This video will give you a great idea for making quick and easy chevrons to decorate your pages. Watch, learn, then make your own chevrons.

Pixie Power Minute: Easy Chevrons [2:34 mins]

video

Video Notes

To use this technique, you will need:

• A diagonally striped digital paper
  • A horizontally or vertically striped digital paper

Starting with a blank page, go to the Insert ribbon > Shape > Rectangle

In Operations panel:

• Change size to fill your page completely (12 x 12, 11 x 8.5, etc.)
  • Remove stroke (fill does not matter)
  • Create

Position shape at 0 and 0 (x and y axis on QAT – Quick Access Toolbar)

Cut ribbon > Grid:

• 8 segments across
  • 1 segment down
  • 0 spacing
  • Click OK

With all resulting strips selected, go to the Content panel:

• Click the drop down menu on the diagonal striped paper you chose earlier
  • Fill selected shape
  • Each shape should now be filled with the same portion of the paper

Hold the shift key and deselect every other strip.

Arrange ribbon > Rotate > Flip horizontally

Voila!

Now let’s try the horizontal or vertical striped paper, starting with eight empty strips:

With one strip selected, choose your paper in the Content panel and fill selected shape:

• When the cutting board opens, rotate the shape diagonally (you may need to scroll down to see the green rotate handle at the top of the shape)
  • The selected element will fill with diagonal stripes

With the filled strip selected:

• Right click > copy
  • Hold shift key and select all eight strips
  • Go to the Quick Access Toolbar > Fill > paste
  • Hold shift key and deselect every other strip
  • Arrange ribbon > rotate > flip horizontally

Easy peasy!  Now add photos, title, journaling, and embellish as desired.

Here are some sample pages inspired by this Pixie Power Minute.  Click any image in this gallery and scroll through for a closer look:

Don’t forget to share your creations with all of us on our Facebook page.

Tagged with →

17 Responses to Pixie Power Minute: Easy Chevrons

1. lbisset says:

WOW! This is soooo cool!

2. Katrina Grandquist says:

Wow- thank you!

3. Barbara says:

Wonderful Tameka! Thank you for showing us this. I’m doing something wrong, but I can’t figure out what. When I follow the directions for vertically striped paper, I can’t seem to fill the 8 selected strips after I fill one strip, rotate and copy. Instead, I just get one new copy on the page. I’ve been making this work by pasting 7 more times, lining the 8 new strips up and following the directions from there. Then I have to delete the 7 original strips that still have vertically striped paper in them. How do I fill the existing strips instead of creating new ones? What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

• Tameka says:

Make sure you have them all selected …. GO TO THE QUICK ACCESS TOOL BAR (I think this is the step you are missing)… Select the fill option and “paste”. If you do not use the fill button on the QAT to paste a fill, you will just end up with a copy on your page.

4. Johnnie says:

Wow! That is all! 🙂 <3

5. Lindy Keelan says:

Fantastic and WOW!

6. Donna Pullan says:

Personally I ♥ chevron’s so this is a great tip for me. I have to ask though…how the heck did you figure this out? You are very creative and I love watching your videos and learning from you.

7. Jan B says:

Tameka – you are so smart!!! Thank you for sharing. Can’t wait to try this one.

8. debbie says:

Who would have thought! Great tip. Plus I love the way you “filled” all 8 strips in the second example!

9. S Engle says:

Tameka! I am in awe of how you and all the other pixies make such gorgeous and complicated looking elements so quickly and easily! What you do for our creativity is amazing. THANK you for another fantastic technique.
    I also love the blue paper you used in the demo. Can you tell me if the kit is available in the Forever store?

• Tameka says:

Thank you very much. The paper is from the Be Merry Kit. It is an old CM Kit but may be available under Storybook Legacy Collection. The credits play in the lower right hand side during the video.