Tameka's Blog Header Image 820x142

I love scrapbooking my every day life.   I don’t always have a fabulous adventure or a funny punch line.  What I always have is a story to tell.  Over the course of my life I hope to have compiled a wonderful collection of stories and anecdotes of my life so that my great, great, great, great grandchildren, who will never know me in life, will somehow know that Granny Meka hated mayonnaise but loved bacon.  That being said…here is another not so top secret Bond girl tale that I cherish and hope to pass on to the generations to come through my Storybooks and other projects I create.

Just over one year ago I made one of the best decisions of my life.  I became a naturalista.  I decided to stop being held hostage to the permanent and I LOVE THE FREEDOM!

One thing I have learned with regard to the texture of black hair is there is no such thing as good hair or bad hair.  My hair is a fast growing, very curly and thick grade of hair passed on to me from my father.  For decades I have been relaxing (perming) my hair to straighten it.  I thought that by relaxing my hair, it was giving me style freedom.  Sure, it was easier to comb, it looked silky smooth, but the relaxer was very high maintenance.  The chemicals in the relaxer and the excessive amounts of heat used in styling my hair were very damaging.  They say you should not relax your hair more frequently than every 6-8 weeks; however, my hair grew so fast I found that if I failed to relax my hair every 4 weeks my scalp would become extremely sore due to my curly new growth fighting my straight permed hair.  I had good length to my relaxed hair, but found it necessary to cut it constantly to get rid of the damaged ends and to even up my hair where breakage had made it uneven.  I found myself needing to get my hair professionally styled every two weeks, but that became financially taxing.  During the summer months, the heat and sweat would ruin a professionally done do in minutes.  Lots of money would go down the drain.  Though relaxed, I found styling my hair myself not so easy. Being that my hair was so thick, it took forever for me to dry it and style it. I pretty much had to make sure that I had an entire day dedicated to styling my hair every week.   With time being in such short supply, I  began to find myself pulling my hair back into a ponytail every single day.

June 2013 was the beginning of my new fit lifestyle.  At boot camp five days per week I would sweat a lot.  This meant that my hair would have to be washed almost daily which is a no-no for black (relaxed) hair.  That is when I made the decision to chop it all off.  Both my mom and my husband did not like the idea of me cutting of all of my “beautifully relaxed” hair and going natural.  No one believed that I would cut all of my hair off, but I did. I am so glad I did!  I have gained so much by going natural.  The things that I have gained that I appreciate the most are:

• Time.  My natural hair is so low maintenance, I have more time to do the things I like to do.  I get to scrapbook, read and go out more and look cute while doing it.
  • Shine.  My hair is more healthy, shiny and vibrant.
  • Cash.  I save money.  Sure, there are still hair maintenance products that I need to buy, but I can manage my hair on my own.  I don’t need to go to the hair dresser (unless, of course, I want to).  I get to use that money that I would have spent on other things I love, such as projects that I print through the PPS.

Over the last year, I am amazed at the change in my hair.  It has grown a lot (though you can’t tell due to the shrinkage from the curl).  This layout I created shows how much I have transformed in the past year; from when I started my weight loss and naturalista journey until now.

Here is a page I created.  I did not use any content.  Fonts used are Chunk Five, Jenna Sue and Century Gothic.

Naturalista 864

16 Responses to Blog: Being a Naturalista

1. abycat3 abycat3 says:

This was a great story. I love your hair curly. It looked nice before too, but this way seems to show off your face more. It looks fantastic!

2. Bridget says:

Loving your natural…I also made that decision and still working at making it a comfortable fit. Maybe I need to make that plunge and try it cut short because I find it takes work with my natural hair. I am the one who had the perm so I could throw it in a ponytail every day. LOL!!! Bravo for you, love the way it looks on you.

3. Liz Propst says:

I’m lovin those curls….and you too!

4. Kaye Rhodes says:

I love it short! It’s cute, young and sassy! You look mahvalous, dahlin’!

5. dachiemama dachiemama says:

Love your hair, Meka! It is so cute.

6. Sandy says:

Just as you spent the money on straightening your hair I spent it on curling mine. My hair has always been very fine but I have a lot of it. It would just hang limp, never holding a curl for longer than 20 minutes (even with tons of product in it). I discovered the ease of a perm right before I started college (most pictures of that experience have been hidden from the public) and never went back. Because my hair grows so fast I would have to have it redone every 3-4 months to avoid the flat top look. Then when I started to color it, I had to be cautious so the chemicals didn’t react against each other. I don’t know what made me do it but I gradually stopped both hair treatments at about the same time and went from pulling it into a ponytail all the time to very short and natural. It is so easy to take care of and the money that I used to spend on hair care is now available for doing the things I love to do: scrapbooking and quilting. The funniest part about going natural is when people ask me who does my hair. I tell them where I get it cut and they want to know who does my color. The looks I get when I tell them God does are priceless.

7. Carolyn says:

WHAT?! There are some gray curls in there! I love that! You know I love your natural hair. I’d love to see you always keep it short and natural. It matches your sassy self. 🙂

8. Anita Albritton says:

Love your short (looking) curly hair!!

9. Terri in BC says:

Beautiful! You, your hair and your page!

10. Deanna Emmert says:

Yay YOU, Meka! I have very wavy/curly shoulder length hair. It has a mind of its own! So I never style it; just use the products that help keep it healthy. I, too, love the time saved and freedom. I do color it because I am just not ready to go gray yet. LOL! I have also enjoyed the freedom from having to rely on makeup, too, most of the time. Hey, who is really going to be looking at me when I am out grocery shopping? My skin loves it and so do my eyes! Yup! “Naturalista” is such a good term! 🙂

11. Ruth Bell says:

Congratulations! You’re an inspiration in life as well as in Pixie land.

12. Jan says:

Girl, I LOVE your curls!! And you! xx

13. Congratulations on embracing you as you are! You can see in your face how much weight you have lost and your hair looks beautiful. I have curly hair too and I let it curl naturally sometimes (but use a heat tool other times).

14. Angie Lopez says:

Thanks for sharing your story! This is my favorite part AND my reasoning for scrapbooking. The stories of my grandparents and great-grandparents are my most treasured memories. That’s what I want my children to remember about me! The stuff is just stuff, but the stories are the true treasures! Again, thanks for sharing “the story”!