Here you will find the answers to our most frequently asked questions about Artisan 5 software. If you have specific questions about a particular problem you are having, these are best asked in our Artisan 5 Good2Know Facebook Group, or send an email to info@pixels2pages.net. If your question is of a technical nature, these should be addressed to Forever tech support. We will continue to update this list as questions arise!

About Artisan 5

Q. How do I know what my current Artisan version number is?

A. You can check under the Help button (the small blue circle with a question mark at the top right of the Artisan screen). The Help Menu often pops up outside the Artisan main window. If you can’t see it, move Artisan to the left of your screen and the menu should be visible.

Click Help > About and your version number will be displayed.

2015-10-17_2356

Click HERE to find the current version  of Artisan 4 And 5.

To download the latest version please visit forever.com/downloads

Posted in: About Artisan 4, About Artisan 5

Permalink.

Q. I’m having trouble with Artisan 5 since I updated.

A. If you are having trouble with Artisan 5 following an update, it may be that the update has not downloaded or installed correctly. Before contacting Forever support, we suggest you try the following steps:

1. Reboot your computer. Shut it down, wait for 60 seconds and then start it up again (i.e. don’t just click Restart)
  2. Delete the Artisan5Setup.exe file from your Downloads folder (or wherever you chose to save it).
  3. Reboot again.
  4. Download a fresh copy of the update. You’ll find the latest version at www.forever.com/downloads. Run the update, and when asked to choose between modify, repair or remove , choose Repair.
    Choose_Repair_SA
  5. Reboot again.
  6. If you are still having trouble, contact Forever Support on support@forever.com or 1-888-FOREVER.

Permalink.

Q. Where do I find the most recent Artisan 5 update?

Click HERE to find the version number of the most recent version of Artisan 5, and to download updates if available.

Please note: In the earliest version of Artisan 5 there was known bug that prevented the software from checking for updates automatically. Check your version number if you are unsure whether you are using the latest version.

Permalink.

Q. Why can’t I see the two page spread option?

To see the two-page spread option in Artisan, you need to be in a photo book, not page prints. We recommend creating your project as a book, even if you plan to order your pages as page prints, to take advantage of the new live two page spreads.

2015-10-01_0847

Permalink.

Q. Where is the elements panel? or the operations panel?

The elements panel is on the left hand side as it was in Artisan 4. However, it is possible to minimise it to increase the work space. If yours has been minimised, you’ll find a little triangle at the top of where the elements panel usually is. Click that & the elements panel will reappear.  The same function is available on the operations panel on the right side of the screen.

Elements_Panel

Permalink.

Q. Can I run Artisan 5 on a 32-bit computer?

Artisan requires a 64-bit computer to run. The vast majority of users will already have a 64-bit computer.

If you have a 32-bit computer you can continue to use Artisan 4. Artisan 4 will continue to be available to purchase.

Permalink.

Q. I don’t have the Quick Access Toolbar I keep hearing about?

If you are running Artisan 5 in Basic Mode, you won’t be able to see the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT), and a number of tools and buttons will not be available to you.

We recommend using Advanced mode even if you are a beginner.

To switch between Basic and Advanced mode look for the toggle in the top right corner of the screen.

2015-10-01_2131

Permalink.

Q. My content didn’t transfer across to Artisan 5?

If you are running Artisan 4 or StoryBook Creator 4 on your computer, Artisan 5 will give you the option of transferring your digital art kits, tags, categories and more when you are installing. If you skip this step, or it doesn’t appear, you can run it manually.

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Forever\Artisan 5

2. Find a file called MigrationAssistant.exe. Double-click this file to run the Migration Assistant.

Migration_Assistant

Permalink.

Q. How do I get photos from Historian to Artisan 5?

A. Until there’s an update for Historian, it doesn’t know Artisan 5 exists. However, if you choose  to share to Artisan 4 (or SBC4, if that’s what you have), and then choose to add to an open project, Historian will recognize your Artisan 5 projects. You do need to have your project open for this to work.

Permalink.

Q. Can I have Artisan 4 and Artisan 5 on my computer at the same time?

A. Yes you can. Artisan 4 and 5 are totally separate programs and can be run simultaneously. We recommend keeping Artisan 4 and using it to complete current projects until you are totally comfortable with Artisan 5.

Permalink.

Q. Why didn’t Artisan also copy my projects across?

A. At the bottom of the Welcome Screen in Artisan 4 and 5, you can see icons representing your most recent projects. Your projects are not stored inside Artian, but are in Windows folders on your computer. The welcome screen icons are just links, and are not the projects themselves.

