JG_BlogHeader

Taking selfies, or even being in a photo is something that I am totally uncomfortable with. There is always a reason not to (hair, no make-up, bad clothes, overweight, I take the better photo) and the list goes on. But ….. just a week ago our Day2Day theme was “Self Portraits”. That’s right – for a whole 7 days those doing the Day2Day Project, or for that matter, anyone who wanted to jump on board, could choose to take self portraits for an entire 7 days and then do a layout at the end of the week!!! Now, the themes for the Day2Day project are there as a guide. People who take a photo each day can choose whether to embrace the theme and take a photo following that theme for each of the 7 days, or just use the theme for one or two photos of their Day2Day lives, or – not use the theme at all and just capture their moments to suit their own needs. We had the “Self Portrait” theme last year as well. I didn’t do so well at it. I managed just one “proper” photo of myself, a few of my hands, and the rest of my photos were other subjects – which is totally fine, but, I felt like I had let the team down! If I couldn’t take a photo of myself each and every day for a week – then how could I expect those following p2P and the Day2Day Project do the same? I knew I shouldn’t be too hard on myself, after all, this project is all about what’s right for each individual.

As I flipped through all the fabulous layouts from all of the Day2Day participants last year, checking out how so many of our peeps had embraced the Self Portrait Theme, there was one that really caught my eye from Nita Albritton. Nita had really embraced the theme, stepped out of her comfort zone, and taken an entire week of selfies! Her page was so striking, and it was wonderful to see photos of Nita on the page, and put a face to the person who had been contributing so many wonderful pages to our Day2Day group, and making wonderful comments on pages done by all the other Day2Day contributors. Nita really inspired me to get passed my fear of being in front of the camera, and I was determined to do better the following year.

So, I made a pact with myself – that in 2014, when the Self Portrait theme appeared on the list of weekly themes, to embrace it, take the good with the bad, and take a selfie. After all, how hard could it be? The younger generation take them all the time and share on Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and Instagram. How hard could it be for me? But then, I started thinking – do that younger generation actually print and put those photos in books that are going to be passed on to the next generation? Probably not! Yet here I was, committing to a theme that would have my face, on a page, shared on Facebook, for everyone to see from the pixels2Pages world! Eeeeeeeek!!!! Didn’t know if I could do it! But then …. I got to thinking … (yes I over think a lot of things!) … as I looked at the shelves of all the albums I have done, both traditional, digital and hybrid … just how many photos of me were contained in those albums? The sad truth is, not that many! It was time to get out from behind that camera. Last year’s page from Nita made me step out from behind the camera before the 2014 Self Portrait Theme came around. Even if for just one or two photos at family and friend’s gatherings. It was time! I have so much to thank her for that. It is still not a comfortable process, but I’m getting there. I’m still critical of all the photos I see of myself – but hey, editing them to black & white sometimes makes the world of difference!

I challenge everyone that struggles with being in the photo to step out from behind that camera. Hand your camera over to someone else. Hold that camera up and take a selfie. Work out how to use the time control on your camera. Download an app that lets your mobile phone take a time lapse photo. It’s not that hard once you do it a few times – and your family and friends will thank you for it in years to come for actually being in a photo with them – and you will thank yourself too!!!

Then just this week I saw Nita’s 2014 page of Self Portraits – and she had not only done another wonderful job taking selfies, she had included some inspiring journalling with the page as well, that made me want to write about how great it is to have our fabulous p2P community. How wonderful it is to be inspired by someone who lives all the way over on the other side of the world. How fabulous it is that that inspiration could mean so much to me and leave something of me in a book to look back on in the years to come.

Page by: Nita Albritton – 2013 – Day2Day Self Portrait ThemeJG_Blog_27Aug2014_NitaSamplePage1_JG

Page by: Nita Albritton – 2014 – Day2Day Self Portrait ThemeJG_Blog_27Aug2014_NitaAlbrittonSamplePage2

Page by: Janice Gilhooley – 2013 – Day2Day Self Portrait Theme
As you can see  – just one “true” selfie on the page!JG_Blog_27Aug2014_SamplePage2_JG

Page by: Janice Gilhooley – 2014 – Day2Day Self Portrait Theme

Even though my week didn’t go totally according to plan (and I got a little bit distracted by Christmas hitting the shops in August!), I’m so pleased with my week of Self Portraits. I’m actually in the photos! (and I’ve already mentioned how I love changing things to black & white!). Also photo credit to Kerrianne for inspiration for my #20 photo!

JG_Blog_27Aug2014_SamplePage1_JG

A huge thank you to Nita for not only inspiring me so much, but also for allowing me to share her pages for my blog! She really came through for me, sending the images through at a very last minute request when I decided to write about “selfies”!!! Thanks Nita!!!

Want to jump on board and start taking a photo a day? Here’s the link to check out our Day2Day themes to help you on your way. A new list for the last quarter of 2014 will be publishing soon, so stay tuned. Not sure what the Day2Day project is all about? Head over and watch our Day2Day One DayAt A Time Portfolio to see what it’s all about.

