There are so many little things that bring back fond memories. Even the head cold from which I’m currently recuperating.  It was given to me by my youngest grandson who is 21 months old.  All it means is I got to spend some time with him, cuddling and hugging, and with his siblings over the holidays. And those days were heavenly!  Well worth the cold I’ve had to deal with!

I can look around my house and see signs of my kids and grandkids.  The scuffed up chairs from a booster seat from when my kids were toddlers.  The marks on the table where homework was done and many other such instances. I have a pan well over 30 years old that I was going to throw away after I burned almonds in it.  Believe me it was bad!  Black all over the bottom and sides and, to be honest, with two toddlers it would have been easier to just toss it and buy another.  My Father-in-Law spent quite a bit of time at my kitchen sink scrubbing that pan. You see, he grew up during the depression and you just didn’t throw things away.  I think of him every single time I use that pan. He passed away a few years after this. Maybe that’s when I started learning, maybe it was that experience and now age which has made me even more sentimental or hopefully more patient than I was before. Maybe that’s why I’ve never thrown it away. Some of these things are old memories and some recently acquired.  We’re now missing a door stopper cap and I’m pretty sure we put it in a “safe” place and my grandson didn’t eat it! So why do I not refinish the chairs?  Why not toss the pan now?

I find scuffed or slightly worn things worth keeping now.  My kids are grown and grandkids growing fast so I choose to focus on them and not the stuff around me.  It will all go away one day except the love I nurture and enjoy today.  So I’m thankful that I got to experience scuffed chairs, dinged walls, and a faint picture of the last constellation my Dad and I looked at together.  All of those things help me keep my priorities straight.

I’ve added these pictures to my FOREVER account with descriptions and shared them with my kids. They laugh right now and think I’m silly … age and experience hasn’t quite hit them yet!

Next task is documenting who all the Christmas ornaments are from and who made them.

Enjoying the little things,

Mary

Content: Missing You This Time of Year Bundle and Perfectly Textured Cardstock Bundle both by ;aura Burger. Fonts: Adobe Kaiti Std R and Honey Script.

8 Responses to Blog: Age or Experience?

1. Carol Smith says:

Thank you for sharing, Mary. I read this post 10+ months after you posted it … and it was exactly what I needed to hear today!

2. Phyllis says:

Love this! You said it so well – thank you for your insight and transparency. You’re a really awesome person. Thanks again.

3. Corene DeHaan says:

Mary,
    Your blog made me cry. Happy tears.
    When I see a spring door stop I remember our neighbor in our first apartment (almost 50 years ago). He used to “bong” that spring by our apartment door, he called it our doorbell. He died soon after we moved.
    Thanks for sharing.

4. Kaye Rhodes says:

Mary, I’m with YOU! I look at our kitchen table and the scars it bears after 39 years from toddlers banging their spoons or toys on the top, scratches on the legs from our long-departed furry children, and who can forget that photo of our toddler whose little bottom fit perfectly in the curve of the pedestal foot? As we prepare to downsize and relocate, should this table go with us? It’s hard to discard when it has witnessed our family dinner conversations, homework and projects. If it could speak! It’s no longer stylish, but think it will continue to be part of our home, regardless of its imperfections. It’s just like us, out-of-style and imperfect, but loved!

5. adakallen says:

OH, Mary! I can so relate.
    The latest are the sequins I still find in my carpet. My daughter spent quite a bit of time at my house while we worked on the flower girl dresses for her daughter’s wedding in August 2017. I found a sequin the other day after the house has been vacuumed regularly since August. I hope I remember to take a picture of the next one I find.
    I am 80 so my parents were still feeling the depression era and it is embedded in me also and I must have passed it on to my kids…my daughter’s comment regarding making those dresses versus buying them “I am too cheap to spend that much money to buy them.”

6. Veronica Wilson says:

Mary, this is so true, and beautifully put. I find that if I concentrate on those aspects of my life and surroundings I’m happier and more content. It’s all about balance! Like you said, it will all go away except the love.