When you first open Artisan 5, because it is a new program, and you haven’t opened any projects in that program, so there won’t be any icons there. Your projects are still safely tucked away in the same location as they were before.

Remember that once you open a project in Artisan 5, it will not be able to be opened in Artisan 4, so we suggest you don’t bring across a project you are in the middle of until you feel comfortable with Artisan 5.

Permalink.

Q. Why is there a yellow warning triangle on so many of my text boxes?

A. One of the new features in Artisan 5 is a warning which shows if you have spelling errors in your text. These might be actual errors, or names and foreign words that are not listed in the dictionary. The warning will show you what the problem is, if you hover over the yellow triangle. To get rid of a spelling warning, you can correct the spelling, add the word to your user dictionary, or turn off  or modify the warnings if you really want to. Regardless of what you do, the warnings are there to help you, and they DO NOT print on your pages.

For more information:

Permalink.

Q. How do I find my activation code for Artisan 4 if I bought the Artisan 5 upgrade version?

To use the upgrade version of Artisan 5 you will need to enter your activation code (also known as Product Key) from Artisan 4. To find it, open Artisan 4, and click on the Help button (top right corner of the screen), and choose About.

2015-10-17_2356

You will see your code listed. Copy and paste it into the relevant box in the Artisan 5 activation process.

2015-10-17_2353

Permalink.

Q. Help! I have lost a whole heap of pages after duplicating my project!

NOTE: THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED. ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU ARE RUNNING THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF ARTISAN. YOU WILL FIND INFORMATION ABOUT THE LATEST VERSION HERE.
There have been a few posts recently about people losing pages when creating duplicate projects. The problem is that when you use ‘File > Save As’ the projects are still linked, so if you delete the pages from one project, they appear to be deleted from the copy as well.
Our advice is not to use the ‘Save As’ option until this issue is resolved. Meanwhile, your options are either:
1. Create a new blank project with a different name and import the pages you want from the original project into the new project.
OR
2. Open Windows Explorer (File Explorer), copy the entire project folder and paste it in a new location with a different name.
If you have already “lost” some pages, you should be able to retrieve them. The pages are not actually deleted from the original project, but the link to those pages doesn’t work. So you can open your original project and re-import those pages.
Click HERE for instructions on importing pages.

Posted in: About Artisan 4, About Artisan 5, Tech Talk

Permalink.

Q. How do I know if I have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

To find out if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows in Windows 10, do the following:

Click on Settings > System > About. Under System Type you will see either “32-bit operating system” or “64-bit operating system”.

To find out if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, do the following:

1. Open the Windows 8 Control Panel.
  2. Touch or click on System and Security within Control Panel.
    Note: You won’t see a System and Security link in Control Panel if your view is set to either Large icons or Small icons. If so, find System and touch or click on it, then skip to Step 4.
  3. With the System and Security window now open, click or touch System.
  4. With the System applet now open, titled View basic information about your computer, find the System area, located under the large Windows 8 logo. The System type will say either 64-bit Operating System or 32-bit Operating System.

To find out if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows in Windows 7 or Windows Vista, do the following:

1. Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
  2. Under System, you can view the system type.

If your computer is running Windows XP, do the following:

1. Click Start.
  2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  3. If you don’t see “x64 Edition” listed, then you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.
  4. If “x64 Edition” is listed under System, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

Posted in: About Artisan 4, About Artisan 5

Tagged with →

76 Responses to Artisan 5 FAQs

1. Vaudeth Oberlander says:

I just bought Artisan 5 after using Story Book Creator for many years and i’m becoming completely frustated. Now i can’t type in my text box. What’s up with that? I spend so much time trying to figure things out it seems i will never finish my story book.

• Jan says:

Sorry you are getting frustrated, Vaudeth! Have you watched either the Back2Basics lessons or the Artisan 5 Pixie Power Minutes? I think you’ll find the time spent watching them will be well worth it! To answer your specific question – it sounds like you haven’t hit “OKAY” in the bottom right of your screen (on the operations panel) after creating your text box. Same as in Artisan 4, just in a different position.

2. Catherine Macdonald says:

How do you get a single photo to go across two pages in A5?

3. Joyle Goeken says:

I am new to P2P and just found out there is an Artisan 5 update. I found the link up above. I installed it and it asked for my activation code. I went to my Artisan 4 to use that but it did not work. Is the Artisan 5 upgrade free? and if it is how to I find my activation code?

Thank you ahead of time!

• Alison says:

No, Joyle, Artisan 5 is a new program and costs $29.95 for those who already have Artisan 4 (a reduction on the $59.95 regular price). When you purchase Artisan 5 at the upgrade price, you will be asked to enter both your Artisan 4 activation code and the Artisan 5 code you will receive in an email.

4. susan holston says:

Hi,
    I just went to artisan 5 from 4. I am not able to import my previous project?
    Help..
    Susan

• Shelley says:

You should be able to open Artisan 4 projects in Artisan 5. They won’t show up in the recent project icons on the welcome screen util you open them in A5, but if you click on File > Open and navigate to the location of your project, it should open without any trouble.

5. Veronica Wilson says:

Question, can I create a 12 x 12 page in Artisan using a redesigned one, then save it and import it to use as a 12 x 12 page in a 12 x 18 calendar? I bought a ton of predesigned pages a while back and didn’t realize I couldn’t use them in a 12 x 18 calendar. Am really liking Artisan 5.

Ronnie

• Shelley says:

Yes, you certainly can Veronica. Here’s a tip with detailed instructions. It was written for Artisan 4 but the technique is the same in Artisan 5.

• Veronica Wilson says:

I tried to follow your instructions, but I don’t have any of your one-page blueprints. I was referring to one of the predesigned pages in a kit for a book. The Creative Memories content is what I have. For example, the Noel 12 x 12 Digital Predesigned Pages. If I want to use page 10 as the top part of my December page in a 12 x 18 calendar. Confused!

• Shelley says:

OK. The steps are much the same for a pre-designed page as for a Blueprint. What you’ll need to do is have a 12×12 project open, and open the page you want to use on your calendar. Then follow the instructionsin the tip from Step 3 onwards.

• Veronica Wilson says:

OK, I’ve got the idea. Too late for this calendar, I already have 6 months done so can’t start with a blank slate. But will definitely keep this in mind, this is so slick! You folks are amazing! Thanks.

6. Vickie Brown says:

I upgraded to Artisan 5; no problems. However, I am trying to open an old project in Artisan 5 (could have even been Storybook 4 before I changed to Artisan 4 when CM folded); Anyway – I am unable to open it. I remember in Artisan 4 you had an option of opening a project by converting the files, but 5 is not giving me that option. I went back to Artisan 4 and couldn’t open it there either. Any suggestions? Thanks. Vickie

• Vickie Brown says:

Hi Shelley, Vickie here again. Update on my efforts. On my computer, I opened the file for the project in question and there were 2 folders: “images” and “recycle” and the Storybook symbol (green & blue S). I right clicked on the “S” and this time the option for “open with” was there so I selected Artisan 5. The symbol converted to the Artisan 5 symbol. Back to Artisan 5 – “open project” – this time the project appeared in the selection bar when I clicked on it. I then clicked “open” and it acted like it usually does when opening a project (no errors, etc.) – but then it’s not there in Artisan 5. More thanks. Vickie

• Shelley says:

It sounds like everything is working as it should. When you say “it’s not there in Artisan 5” do you mean it isn’t showing on the list of recently opened projects on the welcome screen?

7. Suzanne Ventura says:

I cannot find the “match color” option that was available when editing photos in Artisan 4 (under the “adjust” option). Is it available in Artisan 5?

8. Chris Schilling says:

OK Pixies!
    I am a long time P2P member, who has been too busy to DigiScrap for a very long time, and just made the jump to Artisan 5 on my new computer, so I am doing a bunch of things at once. I am trying to learn Artisan 5, move everything to a new computer and re-acquaint myself with everything here after a looooong absence. My plan was to do the Back2Basics course and then proceed through your other tips and lessons as I recognize my needs. I have moved my purchased content and managed to unlock it all, but have not begun to move Pixie Dust, CM freebies or any other personal stuff yet. If I start w/B2B, will it apply to Artisan 5 and get me to reinstalling/moving everything? Is this the best place to start? I want to start off with good organization this time instead of everything everywhere and without tags etc. I will be working in short bursts, hopefully every day. I can’t wait to get back into this.
    Thanks,
    Chris

• Shelley says:

Welcome back Chris! Our Back2Basics course is currently still in Artisan 4, but we are working on getting some basic training in A5 up as fast as we can. You’ll find everything we have so far on A5 HERE. As for moving your content, THIS would be the best place to start, and for organization, you’ll find a ton of info HERE.

9. Cheryl Millar says:

I just upgraded from Artisan 4 to 5. All my personal art kits seem to have copied over but not the commercial Art Kits used when changing template from Art Kit. Also the fonts that I added to installed fonts are not there. Any suggestion? I am afraid to “re copy” from Artisan 4 in case all my personal art kit end up installed twice.

