BlogHeader_Kim_ScrapbookingStuff

No one wants to get ‘the phone call’.  The type of call that changes all that is important in a split second.  Last Saturday was a normal weekend for the Mannino family.  I was doing some p2P work, AJ spent the night at a friend’s house, Angela was doing a photo session,  Joey was in southern California (about 5 hours from home) with friends and Tony was working his second job.  Tony wouldn’t be home until midnight.  At 8:00pm my phone rang and I saw “Tony Mannino”.  I answered with excitement, “Hi Tony, I miss you”.  The voice that answered wasn’t Tony.  It was a nurse calling to let me know my husband was in a hospital in San Francisco, about two hours from home.  I began to write down the information.  Tony had suffered a major stroke and was in ICU.  I needed to gather the kids.  I called Angela and said,  “You need to get home, and please get AJ on your way home.”  I called Joey and told him what I knew, and told him NOT to get in the car and drive – I didn’t need another accident.  I called my mom.  That is where I started to lose it.  She calmed me down enough to gather what I needed.  The next call was to Tony’s parents.  There is no graceful way to initiate a conversation with such tragic news.  A few moments later Angela and AJ were home.  On our way to San Francisco, I was making calls to family and friends (Angela was driving).  Reaching out to our faith community and asking for prayers were some of the first calls I made.

Turns out Tony had had the stroke around 1:30pm.  When he had the stroke, he was standing next to EMTs and ambulances.  As soon as he fell to his knees, the EMTs were with him in seconds.  He could not have been in a better location for this to happen!  They quickly assessed that it was a stroke and began treatment.  He was transported to the first hospital and then transported to the California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, which is a stroke care center.  He was administered a drug called TPA – this is a clot busting drug.  And even better, the care team did a procedure where they ran a catheter into his brain and were able to pull out the clots that were causing the stroke. By the time we arrived, Tony was stable.  He couldn’t say much and didn’t want to open his eyes, but responded to all the questions the doctors were asking him.  He could move his arms and legs.

After spending four days in ICU, one day in transitional ICU, and one day in a regular room, he walked out of the hospital.  No paralysis or issues with his body.  He does need speech therapy, but we are anticipating a full recovery.  It is a miracle that he is here and doing well! A week later, on Father’s Day, we took him to a baseball game – Tony’s favorite sport!

There are a lot more details to this story – stories of God’s blessings and miracles being first, followed by the love of family and friends literally around the world.  I would like to say thank you to my p2P family!  The p2P team that I have worked with for seven years, my Forever co-workers, and the p2P peeps – everyone has been so supportive!  The pixels2Pages community is very special.  We get to know each other through our photos and stories.  The bond grows deeper when we rally together to support each other.  It is fun to celebrate the good times and come together in the tough times.  I can’t express enough how much it meant to me to have you reach out to me and let me know you were thinking of me and my family.  It is humbling to receive such abundant love.

1. Facial droop is best seen when the person smiles.
  2. Arm: Ask the person to hold out their arms with hands facing up and close their eyes. One side will drift down in a stroke.  Weakness/loss of sensation may be seen in an arm or leg.
  3. Speech: slurred, inappropriate words, or mute.
  4. Time to call your doctor or 911 immediately.

American Stroke Association:  www.strokeassociation.org

National Stroke Association:  www.stroke.org

StrokeNet:  www.strokenetwork.org

21 Responses to Blog: The Phone Call

1. Kaye Rhodes says:

Kim, I’m so sorry this happened to your husband but glad that he’s making good progress. He is blessed indeed.

2. Joyce says:

What an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. Best wishes as he heals.

3. Jan B says:

I am just catching up on June’s posts and saw this. I am so grateful that Tony was in the right place at the right time. I hope the recovery is going well.
    And, thank you for sharing your experience and the information on strokes. Thinnking of you and your family.

4. Bobbie says:

I’m finally getting around to catching up with the p2P family. I’ve been on the receiving end of one of those calls. Praise God that Tony is doing so well!! Prayers for your family and continued healing for Tony!

5. Terry Vachowski says:

Thanks so much, Kim, for sharing this story with us. God is so good. I’m so glad He was watching over Tony that day, and I know He will continue to be with you all.

6. mindys7 says:

Oh my…as a nurse the tears just welled up. Strokes can be so devastating! So glad Tony was so close to help, had good care and that his residual effect is so minimal. My grandmother had a series of strokes and my mother had two major life changing ones in the last year. Will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers!

7. Ken5-G1rl says:

Oh, Kim! Your story made me a little teary-eyed. What an amazing story of God’s providence, care, and healing. I’ll be praying for Tony’s continued progress, and I look forward to an encouraging update on your next blog.

8. Carol Lindberg says:

Wow! What an incredible story and thanks to God for his powerful healing and that Tony only needs Speech Therapy. Prayers and peace to you for complete healing.

9. felisha.walker@gmail.com says:

I’m so glad to hear you have an amazing outcome with Tony. I will admit, my son sustained a concussion in February and it scared us so bad. I only took one or two pictures…and never had any plans of scraping it…but after seeing your story, I’m now going to include it in our annual book.

10. I am so glad that Tony is home and doing so much better! It was truly a blessing that he was standing next to EMTs when this happened and that they were able to start the necessary treatment he needed right at that moment in time. Prayers for Tony’s continued healing.

11. Cindy Rold says:

I’m glad to hear that Tony received such wonderful care immediately and that he was able to return home so quickly with minimal deficits. Wishing him a full, speedy recovery.

12. geri2us@yahoo.com says:

It is so amazing how God works in our lives. So thankful for the good report

13. Taylor Teresa says:

I am just reading this. Praise to the Lord he is okay.

14. Denise says:

Praise the Lord, He is Great!!!

15. Karin Ebuen says:

Oh my goodness! How scary that all must have been. It is so wonderful that he appears to be on his way to a full recovery.

16. Ann Marie says:

God bless you and your family! I am so very glad the Tony will have such a positive outcome. Prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

17. dmhaugen@loretel.net says:

I have gotten that phone call twice and know exactly how you were feeling. Thankful for God’s protection on Tony and praying for continued full recovery!!

18. Barbara Mitchell says:

What a blessing that Tony came through this with so little evidence of the stroke, and what a testimony to Gods’ faithfulness and answer to prayers! So glad to hear that he is doing so well. Continued prayers for full healing from the Mitchell household. Hugs!

19. Karen Fitting says:

Oh my goodness! I’m so glad he’s better and on the mend! What a frightening call! Hugs to you Kim!!!

20. Fay Wilde says:

Amazing how God works his marvelous miracles ! God Bless you all !

21. Deanna says:

WOW! Just WOW! I’m sorry this happened to Tony, but it’s so evident the Lord was with him the entire time! Prayers for speedy recovery and full health for Tony!