Artisan 5 is the newest version of our favorite digital scrapbooking software. If you haven’t purchased it yet, you are missing out on some great new features!

• Artisan 5 runs lightning fast
  • Better content management
  • Font manager
  • Lots of new text options
  • Every element can be edited
  • Strokes
  • More customization options
  • The Quick Access Toolbar
  • and more!!

To purchase Artisan as a new user click HERE. To upgrade from Artisan 4 to Artisan 5 click HERE.
Note: If you are using StoryBook 4 or earlier you will need the full version of Artisan 5.
To use the upgrade version you will need your Artisan 4 activation code. Click here for instructions on finding that code.

The instructions below apply to anyone who is installing Artisan on a computer which already has Artisan 4 or StoryBook Creator 4 on it.

IMPORTANT: ARTISAN 5 RUNS ON 64 BIT COMPUTERS ONLY. IF YOU HAVE A 32 BIT COMPUTER YOU WILL NEED TO USE ARTISAN 4. To find out if your computer is 32 or 64-bit, click HERE.

INSTALLING ARTISAN 5

To install Artisan 5, double-click the Artisan5Setup.exe file you downloaded, and follow the on-screen instructions.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 1.29.15 PM

Click Next to start the installation. You will need to accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 1.29.29 PM

You will be offered the option of installing Artisan in a location other than the default location. We DO NOT recommend that you do this unless you are very comfortable with the back end of computers. Just click Next.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 1.29.42 PM

When the installation is finished you will see this success message. Click Finish.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 1.30.15 PM

ACTIVATING ARTISAN 5

The first time you open Artisan 5 you will be given 4 options:

• Buy now! If you have downloaded the trial version, you can purchase the software. You won’t need to download it again, but will receive a product key to activate the software.
  • Try it out. You can trial Artisan 5 for up to 30 days for free.
  • Activate. Click here to activate your software (see below).
  • Exit. To close Artisan 5 click Exit.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 1.31.53 PM

To activate your software, click the Activate button. You will probably get a warning popping up. Click Yes.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 1.32.08 PM

You will need to enter your product key. You will find the product key in the email you received from Forever after ordering. You can also log in to your Forever account to retrieve your product key. Copy the product key and then click the blue link (“Paste product code from Windows Clipboard”), or type the product key into the spaces.

Select your current Forever account if you have one or create a new one and click Activate. You will need to be online to activate your software, but once it is activated you do not need to be online to use Artisan.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 1.32.31 PM

MIGRATING DIGITAL CONTENT FROM ARTISAN 4 OR SBC 4

The first time you open Artisan, the Artisan 5 Migration Assistant will open. It will copy all your important data from Artisan 4 or SBC4.

A5_Migration_Assistant

First choose whether you want to copy your data from Artisan 4 or StoryBook Creator 4. If you have both programs on your computer, choose Artisan 4.

The data that will be copied are:

• Your content activation codes
  • Your content library folders
  • Tags and Categories
  • Any customisations of calendar dates and the user dictionary.

You should make sure all those boxes are checked and then sit back while Artisan does all the work for you. It may take a few minutes if you have a lot of content, but not long.

If you choose not to migrate your content, HERE is an FAQ on doing it manually.

The first time you open Artisan, your content will index. Depending on the amount of content you have and the speed of your computer, it might take some time. This should only happen once. If you add new content, or reorganize content, it will reindex, but the process will be much quicker. This indexing is one of the reasons Artisan 5 runs so much faster than earlier versions.

Indexing

When the indexing is complete, Artisan will open and you can being scrapping!

Tagged with →

23 Responses to Artisan 5 Tip: Upgrading to Artisan 5

1. Kathy Strawn says:

I have been working in Artisan 4 and just upgraded to Artisan 5. After installing software every was going along great until I got to the indexing, it indexed most of my content and my computer went to sleep because I was not watching it. There is still more content left to index. What do I do it is just frozen in time!

