They call to me. In all their leather-bound, crisp papered, date-stamped, promise-of-a-fresh-start glory, they call to me from the stationery shelves. It’s time to buy a new desk diary (at least that’s what we call them here in Australia – I believe my North American friends refer to them as calendars). Which one will it be this year? What colour will I choose? Will the year be embossed on the front cover? How will the pages be set out? Will this be the year I find the perfect diary to suit my needs?

It probably won’t surprise you to hear that I have been somewhat of a stationery junkie in the past. While other girls were swooning over the latest fashions and hairstyles, I would be ogling fresh stacks of notebooks, the perfectly sharpened points of coloured pencils, boxes of pens lined up in their blue, black and red regimentals ready for duty. Folders, erasers, staplers, paperclips, address books, fountain pens, sharpeners, manuscript paper – you name it – I loved them all.

I say in the past, because these days my stationery habit has been seriously curtailed. I have so little need for stationery now. Most of my folders are the virtual type on my hard drive. Notes are kept in an app on my phone. I might still gaze longingly at the ranks of office supplies in all their enticing, colour-coded array, but I can’t justify buying very much of it. A few nice pens and a couple of notebooks are all I really need. Oh, and the desk diary! That’s the one last indulgence from my junkie days.

I wonder if you’re anything like me? Has the digital age put an end to your stationery buying or are you still just as addicted to the notebooks and office supplies as ever?

PS If you love “virtual stationery” too, check out the Resolutions – Get Organized kit from FOREVER Digital Art!

13 Responses to Blog: The lure of new stationery

1. Liz Propst says:

Allison, You will be missed. Thanks for all the energy and gifts you shared with the p2P community. Be Blessed always!

2. Corene DeHaan says:

I am reading posts from “other sisters” that I didn’t know that I have. I have been a crazy office supply person since a very young age. I bought a portable typewriter when I was about 12 years old. I used my weekly allowance to put it on layaway (a really old term), paid weekly until I could finally take my treasured typewriter home. Then played office with my friends. Still “relax” by shopping in Staples. Haha.

3. L. Cheryl Brandt says:

You’re a kindred spirit! Sometimes I just have to get my office supply store “fix”. Nearly always find something I “must” have, but even if I don’t, I feel better for having browsed there. Of course, I have the same problem with craft stores and libraries. My books are mostly of the e-variety these days, but I love to just sit in a library and read a magazine, then be on about my business! I hope no one will suggest a cure for these addictions…l rather like them!

4. Caroline says:

Alison, I’m right there with you, but I’m also one who still tries to write thank-you notes with pen and ink on real stationery. And I still have to have day planner books and calendars. Yes, I could open a stationery shop with my inventory! Love it!!!

5. Vicki says:

Oh Alison you are not alone in your love for office supplies! Staples and Office Max are favorite places to wander about for my sisters and I. Whenever my sister goes to Staples she sends me photos of all the fun stuff she finds! One can never have too many cute note pads or pretty colored pens now can they!!

6. Terry Vachowski says:

I’m right there with you, Alison. I still need my “agenda” calendar in the kitchen to keep track of our lives, and the journal I write in nightly, but everything else is on the phone. That doesn’t stop me from periodic visits to the stationary department though just to look.

7. adakallen says:

I am loving my Digital Scrapbook Hobby! BUT, I still have MANY office supplies in my house, in fact, my family thinks that my house is their “Office Depot”, “Staples”, etc.

It is the leftover tidbits that drive me crazy (you know too much to throw away OR too little to be useful”. That is why I was NEVER a successful paper and scissors type of scrapbooker.

Merry Christmas,