On this page are links to downloadable pdfs giving you a guided tour of Historian. These pdfs are provided free to all, and contain multiple embedded links to more detailed videos and tips available to anyone with a Focus on Historian or pixels2Pages membership. Print the pdfs as a handy reference guide, but save them on your computer too, so that you can use the links to help you learn more.

Check back here often as more pages will be added over the next several months. Click the image to download or save that pdf.

21 Responses to Historian Overview

1. CorinnePitt says:

Do you have information on using the “My Albums” feature in historian? I’m wanting to start a heritage album and think sorting them to an album page, like I used to do traditionally, may be a good visual. Also, I’m unsure what size album I want to make, so sorting pictures to a page in Historian would enable me to see the pictures in place, (how many I want to use for each family member). Thank you.

2. fbailey says:

Hi-After reading the overview I decided to do a health check. After doing so this message appeared: 284 extra files were detected in the vault directories that are not referenced in the manifest. The resolutions to this message were to either: move extra files to the vault recovery directory or attempt to add extra files to the vault manifest.

Since I am not sure what these 284 extra files are I am not sure what I should do.

Thanks Faith

• Shelley says:

Choose “attempt to add extra files to the vault manifest.” I’m not sure why this happens sometimes, but it just means that the image metadata has not been included in the manifest, or data file of Historian. The images are fine, and trying again seems to work.

3. Amy Storch says:

Thank you so much for these…what wonderful resources for all to enjoy!

4. Lisa Purrington says:

I started with Memory Manager but now it says I only have 22 pictures in the file. However I have been using Historian for quite a while, but when I pull up the media library, how do I know which vault these pictures are in. I don’t think I set this up right when I started and I want to start over and make sure all my photos are saved and copied. I don’t know where I have saved anything. I think I have photos all over the place and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

5. Michelle James says:

Can I please confirm that Historian makes a copy of your photos when you import them into the program thus making the original copy in Windows unnecessary?

6. Jan H says:

Wow – Thank You. I have been using Artisan, but have not been using Memory Manager. Doing my first D2D album this year, I am feeling overwhelmed with the volume of pictures and have decided I need to learn Historian. This will be very helpful.

7. Maria Wilder says:

Not sure how in the world I missed this when you first posted Shelley. Sure glad I found it tonight!
    Thank You, Thank You! I will be having fun becoming smarter and adept at using this wonderful program.

8. Laureen says:

This is going to be a great refresher for me and to learn new again or relearn wbphat I forgot. Thanks you for this. Keep these kind of things coming too. Have a happy day.

9. Terry Vachowski says:

Thank you, Shelley. I’m working myself up to getting Historian. I haven’t used Memory Manager for at least 3 years and never understood it that well. This will definitely help.

10. Patricia Lewis says: