Curious about what’s new in Artisan 5?  Wondering where some of your favorite tools and buttons are hiding?  Sit back and relax as Anne takes you on a quick tour of Artisan 5.  Be sure to stay until the end, even though we know you’ll be wanting to try all of the awesome innovations you’ll find in this amazing new software!

Just a note – Artisan 5 is a completely new program, built on a different platform than Artisan 4 or StoryBook Creator 4.  There are three things you need to know:

• You must have a 64 bit computer to run Artisan 5.  If your computer is a 32 bit machine, you will not be able to use Artisan 5.  Not sure what you have?  Click HERE to learn more.
  • Because Artisan 5 is built on a different platform, that means you can run Artisan 4 (or SBC 4) and Artisan 5 on the same computer.  We recommend that you leave Artisan 4 on your computer until you are feeling proficient on Artisan 5.
  • Once you have opened an Artisan or SBC 4 project in Artisan 5, you CANNOT open it again in a previous version.  If you have unfinished projects in Artisan 4, we recommend that you finish them there.  Start a new project or even just a practice project in Artisan 5 until you are comfortable with it.

If you enjoyed this free video, please check out our other free offerings on the Resources page.  We invite you to register for a 1 month Free Trial of pixels2Pages if you have never been a p2P member before.  Finally, if you are serious about learning to use Artisan 5 (or Artisan 4 or Historian), you’ve come to the right place.  Click HERE to join pixels2Pages today!

Checkin’ Out Artisan 5 [9:18 mins]

Tagged with →

57 Responses to Video Tidbit: Checkin’ Out Artisan 5

1. Marianne Syslo says:

I just upgraded to Artisan 5 and it looks like everything copied over. The only thing that I cannot seem to find is my Tags. I tagged most of my emblishments so that if I am looking for Word Art or a heart etc. it was easy to find. I cannot find those (probable just not knowing where to look).

2. Sandy says:

This will definitely be a video I will be going back to for refreshers. I love that fact that the kit names are in the properties now. I can’t tell you how many times I added something to a page but forgot to make note of where it came from.

3. Dawn Beaulieu says:

How does the wand work in Artisan 5? I used the wand in 4 more times than I can count and I really miss it. I have tried to use the one in 5 but it is so different.

• Shelley says:

The wand is one of the big improvements in A5, as you have noticed it is really different! I am working on a video right now explaining it all, which will publish in a few weeks. You are going to love what it can do!

4. Lisa Moore says:

Anne thanks for the video, it was very clear & informative. I love Artisan 5 & I am learning new things every day!

5. Glenna says:

I am already loving A5 and this tidbit was very helpful. In A4 you could put your photos at the bottom of the screen, but I can’t find a way to do it in A5. Can it be done? Thanks again, great tidbit.

6. Poretz says:

Thanks so much for the video. When I opened Artisan 5 my kits were not in the correct order. Can you move things around in the content area?

7. Mickey says:

I recently opened a project in Artisan 5 that I had made in Artisan 4. Today in reading your information I have discovered that once it is opened in 5 it is no longer available in 4. Going through the pages in the book I have noticed that often the pictures are no longer centered in the frames. Also in the elements there is a lock beside each of the elements on the page. How do I unlock the elements now that they are in Artisan 5 so I can re-center pictures? If I were to re-print the book would I have any issues?

• Jan says:

Are you able to click on the lock to unlock the elements, Mickey? Also, have you run the latest updates on Artisan 5? Initially, photos that had been zoomed in Artisan 4 showed up off-kilter when opened in Artisan 5, but I believe that was addressed in the first update. HERE is the update link. You would need to make sure the preview of the book is right before printing!

8. Jan says:

Thanks for the video, it will help me find things so much easier. My issue is that when I try to send photos to A5 to start a project, A5 isn’t available in “share”. Maybe I missed something when I downloaded the program. Is there another way to get photos into A5? Thanks

9. diane says:

I have purchased artisan 5 and not all content came over . How do I bring the rest of my contents over? Thank you in advance

• Shelley says:

We have an FAQ which answers that question. Here’s the LINK. If it still doesn’t work, you may need to locate your content and import it manually. This TIP gives the steps required. It was written for Artisan 4, so the screenshots look different, but the method is the same.

10. Maria says:

Thank you for the video. I have a question about Artisan 5. I currently am still working with Storybook Creator 4.0 and was wondering if I can transition from it to Artisan 5 without much difficulty or will I have problems. Also, I assume I will not be eligible for the upgrade option and will have to pay the full price but I wanted to check to make sure. Thank you again.

• Shelley says:

Artisan 5 is set up to transition equally from Artisan 4 or SBC4, so you shouldn’t have any trouble. You are correct that the update is not for SBC users.

11. Deanna Emmert says:

FABULOUS! Simply FABULOUS VT, Anne! Thank you so much. I guess I’m one that already left behind A4 when I downloaded A5. I’ve been working in A5 ever since and creating and posting pages. But for you to introduce all of these wonderful topics is REALLY COOL! I’ve already changed my background from light to dark….sooooooooooooo easy on my eyeballs!! I’ve stretched out the left panel. Yay! I will be working with my fonts. Makes so much sense. Right clicking…will get used to doing that too. THANKS SO MUCH, ANNE!!!

