KH Blog Header

In my “other job” as a Primary School Art Teacher, I love to use the skills I know about using Artisan software and most especially, the content I have (and that’s a LOT!!)  as images in my Art Room.

This year I have introduced a new start to most of my classes called “Quick Draw”. The children all have a workbook to keep their drafts, designs and any technique information in etc. As they come into Art they know to start their Quick Draw in their books. They have a limit of about 7 – 10 minutes. Some times I have a specific topic for them to draw and I have some ‘still life items’ such as apples, feathers, bark, leaves, shells etc. Sometimes I ask them to draw from their imagination and give them a specific ‘thing’ to draw about.

Art is very visual, and I was thinking about new topics and ideas for the children to use for their Quick Draw. One day  when I was looking for an embellishment or something for a page of my own I started to think about all the fantastic simple designs of embellishments in the gazillion art kits I have. And that’s when my “Quick Draw Cards” came about!!

I made an A4 project called “Quick Draw Cards” and set up a page template that I could duplicate as many times as I needed. It is a simple grid of 8 x 2 1/2″ squares with black borders. On each of the squares I have placed simple embellishment designs. Some of the images I used the rubber stamp tool to create just a plain black outline image. They were things I know the children can copy and make their own. I have had all of the squares cut and laminated so there are dozens of little cards.

The children can choose just one card or multiples for their Quick Draw and draw it exactly as it is on the card or make a whole new picture out of it. If they chose a few cards for example, a turtle, a water splash and starfish, their image could be an underwater scene. So, 7 – 10 minutes doesn’t seem like much time, but as a warm up of imaginative drawing time, it is perfect. The best part though, is if there are fast finishers, they know they can go back to their Quick Draw and continue working on it. Some children don’t choose new cards if they are keen to continue on from the previous card.

We see the Quick Draw as a draft and if any child chooses to “publish” or “produce” an artwork piece they can choose any media they like to do so. So the little cards are a starting point to what could turn out to be a beautiful painting or drawing or even a group of little clay animals.

Who would have thought that by using a few simple images, it could help a child in their own creativity?

Here’s some of the cards. I am unable to account for the content kits, I scrolled through my entire embellishments and picked and placed as I went. If this is an idea you like, you can use just about ANY of the content you already have.

art cards

13 Responses to Blog: Art Cards

1. Jamminstacy says:

Would you share your cards? or do you have a teachers pay teachers where you can purchase them?

• Kerrianne says:

I don’t have a teachers pay teachers, but I know about it.
      I shared the cards here on my blog to inspire others to make some of their own and encouraged people to create them for the reasons they need, using the content they have.

2. Caroline says:

What’s really scary is that some of us can look at your images and tell you what kit it’s from! That probably means we either have been doing this too long or also own too much content! Content-junkies!!!

• Kerrianne says:

Hahaha! Yes, I can name a few of them, I guess I meant, for this project I did not really take a great deal of notice of the particular kits, just the images.
      And I know what you mean by content junkies!! LOL

3. Sandy says:

I could see making “I Spy” cards for car travel using this same idea.

4. Cindy Rold says:

Clever idea.

5. sistersunshine says:

This is something that I WISH I had had back in my teaching days, BUT it’s a great tool I can share with the next generation… used to spend HOURs & HOURs cutting out photo, gluing them to cardstock, then covering them with contact paper… to get a similar product (that was amazing back then… definitely old school now) This software continues to amaze me. *U* Kathleen

• Kerrianne says:

There are plenty of other products that could be used for this type of thing Kathleen, but having so much content in front of me made it easy to custom make my own and know I can add to my collection any time with more of the same!!

6. Janice says:

This is so cool – so much so I want to go back to school and do Art Classes with you!!!

7. aimado says:

What a great idea! This could be used for any age. I also like the idea for a journaling starting point. Pick a card and write about whatever comes to your mind.

• Kerrianne says:

These type of cards are perfect for journalling and story writing prompt starters! One of the other teachers at my school took a set and did just that!