JG_BlogHeaderWhat do you give someone that has everything they need? It can be so hard to choose that perfect gift that will be treasured and be a meaningful gift. My mother is turning 80 this year, not until November, and she really does have everything she needs. So my thinking cap was on around Christmas time and I briefly floated the idea of an i-Pad that all the family could contribute to as a gift for her. She loves playing card games and uses her laptop mainly for that (as well as getting photos off her camera), but after a quick lesson on my daugher’s mini-i-Pad I wasn’t convinced that this would be the perfect gift for her. I could see many phone calls in my future with the “how do I ……..”, “I don’t know what I’ve done……..” starting off the conversation!

Then I got to thinking about the wonderful Project Studio, Home Is Where The Heart Is Workshop. I had thought about doing this for my own home – but I’m in the midst of a huge clean up and my house is a big mess. If I’m honest – this huge cleanup has been happening over the last couple of years and I still have so much to do! But ….. when I travelled to Mum & Dad’s for our usual New Year’s Eve trip to see the country fireworks, and to stay for a few days, inspiration suddenly hit!!! Mum & Dad have been talking about downsizing for quite some time. It is still just talk, and I’m not sure if it is going to happen any time soon, but they are looking at their options even though moving for them is such a huge task. When they first moved to Inverloch over 25 years ago, they bought a home and made it their own. Then as Inverloch (a country seaside town) grew, their street became busier and busier, so they sold, bought a block of land in a new estate, rented for a while, and built their current home from scratch. Mum even designed and drew all the plans out to scale so they could have exactly the home they wanted. I think that is what is making the thought of moving for them an even harder decision. It is hard to leave something that is so close to their hearts. An empty block of land, with no trees or garden, just dirt and weeds, and they have built it from the first pegging out for the concrete slab, to the very last brick, tiles, cabinetry, fittings, soft furnishings and more … not to mention their wonderful garden.

So … that’s when I knew I had the perfect gift for Mum for her 80th birthday. A book of memories, a book that displayed all the things they love about their home and where they live, a book that she would always treasure and will hopefully bring back wonderful memories for when they do decide to move to a smaller home that will be more manageable for them both. I know Dad will get a tear in his eye when he sees it too, he has put a lot of “blood, sweat and tears” into their place.

I had 4 days at Mum’s to run around and take photos of all the things I thought would fit into the book. With a list of prompts that is provided in worksheets, the Blueprint Book designed by Kerrianne Hobbs and wonderful content to fill the book by Janet Bodet Carr of Little Feet Digital Designs – the book is coming together quickly and easily. I have the Home Is Where The Heart Is Blueprint Book & Kit Bundle, which means that everything has been put together with meticulous detail that makes it so easy to complete pages, journalling, even right down to deciding which photos to take. It is such a pleasure to create each page, watching the project come to life so quickly and with no fuss or even “tweaking” on my part (something that I always seem to do when creating pages).  I can’t praise both Kerrianne and Janet enough about the concept of “Home Is Where The Heart Is”.

If you haven’t checked this wonderful concept out, I suggest you do. Even if you can’t even imagine doing one on your own home, think about what a wonderful gift this could be for someone in your life. The Project Studio Workshop will be available for you to sign up at any time.

By the way – Mum was a little curious as to why I was snapping away with my camera, but I told her I needed new photos to work with for Blueprints, and my Day2Day photos for while I was down there. When she went to church on Sunday morning, I ran around with my checklist taking heaps of photos and ticking things off. As I’m working on the pages, I know I need to grab a couple more photos when I head back to their place, but it will be easy for me to slip them into the wonderful layouts I’ve made so far due to the very clever design concept of the Blueprint Book.JG_Blog_20Jan2015

Content used: Home Is Where The Heart Is Blueprint Book & Kit Bundle.   Font: Aaargh

JG_BlogSignature

16 Responses to Blog: The Perfect Gift

1. Terry Vachowski says:

What a wonderful gift, Janice! I know she’ll love it! I’m starting to see I need to do this book for myself sometime soon!

• Janice says:

Thanks Terry. You’ll love this class and project – it is so wonderfully designed and the whole concept comes together so easily for us participating in the Class!

2. Avril Lawson says:

I so wish that I had done a book like this of my beautiful home in NZ before I moved to San Fran just over a year ago. I have lots of photos of home, but it would have been nice to have a book dedicated solely to our family home. The theme of the book that I am working on currently is My Year of Change so I had better not get distracted and start something new?!

• Janice says:

I always tell myself I’m not going to get distracted and focus on the projects at hand – but …..
      However, that being said – this project comes together so quickly and easily. Kerrianne & Janet have done a fabulous job with the prompts and the support they give on the private Facebook Group for those that are doing this Class/Workshop is fabulous – not to mention all the other wonderful people who are doing this project. Some have even completed their books already and ordered them!
      If you have some photos of your home in NZ, take a look at them and you may be inspired to join the class!

3. Sandy says:

Your mom is going to LOVE her book. I was blown away yesterday when I opened my Panstoria box and looked through mine.

4. LindaIOSMe says:

What a lovely idea! Makes me wish I had thought to do that before my Mom moved out of the house she and Dad had shared for so many years… I will have to check out the workshop – I’m thinking my children might just appreciate it – (in about 10 years or so…

• Janice says:

Thanks Linda – I hope you do make a book. Definitely check out the workshop. There is also a fabulous Facebook Group just for this project, that people who have signed up for the class have exclusive access to. It’s a wonderful community full of fabulous support and ideas, not to mention the sharing of all the great layouts while they complete their books.

5. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

Loving this project!! What a great gift! I’m sure Dad will love the one I am making!!

6. Kaye Rhodes says:

You mother is 80? Don’t wait until November to give it to her! Give it to her for the first holiday that comes along, in the US – Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day, OR, simply just because!

7. debbie says:

Great blog and I agree. For Christmas I made a memory book for my mother in law but now have a great idea for her 83 birthday in June. This book is pure genius. I’m making one now with the FB group

• Janice says:

Debbie, how wonderful that you are making special photo books for your mother-in-law! The Facebook group is a wonderful community of people participating in the creation of their special “Home Is Where The Heart Is” projects, I meant to mention that in my blog – I may just add another paragraph in!

8. Linda DeLaughter says:

Your parents raised an incredibly wonderful, talented and thoughtful daughter! Blessings to you for making this wonderful book of memories for your Mum!

• Janice says:

Thank you so much Linda. I’m loving doing this book, and hope Mum loves it too – I’ll have the camera all ready for when she is looking through it, but I’m not sure I can wait until November to give it to her! 🙂