Have you ever had your heart broken?  It is not a good feeling at all.  Let me try to make a long story short.  In September, I attended a live crop on Cocoa Beach hosted by fellow scrapbooking buddies turned friends.  It was special “me” time.  Gretchen and Karen know that I don’t often get a lot of time to work on my own projects and this weekend would be perfect for me.   I decided that I wasn’t going to work on a project, but that I would work on organizing my content.   Those of you who know me know that I have a strategically organized library folders.  I love categories and heavily rely upon my very detailed category system.   I don’t love tags.  I recently started tagging, but it is very low on my list of priorities.  At this event in Cocoa Beach, I spent all of my time purging kits and tweaking categories.  I eliminated 1,000 kits from Artisan and fine-tuned my categories.  Then I downloaded about 100 new art kits that I wanted to play with.   Before the weekend was over, all of my kits were reorganized and in their appropriate categories.  I felt a huge sense of accomplishment.

Here is a peak at my categories so you can see how detailed my categories were:

Fast forward to last week (just three weeks after Cocoa Beach and my content organization fest), I was changing some settings to my computer which required me to restart my computer before the changes would take effect.  When I went to restart I had two options: Install updates and shutdown or Install updates and restart.   I was hours away from leaving for another live event (the FOREVER Retreat in Richmond, VA), so I really didn’t want to chance an update.  It seemed, however, that I didn’t have any other choice.   I chose to Install updates and shutdown.   When I rebooted my computer and went to turn my music back on, I didn’t have audio.  Oh no!  Then, my display was not extending to my second screen.  Yikes!  I would get an error message every time I tried to extend my display. I quickly realized that I would not be able to connect my computer to present my training at the Retreat which I was headed to in a few hours.  The problems continued, my USB ports stopped functioning properly and my printer drivers were acting up.  At midnight, I called ASUS Tech support.  I couldn’t believe they answered.  They tried several things (a BIOS reset, reinstalling drivers, etc), but after a half hour, they advised me that I needed to do a factory reset.  They said that I could do a reset and keep my data.  I wasn’t too worried about the data.  I have multiple extensive backups. I was worried about the time that would be involved in restoring my computer to its pre-reset glory.  In the end, I did the reset that would allow my data to stay on my computer.  Wouldn’t you know it – it worked!   My computer was back to normal.  Well…not quite, but it was fully functioning.

Now, at 2:00 am  I begun the tedious task of getting Artisan reinstalled.  It took no time to import my content, but when I went to add the backup of my categories, I realized that during the reset, changes were made to my computer drive.  I now had a Windows.old directory and my content wasn’t exactly where it was before.  This meant I couldn’t restore the categories that I painstakingly organized.   That is when my heart broke.  I had just completed the organization less than a month prior and now all of my hard work was gone. ***sigh***

Well, the good news is I have copies of my categories so I can put them back in just  a few minutes.  Then if I set a goal of spending 15 minutes per day adding the kits back to the categories, I will be good to go in just a few weeks.   After all, I would much rather categorize 2,000 kits, than tag 150,000 elements any day.

My computer has a long way to go to get back to where it was.   I had MS Office, Adobe, Dropbox, Email, VPN Servers, GotoMeeting, Camtasia, and other programs that need to be reinstalled.  I just need an extra minute in an hour, an extra hour in a day, and an extra day in a week.  One thing I realized, is that I have a lot of crap! Meaningful crap.   If everything on my computer harddrive actually took up space in my house, I would only have standing room.  THANK GOODNESS FOR DIGITAL.

As I end my blog, I just gotta let you all know that two days ago (not even a full week after the update) I go to shut down my computer I had two options: Install updates and shutdown or Install updates and restart.   Needless to day, my computer has been on since that day.

(I will update, I just want to give it another week or two before I try.)