2. Lisa Geske says:

i am trying to activate Artisan 5. I need the Artisan 4 activation code. Where do I find that? Help

3. Caroll says:

I don’t think I got the option to migrate content from SB 4. I’ve opened Artisan 5 and can’t figure out how to import content. Is there a way to get that option now?
    Thanks for your help ( :

4. Sherri Fischer says:

Have you determined how to “easily” move A4 to A5 on a new computer? I can’t load A5 on my old computer where my A4 is located due to the 64 bit restriction. So, the dilema.

5. LindaIOSMe says:

Do I need to back up my current Storybook 4 projects before converting to 5? What about the really old albums that were 3? (I’m a pack rat!) Or will they just open up an “convert” properly to 5?

• Alison says:

You should always have your projects backed up regardless of whether you intend to open them in Artisan 5 or not. Do you have Artisan 4 or only SBC4? We suggest you make a copy of any unfinished projects you want to work on in A5, so that you can go back and open the original in 4 if you have any problems. Once a project has been opened in A5 you won’t be able to open it in the earlier software again. There is no need to convert finished projects to A5 projects unless you really want to do new work on them. You should be able to open SBC 3 projects in A5 if you need to, but again, save a copy and open the copy and leave the original as is. Does that help?

• LindaIOSMe says:

Yes, that does. And yes, I did mean Artisan 4… It would help a lot if I only worked one project at a time, but no, I must have at least a half dozen or more of them! I do back the projects up – but probably not as often as I should, either. Will “Forever” end up with a place for storing old projects, or only photos? Now to get brave and hit “install the upgrade”! Thanks!

• Alison says:

You can save jpgs of completed pages in your Forever account – it’s a good extra backup plan. Go for it on the upgrade – we have lots of help here for you if you need it!

• LindaIOSMe says:

No work today and no one else home, either. Spent the afternoon backing up the project files – there were 24 of them! Yikes – they must be multiplying in the dark. But, a few were “completed”, so I ended up with 14 to back up. Then I downloaded the new software. I had dinner while it indexed, and am now happily playing. It sure is fast. Very odd – it’s the same but different. I already like what they’ve done with all the fonts – even if I haven’t figured out how to fill in the folders yet… Thank you for your help and encouragement.

6. Lynn Bailey says:

Try not to get too discouraged! New technology often comes with some growing pains. We have had such good outcomes with Artisan and Panstoria, I’m sure they will be able to get you back to creating wonderful things again soon!
    (Just another creator who lucked out this time!)

7. Janis Zimbal says:

I upgraded to Artisan 5 on the 28th. I have a New computer which is a 64 bit with windows 10. I am having so many issues!!! I have contacted support and they had me send a diagnostic report to them so they can give it to the software developers. I am hoping to hear back from them tomorrow on how to resolve my issues. Looking at the above steps for download and I see only one thing that was different and it did ask me to enter all my Artisan 4 information below the Artisan 5 code. The error I am receiving is: HD34.page is missing. I’ve sent this to Support. I have 4 projects that I converted in Artisan 5 and truly regret it at this time. I’m so far behind on creating my projects. I’m stuck and at their mercy at this point since I have converted my projects. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx

• Shelley says:

I wish I could help but all technical support questions need to go to support@forever.com or phone 1-888-FOREVER.

• Janis Zimbal says:

Thanks Shelley, I am so frustrated! I’m thinking about going back to my Artisan 4. Unfortunately I will loose the projects I converted To A5 but honestly Support could not give me Any idea when the problems would be solved. I’m a little overwhelmed at all the problems everyone is having with the upgrade. Since I am on a deadline to get a couple books finished going back to A4 might be a better choice for me, just not sure. I appreciate the Pixel Ladies and love all your ideas, help and videos.

• Shawne says:

I am also having a lot of issues. I wish I had “try it” before I purchased or converted my books over. It doesn’t not run faster like stated. It actually bogs my whole computer down and loading each page takes much longer. Very bummed. Wish I had just stayed with 4. I’m going to call and see if they can give me a refund. Any suggestions on how to get my projects back to 4?

• Shelley says:

Shawne you can’t get your projects back to Artisan 4. There is a warning that pops up before you convert projects to Artisan 5. However Artisan 5 is running much faster than 4. If your is not then you need to contact Forevr support (email support@forever.com or phone 1888FOREVER). Whatever is happening now should be fixable.