The past few weeks have passed way too quickly for me. I thought once the holidays were over, that the hustle and bustle would slow down a bit. Hmm – that hasn’t happened!

The page below is of a fun night spent with our 11 year old granddaughter. She’s quite the artist and so when a Skill Pop class schedule appeared in my email, listing a Valentine watercolor class, I thought that would be the ideal gift for her. And, it was a gift for me too, getting to spend several hours with this sweet child!

We started off at Capishe – a new little restaurant in Charlotte. She loves spaghetti and meatballs and so that was her pick. I like the pasta with lemon and pancetta plus a salad with divine lemon vinaigrette so we were both stuffed and ready for class! We lingered a bit over supper a little too long – she was explaining something new to me about the French Revolution. Did you know that Marie Antoinette really didn’t say, “Let them eat cake”? Although she did spend lavish amounts on clothes, etc., and was increasingly unpopular with the French citizens. Jean-Jacques Rousseau, a French author, had written a short story which published about the time Marie was 10 and this phrase was in his book. Wondering why I didn’t learn that in 5th grade?

We then raced down the road to class. We found our seats next to the teacher and were given brief – and I mean brief instructions of how to proceed in the creation of our valentines. Dagny jumped right in to experimenting and letting the colors mix in the little hearts that she drew on the paper. I just kind of sat there waiting for some sort of inspiration to smack me sideways! I an one of those that needs guidance and a step by step lesson.  She spent the most time drawing teeny tiny little prickles all over the cute cactus and then painted in a pretty script that said “Hug Me”! I painted a couple that I could leave for Arch and then give to my sister for her birthday.

What I didn’t add was that my D Drive on my desktop – yes, I am a desktop lover from way back, had died the Sunday of our virtual crop. And with it went my ability to create anything in Artisan or reach my memory vault in Historian. I knew that they were backed up and so we ordered a new huge new drive which the ‘Zon promised would arrive within hours. Not! So the next day we started the restoration process. Couldn’t believe how slow – just 18 kb a second. Whaaat? It was my sister’s 82 birthday and so while the computer was doing it’s thing, I made a fast trip to Florida, thinking that when I returned, all would be backed up on my new fast drive. That would be no. We finally complained and IDrive informed us that there was a bug in their system and it had to start all over again. That was 2 days ago and it is now at 13% even with the speed at 19GB per second. AAAARRGH. So out comes the laptop and although Jan is sure that I will grow to love it, and she’s right on most things – but I am highly doubtful!

Just so very grateful that everything important was backed up. But I could just weep at the stress and the time wasted. So you all back up, ya hear?

Happy memory making, Anne

Content used:
#p2P12x12ClassicBlueprintCollectionBundle6
Watercolor Blends Papers Collection, Watercolor Blends Paper Pak by Cottage Arts
Almost Spring Bundle by Designs by Laura Burger

Font: Annie Use Your Telescope

Tagged with →

9 Responses to Blog: Back Up, Back Up, Back Up

1. Debbie Smith says:

I so understand that laptop vs. desktop! I work on a desktop PC but signed up for a P2P Live event in November so guess I will have to join the mobile crowd!

2. Dana Browne says:

I keep thinking about trying one of those painting classes, but I’m afraid that my finished project would be a disaster!

I love and hate scrapbooking on my laptop. I love that it is portable. I love that I can sit in front of the TV with my husband “watching” TV together while I work in Artisan. I love that when I travel for business, I can work on my projects on the plane and in the hotel. I *hate* the tiny screen (and my laptop is a 17″). However, I have learned the joys of plugging in a second monitor. All future laptops I own must have this ability! Now, I have taken over our dining room table — although I do move the monitor when necessary. So, give the laptop two weeks. I tell people the same when changing from paper books to e-readers. Give it two weeks of using nothing but the new device. And, as someone who has lost precious album pages and loads of tagging because she hadn’t backed up, I completely second the “Backup! Backup! Backup!” motto!

• Anne says:

You try those painting classes – 99% of those attending are newbies and you’ll do just fine. It would be fun to take a class each week like I used to but I have so much fun creating “digitally”! I’ve been working on the laptop for almost 2 weeks but keeping a close eye on my desktop too! It’s up to 85% restored! So thinking that laptop will go back into it’s case till convention!

3. Lisa Purrington says:

She is absolutely adorable —- lucky you that you get to spend that kind of time with her!

4. Nandini Trehan says:

Looks like both of you enjoyed the valentine gift!
    I work on a desktop too and mine is 4″ x 4″ Asus that hubby got built for me in 2014. Mine had a few issues with Windows 8.1 just after the crop. So I had it upgraded to 10. I had everything backed up except for the installed fonts. So I would like to remind everyone to not overlook and backup their fonts too!!

5. Cindy Rold says:

I’m transferring everything from one EHD to another, and it’s a very slow process, so I know what you’re talking about.

6. Cindy says:

I’m with you Anne – desktop all the way! Love your page and what a fun night with your granddaughter.

7. Janice Phillips says:

I am with you on the desktop. Anne! Okay, not “on” the desktop with you, but I love my desktop! Hope that yours is up and running soon! I find water colour one of the hardest mediums to use as it it pretty unforgiving. I prefer the evenings where you can use acrylics. Not enough step by step instructions for me either.

8. Darryl Harper says:

What a great story about your Granddaughter. Makes me think of my own. But I just have to say, that as cute as your page is, I prefer the 3 paragraph story above to the short one on the page. It says so much more about you and your relationship with your Granddaughter! As a person who struggles with journaling, I just wanted to say that. It’s just my opinion.