KH Blog Header

My husband, Darren, went on an overseas trip to East Timor recently. It was a school trip for him and 4 other teachers from his high school. They support a small community in Viqueque and took lots of supplies for the school to use and especially to give out to the kids.

When he got home, he had about 800 photos from his 10 days there. He decided that he wanted a book! I was happy (insert kind of fake smile here) to make him a book, but was worried that it would be a very long process with loads of text matching the photos and time consuming if he wanted lavish, embellished pages (you know the sort!!!!!). Nope, none of that! He edited his photos and got rid of the ones not needed and ended up with about 640 photos. He wanted a book of just photos. Nothing else!

We did some calculations on having over 600 photos printed at a 6×4 size, which would then just get handed about for people to look at straight from their packages. Messy! Then we did some calculations on fitting that many photos into a book. Guess what? It turned out to be more cost effective, lighter and easier to carry around in a book!!  None of the photos were to be a 6×4 size, but in a 12×12 book, all of the images were easily recognisable. Of course I used a p2P Blueprint for my pages and made sure it was one that would enable me to fit a maximum number of photos onto each page. I quickly set the book up of left and right pages and in no time at all that 64 page book of over 600 photos was full!!

Making books for other people can be hard, especially if there needs to be text or digital content that is going to ‘suit’ the other persons style. In this case, Darren was happy to have all of his photos in one book and he has been personally showing people, so he chose not to have any text to tell the stories. I didn’t mind doing it this way and even though it took a little longer than just printing single photos, it is much more convenient! Making books for myself, and our family, I get to add all sorts of designs and fun stuff to my pages, but I’d probably prefer not to make books for others – unless it was as quick and easy as this one was!

Here are some of the pages from the book. I used “The Courts” DPS from July 2015 for my standard photo set up for the book.

Timor Feature page

37 Responses to Blog: Fill your book with photos

1. crefreeman says:

Every Three years my family has a reunion where there can be over 150 people. This summer I was really good and have the photos all ‘labeled’ with who is who. This idea will work great when it comes to getting it into an album/book. It was suggested that I make up a ‘yearbook’.

2. carolyn says:

When I first read this, I thought it was a great idea but I would never have a need for something like this. A month has not past and I am making a book for my niece. She has does custom knitting for people. She thinks a book of her previous project customer had made would be a great addition to her craft booth.

3. Cindy Rold says:

I just realized that for my trip to Nepal, which was a lot of beautiful mountain views, I can use a plain black background, lots of photos, and a little journaling. I don’t need any papers of embellishments. Yes! I can get that book done quickly using this system.

4. Prue Cantwell says:

I struggled at the weekend at a crop camp in New Zealand as I sat and looked at over 2000 photos taken on our 8 week holiday we have just returned from! Where do I start? Eventually toward the end of the 2nd day I stopped procrastinating, and made a start BUT I wish I had seen your idea initially… Never too late I say and now you have given me some wonderful ideas on getting photos only onto pages and less embellishments and pretties!! Thank you

5. Lisa Ingleton says:

This is a lovely idea and I have also filled pages with photos on some albums. Your pages are fantastic!

6. Laura Hughes says:

First time for P2P for me and first time using a blueprint – think I will like them…. I am always taking pictures of flowers and birds – they can take up a lot of space in a book! I would show you but am not sure how to get it here.

• Kerrianne says:

Laura, you can show any or all of your pages on our Facebook page. Unfortunately, you are unable to share you page here, but we love seeing what people are doing on our p2P FB page. Head over and take a look at all the pages from this weekend’s crop!!!

7. Claire says:

I am pleased to see this. My niece has asked me to make a book of her Semester in Australia. I have not jumped right on it, but seeing these pages makes the thought of it much more appealing. I do prefer lots of photos on my pages. Thanks again!