• Shelley says:

You will have to re-add your installed fonts, they don’t seem to copy across. The fonts themselves are on your computer, but you will have to add them in the Installed Fonts section. With regard to your commercial art kits, are they not there in A5 at all or are they greyed out?

10. Nyoia says:

How do i rotate a blueprint 90 degrees, in artisan 5? I have found how to rotate elements but not the entire blueprint. Please advise thanks

11. Ruth Bell says:

In Artisan 4, when looking through my content in Content Manager, my favourite way to do that is using the tag option. I cannot see how to do that in Artisan 5. Now, when I am trying to learn things in Artisan 5, I will go to Artisan 4 and check my tags and then see which kit the embellishment or paper is in ….. then head back to Artisan 5.

12. Dawn Beaulieu says:

I have Artisan 5 upgrade from 4. I am enjoying the new features but I would like to know how to ‘Save as pages’. Meaning saving the whole finished page so that I am able to save them on a CD or memory stick for my mum. She likes to just put the disc in and look at the finished pages. Artisan 4 would save all the pages in a book like that but I have not been able to save my full pages in 5, all it does is same a full cope of the book that one would have to use this program to view. Thanks

13. Mike Madigan says:

I’ve shifted from Creative Memories to Artisan5, and I like the improvements and expanded suite of tools. But one thing really bugs me: I use a lot of foreign names, accent marks, etc. in my books, and virtually every text box gives me one of those yellow DANGER! signs, warning my of spelling errors. I’ve double-checked; there are no spelling errors, just foreign names and places. Is there any way to get rid of, or limit these painful triangles? They get in the way.

• Jan says:

You can adjust what warnings show and where by going to Options under the blue help button (top right corner of the screen in Artisan 5). You can also add those words to your dictionary if they are things you use often.

• Barbara says:

Can you help me with how to add those words to my dictionary? I am having the same problem as Mike, for the same reason. When I see the warning sign, I can’t figure out how to add the word to my dictionary to make the warning go away. Thanks.

14. sue benton says:

I was upgrading to Artisan 5. I filled out all the required information, gave my credit card into, then found out that since I have a 32 bit computer, I cannot upgrade to Artisan 5. Hopefully that fee was not taken out. Maybe it should be clear before hand that a 64 bit computer is needed before going through all that trouble.

• Justine says:

Hi Sue, All the System Requirements state that 64bit Windows is required to run Artisan 5 – I totally understand, my laptop was running 32bit too!! I got my computer guy to do a Clean Install of my computer with 64bit windows, so it is possible to upgrade (without too much fuss or expense – certainly not the cost of a new computer) The added benefit of the clean install is that your computer is like new. It’s a bit of a pain to reload everything but my computer is working beautifully now 🙂 and I have Artisan 5 🙂

• sue benton says:

Justine,
        I was just talking with my computer guy and he said it wasn’t so easy or cheap. I would have to buy a new Windows program with a 64 bit, then uninstall ALL programs and reinstall them with the new 64 bit software. Yes, the computer would be clean and like new but the expense and time would not be worth it. I would like my money refunded.
        Why can Artisan 4 run on a 32 bit computer but the 5 version can not? Makes no sense as you will lose possible new users and definitely old users.
        Who do I need to contact about refund?
        Thanks for info but Artisan 4 works fine for me.
        Sue

• Jan says:

Sue, I’m sorry you’ve run into an obstacle with Artisan 5. Please contact support@forever.com regarding a refund. To answer your other question – Artisan 5 is a much more powerful, faster program than Artisan 4; in fact, it is built on a different platform than Artisan 4. The short ‘techie’ answer is that Artisan 5 is a vector-based software, and it needs a 64-bit machine to run. Artisan 4 was a pixel-based software, and it will run on 32 or 64 bit computers.

15. LindaIOSMe says:

Now that I’ve upgraded to Artisan 5, how do I get Historian 4 to recognize that it exists? When I try to “share” a photo from Historian, it only finds Artisan 4. How do I change that?

• Janice says:

Linda, At this stage: if you have a project open in Artisan 5, then when you share from Historian and click on the Artsian 4 option and your open Artisan 5 project will show up and you can still share directly from Historian.

• LindaIOSMe says:

So it does! I saw that option, but wasn’t sure where they’d go and was too cautious… Once again, thank you! (The more I use A5, the more I like it!)

16. Ann Durham says:

Having a problem with moving my contents into my category when I click and drag the file it goes into the right folder but still stays in the not in any cat. folder, it does not go away from the not in any category folder. Hope this is making sense.

Thanks

• Alison says:

Yes Ann, that makes sense. You should find that the kits will disappear from the “not in any category” folder after you have refreshed or closed the software and re-opened. They remain there for a little while so that you can add them to more than one category if you wish.

