140816_Blog_FontaholicsUnite_PMPI have a confession to make. I am addicted to fonts. I am a fontaholic, a fontaphile, a collector of digital fonts of every conceivable style. This is not really surprising, since I have always been interested in the appearance of the written word, even before the advent of computerized typography.

When I was in elementary school, I experimented with various styles of handwriting (including the ubiquitous little hearts and flowers over the letters ‘i’ and ‘j’). I tried slanting my writing to the left, I tried slanting it to the right, and I even tried writing with my non-dominant hand. That last item was not a design choice, though, it was necessitated by breaking my dominant wrist while playing tag on the playground. I apparently experimented with my writing so much that I never actually developed a comfortable script style, and to this day I write with an unruly mixture of printing and script.

During my high school years, I discovered calligraphy and worked diligently to master some of the basics. I loved how pretty my writing looked! And I gained a whole new appreciation of the painstaking artistry that went into the great illuminated manuscripts created by the monks in the Middle Ages.

Fast forward to when my own children were in elementary school, and I started scrapbooking (the scissors, paper, and pen way). It was fun to use my long-dormant calligraphy skills for page titles and decorative journaling. Most of the text I wrote in my regular ‘everyday’ writing, but using all kinds of fancy pens.

Eventually, though, digital scrapbooking became my passion. Over time, I learned how to choose fonts and format my journaling and titles for the best visual effect, and I built up a collection of fonts of various styles.

Finding just the right font to fit my creative design is always fun! I get font suggestions from my pixels2Pages teammates (you know who you are), from the wonderful digital pages posted by our members and fans on our Facebook page, and from Pinterest.  Armed with the names of the fonts that catch my eye, I visit some of the Internet sites which offer downloadable fonts, where I usually find the ones that I came for plus many more! (Warning: Do NOT visit these sites if you have any pressing obligations in the next twelve hours.) You can see p2P tried-and-true favorites along with our newest finds at our Font Pinboard on the pixels2Pages Pinterest page. (Scroll down to the bottom of this blog for a sneak peek.)

Here at the pixels2Pages website, you’ll find many resources to help you master the ins-and-outs of using fonts in Artisan, including some great time-saving tips. You’ll also find plenty of inspiration and creative ideas! You can use the “Tag Cloud” at the right of this page to find links to even more resources. Try clicking on the tags for ‘Fonts’, ‘Format Text’, ‘Journaling’, ‘Text’, ‘Text Shape’, or ‘Title”. These resources are a pixels2Pages member benefit; if you’re not a member, check out our Free Trial program. (Some of the links below are periodically included in our Free Trial offerings.)

Here are some links to get you going:

When you’re ready to play around with the fonts you have collected, try your hand at these fun and creative page layout ideas:

And if you’re curious about what fonts are favorites around here at pixels2Pages, check out these links to our website and also our Font Pinboard on the pixels2Pages Pinterest page.

Digital content for blog header and image:

Creative Memories Kits: Colorful Symphony, Mr. Fix-It, Days of Fall
Fonts: Ackbar, Clicker Script

Fonts-NewsprintFonts-Handwritten AFonts-Handwritten B

Follow pixels2Pages’s board pixels2Pages Fonts – Digital Scrapbook Layouts on Pinterest.

Tagged with →

16 Responses to Blog: Fontaholics Unite!

1. Jan H says:

I love the new feature in A5 to organize your fonts. I also have downloaded all the fonts you recommended and pinned. I just can’t find U through Z. Have I missed them finding them somewhere? Thanks

• Penny says:

I love that feature too! With the size of my font collection, it is a lifesaver. Regarding the fonts pins on our Pinterest board, they are a “work in progress” and we add to them as we have the chance. Personally, I love handwritten fonts, so I decided to do the A-Z series because there were so many to choose from. The Handwritten Fonts U-Z are not pinned yet, because I haven’t finished choosing the fonts and then coming up with themed pithy scrapbooking phrases that start with those letters. It turns out that “A”, “B”, and “C” were easier to think of phrases for! I’m accepting suggestions for the remaining letters if anyone is inspired. I think I got stuck at “U” because I had trouble finding words that didn’t start with “un”! I have a thesaurus and dictionary next to my computer that I browse through periodically. (I still like turning the actual pages of those big reference books instead of using an App on my phone.)

2. donnalittlecmc says:

Quick question — b/c I’m fairly new to Pinterest… are there photos/links to the favorite fonts beginning with letters “R” to “Z”? thanks for the awesome resources you continue to provide day after day

• Penny says:

Thanks for the kind words, Donna! We are just getting started with Pinterest also, so we will be adding Pins as we go along. Different team members are making Pins for different things. One of my projects is the Handwritten Fonts (because I love to use them on my pages). I add a few more of these every chance I get! I do have all the Handwritten Fonts downloaded for R to Z, just haven’t the chance to make the Pins yet! We will also have some Pins on different font styles as we go along. So stay tuned!

3. Sandy says:

I just read this and will have to come back and visit it again, BUT not until after I get my Italy books done. I could see myself visiting dafont.com and getting sucked in and distracted from my task. Can’t wait to go play.

• Penny says:

I am envious of your self-restraint, Sandy! This will be something for you to look forward to after finishing those books. Can’t wait to see the pages!

4. Deanna Emmert says:

Well, now I know who will be my “Font Enabler.” YOU! lol!

5. Mary says:

I resemble this article!! Love it.

6. June Gauntley says:

I, too, am a member of “Fontaholics Unite”, Penny! Great blog today! I was determined that when I changed to a new computer that I was going to “start over” with my fonts. I had WAY too many! But, I couldn’t bear to just delete them, so I saved my font file under “my documents” for my new computer. And guess what? Yep – they are all re-installed! Thanks for making me feel (somewhat) normal! 🙂

7. Jan says:

Oh, so many fonts, so little time…..

8. adakallen adakallen says:

What font did you use in the banner at the top of this blog?

9. Linda DeLaughter says:

Hi Penny: I am also a “fontaphile”. I recently found 2 fonts at http://www.dafont.com, but I was unable to download them. They are “Harry Piel” and “Candlescript”. Have you seen them? Can you advise how to locate/download them for use in Artisan?
    Thanks for the info!

• Penny says:

Linda, I checked on those fonts and this is what I found out. I was able to successfully download and install “Harry Piel” from dafont.com in the same manner as I usually do (described in the links above). Try re-downloading it in case your copy of that font file somehow became corrupted. If you still can’t get it to work, you might explore the other fonts of the same type (dafont.com categorizes it as “Retro”). I did find “Candlescript” at dafont.com, but I see that its file type is “OTF” (Open Type Font). Artisan does not recognize this font type, but rather the alternative “TTF” (True Type Font). You might try similar fonts such as “Chopin Script” and “Coneria Script”. Happy Fonting!