8. Helga Wandel says:

My dad does all of his StoryBooks (and he’s done a lot) with no embellishments and lots of photos on plain white backgrounds- occasionally black background. He does do some journalling, but he lets the photos be the embellishments. People always tell him how amazing his PhotoBooks are. He doesn’t even use templates of any kind- just puts photos on the pages (and I line them all up nicely for him, and edit the text, because he has Parkinson’s so the fine motor skill work is hard for him).

9. Tara Wells says:

This is a refreshing blog entry! Although I really enjoy telling my own family’s stories with photos, pretty papers and embellishments as my hobby, most of my friends are almost paralyzed with being overwhelmed with all the photos they take. No photos are printed in any form. They see my books and say, “I can’t do that!” I try to tell them that this is my hobby. Just drop photos on a plain white or black page, label a date and other pertinent info so at least their family photos will be preserved and not lost to changing technology. Your pages are beautiful as is, and like you said, “fill your books with photos.”

• Kerrianne says:

Thank you Tara!
      A simple photo placement design (like the one I used) can fill pages with all sorts of fun snaps! And it is so much better than printed single photos to look at or sitting at a computer screen to enjoy someone else’s photos!

10. Cheryl says:

Love the book. What I have done sometimes for albums like this is to have one page at the begging or end where the person writes their story. This way the story about the trip is told but it is all on one page and the rest is just photos. I love the plain backgrounds.

• Kerrianne says:

Darren was taking this book straight to school to share and tell all of the stories, so we decided he didn’t need to have much written. BUT, I do agree, a bit of a story at the beginning or end is a great idea if it is a book that anyone can just pick up to read.

11. Bobbi says:

Love this concept. Am doing a book for a dear friend of our joint river cruise in Europe. Have found some good P2P templates and am going to download “The Court” for another option. In addition, I do a travel blog and have incorporated that into the pages at the appropriate time.
    Love all that you are teaching me!

12. scrappylady says:

I noticed after looking at the BP “The Courts” on my computer that you used it appears you have more border around the entire page than the actual BP does. Did you just make your photo frames smaller to do this?

• Kerrianne says:

Yes. I used the photo placements from the Blueprint and after grouping them all together, I did a little re-sizing of the photos to be more in the centre of the pages.

13. scrappylady says:

My daughter and I did a road trip from VA(I went from NH to VA first) to Colorado and back in June. We stopped at some amazing places along the way and between us we took over 1,000 photos! I was excited to scrapbook them but dreading it at the same time 🙁 BUT this is the perfect way to make this much easier and fun to do. Thank you sooo much.

14. Tracie says:

Just the encouragement I needed! I was thinking about doing this for my vacation photos. I don’t need a lot of journaling … it’s just for my husband and I to enjoy. I was debating about the size, but now I know: 12×12 so I can fit in a lot pictures.

15. Deanna Emmert says:

This proves a point for me. Sometimes it’s OK to let the photos tell the story and for others to interpret as they sometimes do. I can do other pages with as much or as little journaling as I want. Thanks, Kerrianne. Darren’s book is gorgeous!

16. Jan says:

I know what you mean, Kerrianne. I recently did a book for a friend – almost 1000 photos – with some text that she had written, but she wanted plain white backgrounds (NO PAPER!!) and no embellishments. I had fun choosing text and colors for the titles, but other than that, it was all about getting photos on the pages. And guess what? That book is one of my favorite ones EVER!

17. Corene says:

We always say that by the time would develop photos and purchase albums to put them in, we would spend the money we spend on our digital albums. Love the just photos idea and will think about it for some future projects.

18. Dottie Moyer says:

This is amazing- for those of us behind in our scrapbooking… one or two less pictures and a little journaling with one or two small embellishments. We just might be able to catch up. Thank you so much for sharing.

19. adakallen says:

Perfect for some pictures that I am going to have to do soon!
    THANKS!

20. Janice says:

These pages are absolutely wonderful! I love the photos, and the fact that you had that book done in no time at all for Darren! What a fabulous experience to be part of!

• Kerrianne says:

He had a fabulous time and yes, the book is really nice to look at all those photos and serves a purpose, but I did say he needed another book now – with a few stories! 🙂