A few years ago, a family member was in and out of the hospital for extended periods of time. Although he loved flowers, he was unable to have any flowers or anything “live” in his room. In order to cheer up his room and give him something pretty to look at, I used Artisan to make page prints.

I mostly used flower photos, because he loved flowers, and I made a variety of prints of the 12 x 12 and the 8 x 8 size for a little variety. That way, he could put them all up at once or he could switch them out as desired for variety.

I also made some prints with inspirational sayings that would give him something positive to focus on. And I made one that was for the nurses about how great they are and how much they give. It was a fun project for me that made me feel like I was doing something at a time when there was very little I could actually do, and the prints brightened up his room.

25 Responses to Blog: Bringing Joy to a Hospital Room by Guest Blogger Cindy Rold

1. Terry Vachowski says:

Thank you for a great idea, Cindy! I never thought of that!

2. Gail Woodward says:

My mom passed away a year ago today. I miss her so much! I made her the 12×18 calendar every year and sometimes used more current pictures but often used pictures from all during her life. I also had lots of birthdays and anniversaries on the calendar portion not only of those still in her life, but also of those that had passed and also noted on the dates they passed. She loved it. So did several of the other residents in her nursing home. I’m thankful I had the opportunity to do that for her for many years. She was 94 when she passed.

• Cindy Rold says:

Gail, I also make a 12 x 18 calendar every year for my 90 year old mom, and she loves it. Sometimes I mix it up using historical photos, as well as current ones. It’s fun to decide what I will create each year. I’m sure you miss your mom greatly. I hope you still have those calendar pages to remind yourself of how fun it was to make them for her. Cindy

3. Ola Otto says:

Cindy Rold, this is just fabulous. Having been in both hospitals and rehab facilities more times than I care to count, I can say what a wonderful gift you have given. And you’re right in that using wall space will definitely give the patient beautiful things to look at. Many, many thanks. Ola

4. Linda Money says:

What a great idea. I sure wish I had thought of this when my daughter was in the hospital for 37 days after having 4 surgeries at once. I spent many a night with her and her daughter and friends did make some banners. I was just so worried the whole time that I couldn’t think. She has an incurable disease so there will be other opportunities still. Thank you so much for sharing your idea. I’m sure it was much appreciated and enjoyed.

• Cindy Rold says:

I’m sorry to hear about your daughter, Linda. I’m glad you now have an idea for next time. It’s so hard to see a loved one in the hospital for extended stays. I also made a print that thanked the nurses. And you could make some with inspiring sayings or Bible verses. The possibilities are endless.

5. Mandy Pena says:

I was just down with my mom in Florida while she was in rehab. She was very confused and couldn’t remember important things. They had a bulletin board up in her room, so I brought photos of people and of her house so she could see them. It helped her remember. Often when people are in rehab, nursing home, or the hospital… pictures are a wonderful tool to help make their world there a beautiful place. Cindy, I think this is a wonderful idea! Thanks for this idea.

6. Judith McLeod says:

Great idea. So many hospital rooms don’t have room for anything. But there is usually a spot on the wall to put something!

7. Cathy Finney says:

What a wonderful idea. Great page too. 🙂
    Cathy

8. Dana Browne says:

How lovely. I’ll have to remember this. I never know what to bring people in the hospital what with all the restrictions now. Fantastic idea.

9. Denise says:

Wonderful idea, thank you for sharing!

10. lbisset says:

I’m sure it brought a bit of sunshine into, what could easily be, a dreary atmosphere. You have a good heart!

11. Viv Mauriri says: