say, I think it is wonderful the way it brings people together.

14. ex-va-gal says:

You will have a wonderful adventure. Looking forward to the wonderful pages you are going to do.

15. Linda DeLaughter says:

All I can say is that you have enriched my life, Shelley, and have allowed me the privilege of meeting you and the other Pixies — some via the internet and some in person. I have learned so much along with way (although I don’t post many pages) and I look forward to sharing your new adventures with you! Blessings to you and your family!!!

16. adakallen adakallen says:

Yeah for P2P! and Cameras!
    I wish you the very best while you are on this new adventure and I look forward to all your pictures!