12. Jenny says:

Good to hear your voice behind the microphone Anne! The video was great, I was in two minds as to whether I wanted vs needed Artisan 5, but you’ve convinced me to download it as did two of my friends today. It took me a bit to get my head around where some of the things went to, so the video definitely helped.

13. Karen Jones says:

Very helpful video to get me started. Well I already started, bumbling a bit, but really like what I see so far.

14. Janice says:

Love this Anne – you’ve done an awesome job! I think I’ll listen to you every night just before I go to sleep! 🙂

15. Eulanda Silvey says:

Great overview!!! Am so far loving the new A5!!

16. lisa meeks says:

How does one use this program on an apple computer. a4 on an old pc and getting a new Mac. Can I transfer historian over and use A5 on it?
    Thank you. Lisa Meeks

17. LindaIOSMe says:

Great video! Very helpful. I must say the “learning curve” for A5 is insignificant — I can do more with it in a week than I could in a month with any of the previous variants! I love the font manager. Just one nit to pick – I was moving tagged content between my folders, and it lost the tags. Is there anyway to make a tag “stick” with it’s content, regardless of which folder it’s in? That would make my life so much simpler!

• Shelley says:

You are right that the learning curve is not nearly as great as previous major upgrades were (eg SBC3 to SBC4)!!
      On the question of tagging, the tags of personal art kits are somehow embedded in the folder structure, I don’t really understand the technicalities but that’s what the developers have told me. SO unfortunately there’s nothing can be done about that. When you tag Panstoria kits, those tags are in the kit itself so are transferrable.

18. Katelyn says:

Thank you so much for this! I have a question; when I brought a current project over from Artisan 4 to Artisan 5 some of my text boxes were *shifted* (not sure what to call it). Whereas earlier the text boxes were fine now some of my text has moved and I’ve been going through the project rearranging my text and even enlarging a text box.

Any idea what’s happened or is happening? Did something go wrong when I upgraded?

• Justine says:

By “shifted” do you mean that you now have warning triangles in your text boxes? It could just be that you need to run “spell check” on them as the warnings may just be that – you can hover over the triangle to see what the warning is alerting you to.

19. Teresa says:

Thank you so much!!!! That was a great overview. Now I’m ready!

20. Asmaan says:

Oh wow! thanks Anne!…didn’t know about and now will love the right click in elements panels to see the properties and know what kits its from!!! 🙂

21. Liz Propst says:

Thanks Anne…..you made it very clear!! I’ve been working in A5 for about a week and am beginning to feel right at home, but I do need to click those buttons because I know there is much still to learn. No need to go back to A4….I’m diggin’ in!! A5 and gets an oooohhhh aaahhhhh from me!

22. debbie says:

My question is similar to Linda DeLaughter concerning tagging content if we are finishing up projects in A4 and learning in A5.
    Two other questions:
    1. Assuming A4 & A5 must not be open simultaneously?
    2. Will you have to “point” the software to where the content is stored in the EHD when you are sometimes using A4 and A5? Or will it “just know”

This was a great video. I was going to wait to take the plunge but now know it will be sooner rather than later.

• Shelley says:

1. Yes, you can have A4 and A5 open at the same time. You can’t work on the same project, but each program is actually uite separate.
      2. When you install A5 it will migrate all your content, tags and categories for you. As you correctly suggest, it doesnt actually move the content, it just points the software to the correct location. So, yes, it pretty much will just know.
      We have some instructions for installing on our resources page.

23. Donna says:

Great summation, Anne. It is different but it’s the same once you educate yourself on where everything is placed. From the first day that I started to play in it, I thought A5 was fantastic. It has all A4 had but with added pizazz. Kudos to the designers and techies for giving us a quality product. The training videos and challenges that you pixies will provide is just an added benefit. I can envision this product will be used for many years to come.

24. Linda DeLaughter says:

I have loaded A5 onto my new computer and all of my content has transferred over to it. In the meantime, I have purchased some new kits that need to be imported into Artisan. If I import the kits into A4, will I be able to use them in A5, or should I import them directly into A5? I need to “tag” all of the content in these new kits, etc.

• Shelley says:

Excellent question Linda! If you add content to A4 in an existing folder, it will appear in A5. Any tags will also copy across. You may need to restart A5 in order to see the tags or even the content. You may need to move them into categories in each program, as categories work slightly differently.

25. adakallen says:

This VT was helpful…I saw things I had not seen before!
    Suggestions:
    Handouts with VT would be helpful! At least an outline! It takes me 15-20 minutes to watch and re-watch a 5-minute video so I can take notes along the way.
    A tab on the bar at the top for A5 would be would be helpful!

Thanks, Pixies for all your help!

• Jan says:

Ada, adding handouts to our videos would mean prices would go up, but we are open to the suggestion! However, in this case, have you checked our Resources page? HERE is a link to a handout about A5. We have set up a new category for Artisan 5 – check the dropdown boxes under videos and tips.