Can I just say, I LOVE Historian! I know what you’re thinking, but even though I work for the company, in my humble opinion Historian just has to be the best photo organization software ever. Let me tell you what’s brought on this sudden burst of enthusiasm…

So you know I recently went on an incredible tour through Europe. Needless to say, I took a gazillion photos (yes, that is the technical term) and now I plan to scrap them. Every couple of nights while we were away,  I downloaded the photos from my camera’s memory card to my husband’s laptop, and from there uploaded them to the cloud. I didn’t delete them from the memory card, so I had 3 copies in 3 different places. (Back up, back up, back up!) Meanwhile, my hubby was also taking photos with his phone.

Fast forward to us arriving home. One of the first things I did (after having a wonderful sleep in my own bed, that is) was to import all the photos from my memory cards, and from Rob’s phone, into Historian. And that’s when I realised – I hadn’t changed the time on my camera! The whole time I was in Europe, snapping away, the camera thought it was hours later than it really was. Rob’s phone, of course, was set to the correct time, so when I looked at all the photos together in Historian, they were all out of whack with each other. My photos from the morning had times in the mid-afternoon, and those taken in the evening had the next day’s date on them. It was a mess!

What a relief that it’s an absolute snap to fix this in Historian! First I needed to isolate all of my photos – easily done by changing the view to sort by Name instead of Media date. Then I selected all my photos, right clicked and chose Adjust item dates and times, set the time on the first photo to 8 hours earlier, and voila! All the photos magically adjusted themselves to the correct time and date. Actually, not quite correct. My camera wasn’t just in the wrong time zone. I hadn’t checked the time on it for ages, and it was also 17 minutes fast. No problem, that could be fixed too.

With all my photos in the correct order, I could go through them and cull the dud ones, star rate them and add details about names and places. I wanted to get that done asap, before I forgot it all. Comparing the timestamp on the photos to the tour itinerary, the notes I jotted down as we went, my diary, and the maps we picked up, it was easy to identify all the places and add descriptions. Now, using the timeline to narrow the selection to one day’s photos at a time, the star-ratings to see only the scrap-worthy ones, and with the details right there ready to copy and paste into Artisan, my photos are ready to scrap! All I have to do now is create my book. I suspect next month’s blog might be about how much I love Artisan!

Here’s a sneak peek at the first of my photos – now all in order in Historian 🙂

17 Responses to Blog: Historian saves the day

1. Lisa Moore says:

So thankful to hear this can be fixed. I have run into this when traveling with my daughter in a different time zone. The phones had the correct time information but the new camera had not been adjusted. It really made it difficult to sort my pictures correctly. Thanks for this wonderful information! By the way, I love Historian too!

2. Kathy says:

Thanks so much, Alison. When you are on a trip where you are moving from place to place and snapping pictures right and left you can get confused about what was what. Organizing them in Historian according to time and date would help immensely. I am going to use your tip this fall when I will be doing some traveling. And yes, I love Historian too!

3. Terry Vachowski says:

Oh I wish I had seen this a month ago. On our month long NZ trip we had two phones and two cameras, one of which is so old all the photos have the same date and time. I have now been working in the album planner, and since some of the photos were all over the place I am working on trying to rearrange the strays into the right days using journaling boxes to separate the days, so I will finally be able to tell which are the best of each activity before culling the rest. Next trip you can be sure I will be more organized. If you have anything to add to help me get better sorted, let me know. And thanks, Alison, for this blog.

4. Connie says:

I read this now, a day after Historian was on sale. I could so use this feature

5. Carol Lindberg says:

Thank you. Never even occurred to me. This will be SO useful going forward & backward!

6. Heather says:

Amazing! I had no idea that it was possible to change the date and time on pics! Thanks for your valuable info once again.

7. Cindy Rold says:

That’s a miracle about the Adjust Date and Time. When I did something similar and asked how I could fix it, I was told I would have to change every single photo’s date and time. With a gazillion photos, that wasn’t going to happen. It’s great to know that it’s as simple as changing the date and time on the first one and all the rest will change also. Thank you for the tip!

8. Barbara says:

Holey Moley Alison! I have been struggling with this exact same problem since returning from a wonderful, but very long trip with lots of photos. My camera photos were one hour off (and wrong) from my iPhone photos. I just followed your great directions and now when I sort my photos by date and I can the photos from both cameras together for the same place. For me, the title of your blog should not be “Historian saves the day” but “Alison Saves the Day!” (and my sanity). Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

9. Viv says:

Alison, am I missing something, but I don’t see where I can sort by ‘name’. I can see import & media but that is all. Should I be looking somewhere else as I would love this feature as we too have many devises we take photos on and also I use the kids and they all have different times on them which is very frustrating when trying to put an album together for family vacations.

10. Lindie says:

So cool. Now I need a tutorial on how to change the time etc. I love Historian also. Thanks for this timely tip. Pun intended.