A Personal Art Kit (sometimes called PAK) is a collection of elements, usually papers and embellishments, for use within Artisan that are not in the proprietary “.pakit” format. These might be freebies, or elements you have created yourself, for example. In this tip the illustrations will be based on Day2Day Pixie Dust (formerly available from pixels2Pages.net), but the same method applies whatever the source of your elements.

There are two common methods of creating a Personal Art Kit. In this tip I will explain the method I consider to be the simplest. The other method will be described in an upcoming tip.

1. Depending on the source of your elements, you may need to download them. If they are in .zip file format, you will need to unzip them.
  2. In Artisan 5 open the Content Manager.
  3. Click Create Art Kit.personal art kit
  4. Choose a name for the kit (in this example Day2Day Pixie Dust).
  5. Choose the location for the kit. The location will be one of your library folders. Your screen will probably look different to mine. If you have not created any Library Folders of your own, choose the pre-installed folder called Personal Art Kits. (Click HERE for more on Library folders)

PAK_001
  6. Now it is time to import your elements into your personal art kit. Use the buttons at the top of the screen to import your elements. In this tip we will consider papers and embellishments only, as they are by far the most common elements.PAK_002
  7. Click Paper to import papers into your personal art kit. Usually (but not always) papers are jpeg files. Papers are always rectangular or square and have no transparency. Navigate to the folder on your computer that you downloaded or saved your papers into. Select the papers in the collection and click Open.

PAK_005
  8. Click Embellishment to import embellishments into your personal art kit. Usually (but not always) embellishments are png files. Embellishmnents can be any shape and have varying levels of transparency. Navigate to the folder on your computer that you downloaded or saved your embellishments into. Select the embellishments in the collection and click Open.

PAK_003
  9. That’s all there is to it. Your kit is saved. Close the personal art kit by clicking the x, and your personal art kit will be available to use in your projects.PAK_006

Points to note:

• Day2Day Pixie Dust is designed to complement Day2Day projects. However there are many elements within the collections that would be useful in many other types of projects.
  • Many designers present their kits in multiple folders within folders. When importing your papers and embellishments, you will need to open each folder in turn to access all the elements.
  • If you wish to add to an existing personal art kit rather than start a new one, select the kit in the library and then click Edit Art Kit.PAK_007
  • If you have inadvertently imported a paper into embellishments or vice versa, they are easily moved. Click here for instructions.
  • Any element can be renamed or deleted from a personal art kit by clicking the drop-down arrow on each element and choosing the appropriate command.

18 Responses to Artisan 5 Tip: Creating a Personal Art Kit – Method 1

1. rgouveia@comcast.net says:

Is it possible to pull Blueprints into the Artisan 5 Personal Art Kits folder?

2. sheila says:

When I purchase Artisan 5, do all my library folders and categories automatically install or do I have to manually reinstall each file?

3. Liz Swenson says:

It’s been awhile since I’ve used Artisan. When I sat down today to create a page I found that I can’t access my personal art kits. All of the kits and images are greyed out. Am I doing something wrong? I updated the latest version of Artisan so I know my program is up to date.

• Shelley says:

You may need to remove that folder and then add it back in again. Even though it hasn’t moved, it seems Artisan doesn’t know where to find it. There are instructions HERE.

4. jewels75 says:

Is it possible to create a personal art kit with alphas that would work with the insert fancy fonts?

5. Ola Otto says:

I have gotten other digital art kits on the web. I’ve downloaded them and am almost finished opening all the zip files, still keeping the integrity of the art kits. Some of them contain PAGE, PNG files, like you have mentioned above. Some also contain PSD and TIFF files. I think I don’t need these, is that correct? (I think PSD is for Photoshop, and since I don’t have or use it, only Historian and Artisan, I think it’s pretty useless to me). Thanks for your help. Ola

• Shelley says:

You are correct Ola. You only need the jpg & png files.

• Ola Otto says:

Thanks, Shelley. Same with subfolders labeled MACOSX, right? assume they are for mac’s? Ola

• Ola Otto says:

Shelley, now a question on fonts – after downloading and unzipping fonts, I know they have to end up in my Windows Fonts folder. Do I only move over the true type? What about Open Type? I appreciate your help. I’ve had some of these for years and not taken care of them….I’m sure you covered this a few years ago….thanks again.

• Shelley says:

You actually don’t even need to unzip them. Open the downloaded folder, double-click to open the font file, and click the Install button at the top of the window. If there’s a Read Me file, check the terms of use. Then you can delete the entire zip file. If there’s a choice between TTF and OTF, choose TTF. That’s it. There’s a tip on installing fonts HERE.

6. Ruth Regas says:

I am not sure where to ask this but this seemed as good a place as any. I have scanned some items that I would like to use on my pages. They are in a PDF mode. How can I get them into Artisan 4 to use? Than you for your help.