BlogHeader_Kim_ScrapbookingStuffI was so excited for this quarter’s virtual crop.  I had not completed many pages recently.  The only pages I was working on were pixels2Pages work assignments.  The layouts I was getting done for p2P were pretty random.  Looking for pictures that work well or feature what we are showcasing, creates a lot of random pages for me.  Just so happens I was working on my next Video Tidbit, Power Layouts – Digi Style. (publishes Jan 21, 2016) Being organized to work on a series of photos really helps in getting pages done.

Power layout pagesHistorianAlbum

I think the most powerful tool in a digi power layout is in Historian – the album making feature.  There, I can put all my photos in the order I want.  Because I often am getting pictures from multiple sources, the photos don’t “sit” together in the file structure of Historian.  The album feature allows me to put “like” photos together.  That enables me to eliminate photos that aren’t necessary.  It also ensures I have all the photos that go together.  I hate it when I do a series of layouts and then find a photo I forgot to include.  The proof is in the pudding – I completed 16 layouts in two days!  All I had to do was grab a group of photos from my Historian album and have fun creating!  I hope you find my lastest Video Tidbit helpful in getting pages completed in 2016!

Blog_PowerLayouts_SamplePage1

9 Responses to Blog: Power Layouts – Digi Style

1. Jo says:

Is there a video to this or just the pictures shown? No instructions?

2. Barbara Mitchell says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this tip! It will save me tons of time, and I love using power layouts!

3. Jan H says:

I just discovered the album planner tool. Have already organized one album and getting ready to do another. Wish I had discovered this earlier. Thank you for the blogs, videos, Facebook pages that are constantly pushing us to learn more!

4. Karen Weaver says:

So would it be safe to say Historian is much more detailed in saving & organizing photos, and planning albums, more so than just using Forever? I’m new to ALL of this so I’m trying to learn all the ins& outs. TIA for any input.

• Kim says:

Hi Karen,

When working through photos, organizing, then creating a “sub” album in Historian works better for me. Forever has good editing options, but Historian is more robust. I tend to put photos in my Forever account after looking through them in Historian. Now, when I am traveling and taking photos on my iPhone, I do like to put them in my Forever account first. But, I would probably download them to Artisan to work with. It would just depend on how many photos I needed to work through. Hopefully this helps…. Kim

5. Terry Vachowski says:

I can’t wait to see this, Kim. It was my first time planning pages with Historian for this crop and I got so much more done. I know I have MUCH more to learn though. I actually had to plan each DP as an “album” to keep my brain from getting confused. Hoping the video will help me get ready for a retreat crop in March. Thanks!

6. Bobbie says:

I’ve used the Album planner a couple of times. This is a tool that I have definitely under used! Maybe I can get my projects done in a more timely manner if I do that. I just can’t bring myself to delete pictures of my grandchildren in my vault (because they are all perfect you know–not really). I’ve just started working on a project for our trip to England last year and just didn’t know where to start. I do now….with the album planner!

• Kim says:

Hi Bobbie! One of the things I love about the album tool in Historian – when I remove a photo from the album, it doesn’t remove the photo from my vault. Can’t wait for you to see the video tomorrow and see what you think.
      Kim