17. CorinnePitt says:

I just bought and downloaded Artisan5. I was skeptical about learning a whole new system, (using Storybook4 now) but seeing these FAQ and your tips on downloading helped me make the jump.
    When downloading I was following the step by step instructions you have, but one step came up that wasn’t showing in your instructions. It asked if I wanted to copy my content info over. I wasn’t sure what this meant, but clicked yes, to copy it from Storybook4, and it looks like ALL my content, tags and sorting has come over just perfect!
    I see where others here didn’t have content and tags make the transition, so just wanted to let you know. I’m so excited!
    I’ll start watching tutorials, but am sooo thankful for your tips and information.
    I would NOT have made the jump without your ladies help!

18. denise says:

Is there a way to see the full character map of the installed fonts in the same manner as font kits? Often doodle fonts have something other than the letter when typed. I see that the name of the font is printed in that font, but I’d love to see what all the letters look like. Thanks!

• Alison says:

“Installed fonts” are those fonts you have imported into the software to use as shapes. They will appear in your content Library under the heading Font Kits. You can generate a preview contact sheet for these fonts. The other fonts you have availabe to use when you are entering text are not actually installed in the software. They are stored in your computer’s system and accessed from there by the software. To see what each of those fonts has in it you will need to look in your Fonts folder in Windows. There you can see a preview of each font. If there are fonts you want to use as installed fonts in Artisan (dingbat fonts for example), you can do that by following these instructions: https://www.pixels2pages.net/2015/05/19/artisan-tip-installed-fonts/

19. tjbeland@msn.com tjbeland@msn.com says:

I am having difficulty viewing all my font choices. I can only get the program to allow me to scroll down into the M-N section before it closes. Any ideas on what I am not doing correctly so that I can view all my fonts?

• Shelley says:

It may be that you have a bad font file. If you try again and note where it stops, then delete the one after that (or just move it out of the font folder). That should allow you to get to the rest of your fonts.

20. Dena Owens says:

How do you crop photos in Artisan 5?

21. Karen says:

Hello. I have downloaded A5 but didn’t transfer my content when I installed the program. I double clicked on the MigrationAssistant.exe as you mentioned above; however nothing happens. Nothing opens to ask me where the content is located. Is this how it should be working? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for all you pixies do! I love this site and enjoy the training, the blueprints, pixie dust, etc. …karen

22. Jo says:

Thanks Shelly. As I couldn’t wait to find out if I could upgrade from Storybook 4, I just bought the full Artisan 5 and didn’t know how to get my Content over. My question has now been answered here. I hadn’t purchased Artisan before because it was rather tricky to have the books printed in Australia. Do you know if it will be possible to have Artisan 5 printed in Australia, as I’m thinking that postage from USA will be expensive (especially with the present exchange rate)? Just loving this program and haven’t even scratched the surface.

• Shelley says:

Actually I have ordered some books from the US, and even with postage it was cheaper. That was when the exchange rate was a bit better though!

• Helga Wandel says:

I’ve been told that the way to order your photo books for printing in Australia (if you want to use Artisan 5) is currently to export all pages of the project as Jpgs (you can tell it to do all pages) and then create a new project in MyStory Designer and import all the pages as if they were photos. Put one on each page, then order as usual. MyStory Designer is not currently compatible with Artisan 5, but I’m hoping that will come in the future. Hope this helps.

• Dawn Beaulieu says:

Jo, Have you tried uploading your book to be printed by mystory.com.au? That is exclusively in Australia. They may print with Artisan.

• Shelley says:

MyStory doesn’t print directly from Artisan. However you can open an Artisan 4 project using myStory Designer and then upload your project to the myStory printer in Australia. At this stage myStoryDesigner does not work with Artisan 5

23. Arlene Young says:

I can’t seem to get an answer to this question: How can I change the setting of the c:drive to the e:drive as a default when downloading art kits or blueprints?
    I am aware that the Artisan must stay on my c:drive; got it.
    As of now, I have an added step; downloading the art kits/blueprints from the default c:drive to bring them over to the e:drive. Please help. Or will I always have the added step?

24. kathy says:

I am slowly learning to use as I had not purchased previously and was using my creative memories
    but I think I will like it. I had a problem with my activity code staying and then I am having trouble with downloads in my account but tech service is working on that one.

25. Laureen says:

This is awesome Ladies. Thank you for creating a place to have our questions about A5. It was so nice to see you all in Atlanta and as always, you did a great job teaching, presenting and sharing all you great knowledge with us at FOREVER Live. Thank you from the button of my heart. Hugs Laureen