Blog header

When you read this, I will be travelling in New Zealand! This will be our first overseas trip together in just over 20 years of marriage. No kids, just the two of us and 10 days to explore a whole wonderful country! We are more than a little excited, but I’m also suffering from the last-minute travel jitters. There’s so much to organise when you travel, and since we’ve never done it before, how do we know we haven’t forgotten something important?

So I’ve started a whole lot of checklists. Travel plan checklists, accommodation checklists, packing checklists, things to have organised before we go, things to have organised while we’re there, reminders for the kids (they need to pack for a camp too), mail collection, bills to be paid, luggage to be borrowed, whittling down the “Must see in NZ” list to something we can manage in 10 days… And then there are the things I’ve forgotten that I’ll think of just before we get on the plane, or not at all!

The one thing I’m certain I know how to do is take LOTS of pictures. Knowing I will be making an album about the trip when we get home, I’m all prepared to get the photos I need. Jan’s “10 Must-have travel photos” article in the September issue of Pages magazine gave me some great ideas for the sorts of photos I want to be sure to get, and so did Justine’s Photography Tip: Bon Voyage! Do Not Forget Your Camera! I also got some fantastic travel journaling ideas from this Tip: Journaling Your Travels. I know I need to write everything down – you think you’ll remember, but there are just so many new sights and experiences, it’s hard to keep track! The idea of recording some audio notes on my phone is one I’m going to try. I’m pretty sure we’ll be able to get internet connection in most places, so I’m thinking about options for uploading photos to the cloud for back-up.

One goal for this trip is to be a bit more mindful when taking photos, and not just snap away – hopefully getting some half-decent photos, rather than lots and lots of mediocre ones. I want to let myself stop, breathe, take in a scene, think a bit about light, exposure and angles, and try some of those good composition tips I’ve heard so often. Who am I kidding? We all know I won’t be able to stop myself snapping away!! But I will at least try to get a few nice, arty photos into the mix.

We get back right at the start of the p2P Time2Crop weekend, so I was hoping I could get some NZ pages done during the crop – but that’s probably a little ambitious! After all, my photos will need to be imported into Historian, culled, tagged, and descriptions added before I can get them onto pages. So you might not see my NZ pictures during the crop, but they’ll be coming up fairly soon after I’m sure. Despite the jitters, I’m really, really looking forward to this trip, and I hope to have lots of lovely memories to preserve in photo books and share with you all here too!

25 Responses to Blog: The pre-travel jitters

1. Caroline says:

To me, the best day of a trip is the day before you leave! I’ve always kept written journals and it’s so much fun to back 30/40 years later and read them! I write on the right side and keep expenses on the left side of each two-page spread in my journal. Also helps you to remember where you had that beautifully photographed salad at lunch! NZ is on my bucket list, too!

• Alison says:

Great idea for remembering the details Caroline. I’m finding a combination of written notes, notes on my phone and taking lots of photos of signs is helping. Hope you get to NZ one day!

2. Jan says:

Can’t imagine how much fun you are having!! I love the minute I’m on the plane and buckled in – too late to worry if I’ve forgotten something! Enjoy! xx

3. Prue Cantwell says:

Welcome to our world!!!! Fabulous weather here, especially in Auckland, city of sails….Enjoy

4. Janice says:

I’m envious never having been to New Zealand as a tourist. Only a 3 day business trip and no sites seen at all, and no photos! I can’t wait to see your photos and hear about your travels, knowing you will have an amazing time travelling and site seeing – just the two of you!!!

5. Avril Lawson says:

You will love my old home of NZ – very photogenic and beautiful, and of course wonderful people. And the summer weather has been gorgeous. Hard to have a top 10 list as there are so many places to see, but not seeing everything will give you a reason to go back. Enjoy – I am envious!

6. jolleyontheroad jolleyontheroad says:

Travel envy!!!

7. Shirley Bennett says:

If you get stuck message me thru facebook – you just never know – we are 20 minutes north of Christchurch

8. Terry Vachowski says:

I’m so excited for you, Alison, and totally understand the jitter thing. Can’t wait to see photos!

9. Shirley Bennett says:

Welcome to our islands! The rule of thumb is one week North Island two weeks South island. We do drink milk not just as North Americans do! We produce a lot! Hope you are on the receiving end of this lovely weather – I giggled when I read about unusual customs – when i went to Virginia theological Seminary I asked if I could borrow a rubber! ( I did my notes in pencil) Finally someone asked me what I was wanting to do! Only in America……

• Alison says:

If only we had three weeks (or 3 months!) Shirley!! Loving NZ so far. Weather has been beautiful, and there’s not that much cultural difference to home, so we haven’t put our foot in it yet. Love your comment about the language difference – I’ve heard of that one happening to other Aussie friends too.

10. Sandy says:

Don’t forget to pass off your camera so you are in some of the photos too!! We want to see what you see but we also want to see you having fun.

11. Deanna Emmert says:

Relax….enjoy….soak it all in! In the meantime I am beginning to get organized in my head for our trip in August! Planning…oh yeah! 🙂

12. Linda DeLaughter says:

New Zealand is a photographer’s paradise!! But there are some unusual customs that you should know. When we asked for milk each morning at breakfast, we were looked at strangely. Apparently, Kiwis don’t drink a lot of milk. Some form of pumpkin is served during the day and with almost every meal (but that’s a good thing!). New Zealand is a LOT bigger than we thought. We would drive for 8 hours just to make it to the next city. There are no shortcuts to cut from here to there. On our drive to Milford Sound, we drove through a tunnel. On one side of the tunnel, it was beautiful and flowers were blooming, and on the other side of the tunnel, it was snowing. I hope you make it to the Milford Sound. On the drive there, you will pass a roadsign that marks the 45th degree parallel South of the Equator. Then you KNOW you’re a long way from home! If you’re only visiting the North Island, make sure you visit Lake Tarawera and learn about the volcanic eruption there. The Kiwis are some of the best folks on the planet — enjoy their beautiful country and have a great trip!

13. debbie says:

Cannot wait to see some of your pictures. Have fun