JG_BlogSignature

19 Responses to Blog: Gotta Take a Selfie

1. LindaIOSMe says:

Congratulations on your selfies! I think I’ve managed to take two. I just never think of doing it, but I would agree – looking back on all the many photo albums I’ve done over the last 20 or so years – there are very, very few photos of me. I did compromise, however, and in addition to doing the “normal” albums of what the family is doing, I’ve now started one that is just MINE. Whenever I run across something I like, I’ll make a page about it – just for me. A lot of the time the photos come from the internet, rather than ones I’ve taken, but there are NO RULES in my book. Whenever it’s done, my children will have a glimpse of what made me happy or I found interesting on a particular day. I also use that book for experimenting with P2P challenges and videos (keeping even the “failed” pages…

• Janice says:

Thank you Linda. I love a book with “no rules”!!! That’s exactly how I view my Day2Day project each year. I use the themes as a guide, and then I take photos of stuff that is about me, and things I love, as well as a few of the family as well! This project is sometimes more fun that doing the chronological family book! 🙂 I love that you are using your for p2P offerings – but I’m not sure if there is such a thing as a “failed” page – I think a page done is a done page!!!

2. Carolyn says:

You look AMAZING!

3. Terry Vachowski says:

I love this blog, Janice, and I agree, Nita has been a big inspiration to me too! I remember both of your pages from last year! As Debbie said, I also went through the same thought process. I’m still very uncomfortable in front of the camera, but as usual, I learned a few things from trying to stick to the theme as I have been doing this year. One of the things I learned from this one is that I need my husband to make me laugh in order to look natural in a selfie. Thanks again, Janice and Nita!

• Janice says:

Thank you Terry! I love seeing your Day2day pages each week. We have come a long way together doing this wonderful project. It’s more than just snapping a pic every day – we’ve built a wonderful community and we keep reaping the benefits from our efforts! 🙂

4. Shelley says:

Great blog Janice. I’m a bit embarrassed to post my selfie page now!! (You’ll see why)

• Janice says:

I’m sure your page will be filled with amazing photos Shelley. Maybe we should have a “selfie” challenge more often until we all get comfortable with being in front of the camera!!! 😉

5. debbie says:

Yay! Janice and Nita. You both inspire myself and I suspect a lot of us. I felt exactly as did Janice and went through the exact same thought process. An additional idea I had is that my Day2day project is done primarily for me and what caught my eye that week. Once I acknowledged that I was much more relaxed about this theme. I also discovered that it helps to have long arms to take a selfie!

• Janice says:

Thanks Debbie 🙂 You are so right about the Day2Day project – I love that it’s just for me, I can take photos of what I like and they don’t all have to match on one page – and it ends up being a sort of “history” of what our lives are like (with the family included). So in the end it is such a great book to have printed and on the shelf!
      And… yes – long arms required, and holding the phone/camera above my head works too. I’m going to love the time app that I just downloaded, and I need to check with Kim Mannino as she has an app on her phone that you can just “wave” your hand and it takes the photo for you – no holding required!

6. Janis says:

I have never done the Day2Day challenge–too busy trying to keep up with other projects–but I wanted to check out the Portfolio you mentioned. When I click on the link, my computer cannot finish downloading the page. Is there a problem? I did reboot and close all other windows but to no avail. Thanks!

• Janice says:

Janis – I have just checked all the links now and everything is downloading fine for me. It may have been an internet issue with you, so I hope you’ll try again, or use maybe use a different browser. I’m using Chrome and I have no problems.

7. Deanna Emmert says:

Well, I think your selfie page is fabulous and that you are one beautiful lady–even if you did get sick! I did not do the selfie page this year because I hate how I look in front of the camera. You have, however, given me something to consider in your blog posting here, so maybe…IF it shows again next year…just maybe…or maybe I’ll just make a page for myself to get myself comfortable with the idea…maybe…

• Janice says:

Thank you sooo much Deanna. Black & White treatment helps make things look better 😉 Jump in right now and take a few selfies and share a page with us – I’d love to see it. If you do it now, while you’re thinking about it, it will be easier – and who knows, you could just add that extra page into your Day2Day book – there are no rules!!! 🙂

8. Anita Albritton says:

Janice, YOU are always such an inspiration!! I love your blog so much, and am really honored that you wanted to share my pages! I am in awe of how much I’ve grown, not just in digi-scrapbooking, or photography, but as a person, since I joined this wonderful P2P community! Thanks for all you do!!
    Oh! Your selfies are fabulous!! 🙂

• Anita Albritton says:

I totally meant to say a HUGE thank you for all the incredibly kind words you said about me in your blog!! Thank you so much, Janice!! You are so dear!!!

• Janice says:

Nita – me too! I agree with you, we have all grown so much being part of the p2P world. It’s been an inspirational journey, and not only have I learned so much about our digital software, I have made so many friends and been inspired by so many people along the way. Thank you for all that you do with your wonderful pages, heartfelt comments on our Facebook page – and for being you! Love your style, and I was so happy that you were so willing to share what you do for my blog this month! I won’t tell you how many selfies ended up on the “cutting room floor” – but I’m pretty happy with what I ended up with for this week – so thank you for your inspiration!

• Anita Albritton says:

You should be really happy with your page! It’s just wonderful!! And I’m right there with you in the abundance of photos on the cutting room floor!!