14 Responses to The Absolute Heartbreak.

1. Debbie says:

OOH Tameka, I just read your story out loud to my husband and he was cringing along with me. So sorry for your heartbreak!! He thought it was interesting that his latest issue of Maximum PC (Nov 2018) is all about how to fix Windows problems, including how to trouble-shoot or disable Windows Update …. maybe you can find some of that info online or that issue in a store where you are?

2. ANN says:

Is there any tutorial to show how to make categories. I’m in the midst of tagging my kits but after reading about you categorizing kits, I’m definitely interested in that method for the sake of time.
    Thanks Tameka

3. Kim O'Leary says:

Oh, I remember you telling us all about your categories last year in Sebring. This breaks my heart too!

4. Terry Vachowski says:

My heart is breaking for you! Every time I get that same choice (update or update) I get so torn. I have commented to Windows before that it would be nice to at least be able to safely pull your EHDs first, just in case, you know, something BAD should happen. Big sigh. Thank you for sharing that disasters can happen to us all.

5. Vicki says:

I feel your pain Tameka! A few months ago I renamed the folder my content was in and I lost all my kits in my categories, it took me weeks to get my kits in their proper category. Then last month my computer suddenly crashed. Thankfully I had all my content backed up so when I installed Artisan in my new computer everything was there, except the content in their categories! I haven’t put my content back in their categories yet because I’m thinking of moving my content to an EHD and I don’t want to do it twice!! I do hope when the next Artisan comes out that they will find a way to keep our kits in their categories when we move to new computers.

6. Judith McLeod says:

Computers are such wonderful inventions – until they stop working! We are so dependant on them now. Mine crashed, but I was luckily able to retrieve all my data and reinstall the programs – with the help of professionals. Cost a bit but it was worth it. My heart goes out to you, Tameka!

7. HarrietD says:

Tameka,
    I have a couple of questions.
    1. Why did you delete some of your content? I have “issues” when I try to delete mine!! That means, my computer locks up every time.
    2. I have not used the categories section. I use the tags and find it cumbersome (understatement). I had never really thought about it. Thank you! I also like how you categorized under “Themes”, “Style”, etc. Great idea!! But what are the ones that you have a “x” prior to the names and the really interesting ones at the beginning, including the I Don’t Know “IDK”? I also have a section entitled “Travel-International and Travel-USA”. 🙂

• Tameka says:

Hello Harriet. I deleted content that I just knew I wasn’t going to use, or because the designer is retired. As an employee of FOREVER my goal is always to use designers that are currently in the FOREVER Store so that if a p2P member or friend likes a kit that I have used, they will be able to find it in the store.

The ones with an X before it is just because I wanted them to be at the bottom of the list and didn’t want them to mix with my main organization. IDK are things that I just don’t know how to categorize.

• HarrietD says:

Tameka, A Hah! Now that organization makes sense. I did a screenshot of your organization and will tweak it for my use and weird way of thinking. 🙂 And yes, I, too, have some things I just don’t know how to categorize! I’m glad I’m not the only one.

8. debbieloop says:

I had read that this update you are talking about was an update that was pulled because it was doing exactly to others computer that it had done to your! (thankfully I didn’t have any problems!)

9. Taylor Teresa says:

Tomeka, I feel your pain. Historian dropped a few dozen of my photos — my son’s prom pictures. I found an earlier vault and them to get them. LIttle did I know that would case thousands of duplicates. So for many weeks — months — I went through deleted almost 30,000 pictures from my vault. Then…the forward button stopped working. My vault had changed from a vault to a file. That would have been fine — if the forward button would work, but it didn’t. But I found another vault that was a vault and when I checked it, the forward button did work. So, with Melissa from Support’s help, we deleted and reinstalled HIstorian. Everything should be good, right? Not right. Now, items that were tagged are not tagged. So I have to resort everything. And I still have about 2000 duplicates that are now scrambled within my categories. And the forward button works sometime, sometimes not. Apparently, nothing else can be done, so I am just slugging away trying to get a handle on this again. I will never merge vaults again though. EVER

10. pstoodt@neo.rr.com says:

Can you have more on how to back up your programs.